Flat singing still?

Follow all the good advice in this thread, and I would add...sing a lot. You need to exercise all those muscles required for singing. But don't just sing a lot with no attention to pitch. What I used to do is sing along with my favorite records, but keep the volume low enough that you can hear whether or not your pitch matches the pitch of the singer on the recording. When you do that, work hard at matching the pitch of the singer on the recording.
Good luck with your efforts.

I know I've said this many times here in this area of the forum...........and I guess I'm going to say it again................and certainly no personal offense to the OP.............but if you cannot hear for yourself (on playback) that you are flat or sharp or without timing.........etc.........you are lost until you get some proper help..........whatever that may be. If the OP plays any note on a keyboard and tries to sing that very same note........records it and then plays it back.................and still cannot hear if he is off...........well then..........professional help is needed. I know when I'm vocally flat or sharp or terrible in some other way. I think STEEN is correct when he more or less says.........you either have it or you don't in terms of your sense of pitch.

I get you, but I said that I can hear that something doesn't sound right, but don't know how to fix it, I downloaded an app that TAE told me to download so I'll try to learn to control my voice with that..

Hi Mick,
I don't follow through with the "if not" scenario but your post summarises by belief.
I've had people who could hear that a certain note was flat or sharp (slightly) but could hear a difference when I pitch corrected it.
One guy in particular was a decent singer but wouldn't be able to hear that very short joining syllables just weren't on any particular pitch.
After a good while working with the guy he can so I'm confident that the skill can be honed but it has to be there to some extent first.

Deni, do you know anyone who has a good ear and could spend half an hour a week with you? Even just doing the piano thing...Hit a note, sing it, listen to the guy tell you if it was good/bad/otherwise?
It may help a lot.

Hell, you could do it on Skype these days!

I don't have anyone to listen to me because I'm really hiding my voice as I said earlier, and I don't have much confidence when singing either.. That's why I'm asking people to help me here, and so far I've gotten a lot of help and I can atleast know what the right direction is, because I didn't even know that flat singing was a thing before.. I don't even know what the word for flat singing is in my language haha

---------- Update ----------

Follow all the good advice in this thread, and I would add...sing a lot. You need to exercise all those muscles required for singing. But don't just sing a lot with no attention to pitch. What I used to do is sing along with my favorite records, but keep the volume low enough that you can hear whether or not your pitch matches the pitch of the singer on the recording. When you do that, work hard at matching the pitch of the singer on the recording.
Good luck with your efforts.

Thank you and everyone else for the help :D

Last edited:
Back