recording drums with just one mic

Btyre2013

I have wanted to set myself a challenge of using just ONE mic to record a kit, has anyone done it before here? I thought it would be fun trying it.

Cardioid three feet off the floor and two or three feet in front of the kick, aimed at the drummer's chest. I used an iFet.

I've never done it but I don't see why not, if it works. They used to record a whole band with one single mic in the early early days.

---------- Update ----------

Not to sound like a dick, but unless you have a spectacular room, an amazing mic, and a $5K kit...why?

Why not? It's all subjective. Maybe he's not going for the traditional drum sound.

Drums for Led Zeppelins "When the Leeve Breaks" we're recorded in a Castle tower with 3 Mic's 2 stories above the kit. You'll never know until you try...

From what I was told, there weren't any close mic's used.....?

That's the legend, but I've also heard and read otherwise from roadies, his own drum tech, and engineers that a traditional Glyn Johns setup was used and they added the way up high in the entryway mics. At the very least a kick mic was used. I suppose we'll never actually know because all parties involved are now dead, old as hell, and time creates different memories. And of course it's rock and roll legend, even if it is potentially misleading. The legend sounds better than him actually using spot mics. I personally believe just from the sound of it that close mics were used and the entryway mics were blended in in heavy doses.

That's the legend, but I've also heard and read otherwise from roadies, his own drum tech, and engineers that a traditional Glyn Johns setup was used and they added the way up high in the entryway mics. At the very least a kick mic was used. I suppose we'll never actually know because all parties involved are now dead, old as hell, and time creates different memories. And of course it's rock and roll legend, even if it is potentially misleading. The legend sounds better than him actually using spot mics. I personally believe just from the sound of it that close mics were used and the entryway mics were blended in in heavy doses.

I do have to say ive heard many many a story of the Loch Ness Monster splicing tape back in those days, so im usually pretty careful of who i believe. I do think i have a pretty reliable source on this one though.. ;)

Photo Sep 29, 7 40 36 PM.jpg

You can believe in loch Ness and your source. I truly could not care less. In the grand scheme of things, how Bonhams drums were recorded is inconsequential to me personally. I'm just gonna need a more credible source than an Internet guy before I change my mind or blindly believe rock and roll stories.

You can believe in loch Ness and your source. I truly could not care less. In the grand scheme of things, how Bonhams drums were recorded is inconsequential to me personally. I'm just gonna need a more credible source than an Internet guy before I change my mind or blindly believe rock and roll stories.

Well I can understand that Bonham's drums don't matter to you personally, I get it, you're too cool and too good to have to know where you come from. I mean fuck, I said it myself "that stooges cover was rad". I've listened to it more than a few times.

I owe you an apology for posting about how Andy recorded those drums. I just figured there may be someone, some kid out there who may dig Zeppelin and really wanna know how they are one of the reasons Rock n Roll exists today.

Again, I'm really really sorry that you had to interject yourself right in the middle of a conversations that is clearly so inconsequential to your life.. let's put this behind us and move on.... Cheers.

If you are recording big band, jazz and 60s/early 70s pop, or folk, or 30s pre-swing then one mic is rarely a problem, and authentic sounding. The minute you start on a music genre that needs proximity effect and isolation for individual eq, it doesn't work. If you listen to the raw kit, and it sounds 'right', then a single mic is doable. When you walk into the heavy metal session and hear a thin, lightweight kit, it would be a bit pointless to even try.

Back