recording drums with just one mic

Well I can understand that Bonham's drums don't matter to you personally, I get it, you're too cool and too good to have to know where you come from. I mean fuck, I said it myself "that stooges cover was rad". I've listened to it more than a few times.

I owe you an apology for posting about how Andy recorded those drums. I just figured there may be someone, some kid out there who may dig Zeppelin and really wanna know how they are one of the reasons Rock n Roll exists today.

Again, I'm really really sorry that you had to interject yourself right in the middle of a conversations that is clearly so inconsequential to your life.. let's put this behind us and move on.... Cheers.

Dude, WTF is your problem? You are taking this WAY too personally. It's not about "being cool". Being a fanboy has skewed your comprehension of what I said. Everything I do is about knowing where I come from. And since you brought it up, I don't come from Bonham, therefore it does not really matter to me how he recorded his drums. That's not a slam on the guy. I know Bonham is the greatest rock drummer of all time. Duh. My point was legends and rock and roll stories are embellished and mis-remembered. I believed the "only two mics in a stairwell" thing for a long time myself, then I didn't. I found information that made me think differently because it seemed more logical than an urban legend. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't change anything. The reality is that none of us are Bonham, none of us are playing his kit, and none of us are Bonham playing his kit at that point in time in a stairway of some english castle, so again, it doesn't really matter how Bonham recorded his drums.

Art is subjective. Science is not.
Totally irrelevant to the conversation. Nobody was talking subjectively about "art". Either Bohnam's drums were miced with close mics, or they weren't. It's not subjective. But nice try.

Last edited:
Art is subjective. Science is not.

Well, in hindsight, you're right. But before we can prove something, science can be subjective or speculative as well. Before they had any way to test it, they assumed that the earth was flat because that's what their senses told them.

Just like today, there are still plenty of things we don't fully understand, like dark energy, the interior of black holes, or what caused the big bang. So and theories on those types of things will certainly be speculative and subjective.

Totally irrelevant to the conversation. Nobody was talking subjectively about "art". Either Bohnam's drums were miced with close mics, or they weren't. It's not subjective. But nice try.

But in the world of quantum mechanics, they could be both close-miked and not close-miked. :)

If it's possible to get the drummer in before your session, have him/her play while you move around the room and carefully listen with your ears for the sound you want in different positions and place your mic there. Use the mic's response pattern to focus on the part of the kit you want to be prominent. With a live jazz trio in a 20 ft x20 ft somewhat dead live room I placed a cardioid condenser about 7 ft away & 7 ft high from the kit with good results. For the upright bass I used a blanket to control bleed from the drums (so that the players could maintain visual contact with another) condenser about 1/3 (in my case about 2+ ft.) the distance from the bass. The bass was somewhat 'boomy', so I positioned the mic's horizontal axis with vertical angle of the bass, directly where the strings were 'plucked', and the f-holes somewhat off-axis of the mic. I also picked up the midi output of the keyboard and replaced its sound with a sampled 9 foot German Steinway in the DAW. Musicians absolutely LOVED the results.

To the OP. Yes you can record with one mic. Don't listen to anybody's mic position suggestion, just experiment by moving the mic around. As always a good drummer that can balance (mix) himself is what you potentially need. Good luck guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, WTF is your problem? You are taking this WAY too personally..

I apologize if I was rude.

I posted a picture of Andy Johns and myself. Andy was a good friend and co worker. He was the engineer who recorded that album (along with many other classics) and we've had many discussions on how he recorded it. He passed away about a year and a half ago and I miss him greatly.

Maybe I take it a bit personal when I'm talking about his work because I was so close to him. Again, I apologize.

Last edited:
According to Jimmy Page in the book "Light and Shade" about the drums on When the Levee breaks
when asked "How on earth did you get the drum sound on When the Levee breaks ?"
We were working on another song in the front room of Headley Grange when a second drum kit showed up. Rather than stop what we were doing, we told the people bringing it in to just set it up in the entrance hallway. The hall was massive and in the middle of it was a staircase that went up three stories. Later, Bonzo went out to test the kit and the sound was huge because the area was so cavernous. So we said "We're not going to take the drums out of here !"
Andy Johns hung a couple of M160 microphones down from the second floor, compressed them, added some echo and compressed that as well and that was all we needed. The acoustics of the stairwell happened to be so balanced that we didn't even need to mike the kick drum. Jonesy and I came out in the hallway with our headphones and left the amps back in the room and banged out the rhythm track to "When the Levee breaks" right then and there.
Later, when asked if he regretted not stumbling on the sound sooner {it was one of the last tracks recorded for the album along with others that later ended up on "Physical Graffiti"} he said
No, that would have been a trap. You wouldn't want everything to sound as big as that. It works because it's in contrast to everything else
I made the point in a thread a couple of years ago that for me, the significance of the drums on that song is that none of the drums on any of the other songs were recorded that way. Neither did they ever record any of the drums on any other song like that ever again, even though they recorded parts of "Houses of the holy" and "Physical Graffiti" at the same house.
Levee is a total one off.
Page says he worked really hard with mic placements on drums during Zeppelin {he rates it as his major contribution as an engineer/producer} because he felt drums sounded crap in the 60s. His mantra was "distance = depth."
I have wanted to set myself a challenge of using just ONE mic to record a kit, has anyone done it before here ?
When I started multi~tracking at home in '92 on four and eight tracks, I could never understand why the sound of the drums was never as good as it was back in the 80s on a shitty boom box ! I have tons of jams I recorded while on bass, circa '82~'84 and you can always hear every part of the drums so clearly. So it was a surprise when I found I couldn't achieve the same with vastly superior equipment.
Obviously, I had much to learn !
I used to put three mics through a mic mixer, balance and then record on one track. Sometimes, it sounded good......until I mixed in everything else. I specifically moved over to digital and the ability to record on 8 tracks at once so I could capture the drums as I wanted {took a while though, through much trial and error}. Anyway, a few years back, I was recording with a friend in the warehouse of my workplace and in addition to my standard miking, I had a single crummy superlux mic rigged up in the back of one of the vans to act as a kind of poor man's room mic. It was about 8 or 9 feet away from the kit, about 4 feet off the ground, pointed somewhere between the the top of the bass drum and the top of the rack toms. Later, when I listened to the 9 or so songs we recorded that night, I could not believe that one mic. It sounded neat {to my ears}. It was better than the overheads and the kick was so clear and prominent. The snare had a lovely snap to it that I've rarely achieved.
It was a dynamic mic, to boot. Maybe if you have a dynamic and a condenser, you could set them up next to each other and see which sounds better.
For all that though, I wouldn't ever again record with just the one mic !

I have never done this even never heard is it true that recording can be done with one single mic ...
Please tell me also how to do? I will also try...
Want career in music.
Thank you

Last edited:
I have never done this even never heard is it true that recording can be done with one single mic ...
Please tell me also how to do? I will also try...
Which bit did you miss ?

Cardioid three feet off the floor and two or three feet in front of the kick, aimed at the drummer's chest.

Yup, this. Keep it low-ish.

If it's possible to get the drummer in before your session, have him/her play while you move around the room and carefully listen with your ears for the sound you want in different positions and place your mic there. I placed a cardioid condenser about 7 ft away & 7 ft high from the kit with good results.

Yes you can record with one mic.....just experiment by moving the mic around. As always a good drummer that can balance (mix) himself is what you potentially need.

I had a single crummy superlux mic rigged up in the back of one of the vans to act as a kind of poor man's room mic. It was about 8 or 9 feet away from the kit, about 4 feet off the ground, pointed somewhere between the the top of the bass drum and the top of the rack toms.

Back