Re-amping? Is it this simple?

OK, you guys are getting me close to what I want to do. Mr' Clean's screen shot helped. I first had to go to Preferences and change the "Last output" to 3, and then go back to the channel output and assign the track to channel 3. So, now I don't hear the guitar track in the mix, which is good. But it's not getting to the amp, which is bad. But we're getting closer. :)

When I right click a channel fader, I get
View attachment 89155
Don't know why you would get a different box...

I don't get a different box. But I don't see the same thing at the bottom of the right hand side because I don't have SSD or anything else as a Recieve. Other than that, I'm getting the same box.

OK, you guys are getting me close to what I want to do. Mr' Clean's screen shot helped. I first had to go to Preferences and change the "Last output" to 3, and then go back to the channel output and assign the track to channel 3. So, now I don't hear the guitar track in the mix, which is good. But it's not getting to the amp, which is bad. But we're getting closer. :)

Not being a dick, but did you wire up hardware output 3 to the amp?

Not being a dick, but did you wire up hardware output 3 to the amp?

:D

Sorry, I had to take off for an hour.

You mean, did I run a wire from output 3 to the amp? Yes. I'm going to try again in a second, I was in a rush when I was talking to you guys before.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanx. :cool:

OK, works like a charm.

I forgot to turn the volume on my amp up when I tried it a few hours ago. Amazing what a few hours can do. I was an idiot, but I'm older now. :eek:

You guys are the awesomest. I love you. :)

Glad you got it sorted man, I always re-amp as I record, everytime usually....That way, if my amp'd track sucks, I've still got the di, so I can re-amp it later with a better/different sound...

I had to buy a Radial RMP (about $100) because my interface had lots of noise & hum going directly into the amp, but since I got the re-amp box, problem solved...

I always set up 2 tracks to record at the same time, a di and an amp'd track...I always kill the master out on the di, so I don't hear it at all, what I hear is coming from my amp...you can ALT/CLICK the I/O button on any track in the mixer to kill the master output...But, since you've gotta set up a new hardware output, it's just as simple & easy to untick the master out when you add the new output...

Again, glad you got it sorted dude...

Glad you got it sorted man, I always re-amp as I record, everytime usually....That way, if my amp'd track sucks, I've still got the di, so I can re-amp it later with a better/different sound...

I had to buy a Radial RMP (about $100) because my interface had lots of noise & hum going directly into the amp, but since I got the re-amp box, problem solved...

I always set up 2 tracks to record at the same time, a di and an amp'd track...I always kill the master out on the di, so I don't hear it at all, what I hear is coming from my amp...you can ALT/CLICK the I/O button on any track in the mixer to kill the master output...But, since you've gotta set up a new hardware output, it's just as simple & easy to untick the master out when you add the new output...

Again, glad you got it sorted dude...
Thanx man. I checked out the price of "Reamp" boxes. Holy shit! $200. I'm not spending that on something like that. From what I understand (and I might not understand), can I not just get a cheap Boss pedal, bypass it, and put it between my interface and amp? I'm getting a bit of noise, but really, it's less noise than I get from plugging my guitar and it's P90 pick-ups into my amp. The only noise I'm getting from doing this is a kind of swishy interference, but it's way lower than the actual guitar signal, so I'm not too worried about it.

I'm so glad I discovered this. I re-did the guitar tracks for 2 tunes yesterday, while doing the all the tracks for a third tune. No way I would have been able to do this much recording if I had to crank my amp all night. I just downloaded a free guitar sim, found a sound close to what I want, and used it as an effect, but only recorded the direct sound. I'm going to reamp everything this afternoon when noise isn't an issue. I love it.

I know I'm late to the party,
but regarding impedance I found this video excellent:

Never too late, brother. Thanx a lot. I'll checkout the video later. Impedance are Ohms is something I just never could get my head around.

Last edited:
I think there are passive boxes that are less than $200. You were probably looking at the Radial active unit with all the bells and whistles. There are a couple passive units out there that are around the price of a decent passive DI, which is essentially what it is. (a reamp unit will have a different transformer than a di, which is why running a di backwards doesn't always work very well)

I think there are passive boxes that are less than $200. You were probably looking at the Radial active unit with all the bells and whistles. There are a couple passive units out there that are around the price of a decent passive DI, which is essentially what it is. (a reamp unit will have a different transformer than a di, which is why running a di backwards doesn't always work very well)
You're right. The first one here is only $100. I like the 5th one from the top. $1400. :laughings:. But it comes with a ribbon mic. :D

reamp | B&H Photo Video

OK, I hope I'm not over-thinking this. But I recorded a sample of the noise that's coming out of my interface and going into my amp. This is with the amp cranked and ready to record. This "noise" comes in at -53db. I didn't alter the volume of it, as you can see if you check your meters.

Now, do I really need a box of any kind? -53db....the guitar signal drowns the hell out of this. At this volume, you can hear the guitar from across the street.

One thing for sure. I haven't checked the actual level in numbers, but the noise from the P-90's on my SG is WAY louder than this when I plug the guitar into my amp.

Attachments

• Noise -53db.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
If you're good with the noise then it's fine. Usually if there's a noise issue that a reamp box could help fix it will be immediately obvious and obviously wrong. Most of those instances are ground loop related, and there are cheaper ways to sort a ground loop then buying a fancy transformer. The transformer is what makes those boxes so expensive, and some of them are really good - custom designed for this purpose - but that ain't cheap. Compared to a couple minutes re-plugging the mains connections on your gear or snipping the shield on a cable...

But if you got lucky and don't need any of that, then just go with it.

There is no god damn impedance issue!

Hey dude, I bought the $100 Radial RMP, the cheapest one I could find...It fixed my hum/noise issue immediately...My noise/hum problem was really bad though, so it's really up to you if you wanna spend any $$$ on the noise thing...Again, my problems were so bad I pretty much had to buy the re-amper....I even tried some different methods suggested here, but again, they didn't work for me....

I listened to your noise mp3, & that sounds about normal to me, so you've hit it pretty lucky compared to me...

Keep us posted!!!

There is no god damn impedance issue!
But that video above is pretty good. He never quite gets to the real point - everything is a voltage divider - but he does a good job of describing what's happening. He's talking (almost) exclusively about the other end of the chain, though. That is actually the most important part of the process. You want to capture off of the guitar as close to what it would be doing going into the amp as possible. The passive guitar is kind of emo - overly sensitive to the conditions it finds in the outside world. Heavy loads (low impedances creating greater demands) cause it to get dark and mopey.

But the opamps (or transistors, or to an extent tubes and transformers) are optimistic over achievers. They're always ready to give all the current you could ever need right up until they reach their physical limits.

The inputs of guitar amps are like the emo child's enabling mother. She never asks too much, because she doesn't want to see him unhappy. The polite little worker bee in your interface output has no trouble meeting her expectations.

Edit -
Dude also kind of flubbed the thing about resonance. In simplest terms, resonance is what happens when the cutoff frequency from the inductor gets close to that of the capacitor. As they get closer together the "resonant hump" gets narrower and taller. It has to do with the way that the filters alter the relative phase angle at various frequencies, and involves imaginary numbers and vector math.

Last edited:
OK, I hope I'm not over-thinking this. But I recorded a sample of the noise that's coming out of my interface and going into my amp. This is with the amp cranked and ready to record. This "noise" comes in at -53db. I didn't alter the volume of it, as you can see if you check your meters.

Now, do I really need a box of any kind? -53db....the guitar signal drowns the hell out of this. At this volume, you can hear the guitar from across the street.

One thing for sure. I haven't checked the actual level in numbers, but the noise from the P-90's on my SG is WAY louder than this when I plug the guitar into my amp.

Dude, if that's the worst of your "noise", you're good to go. That aint shit. A single coil, like your P-90, introduces way more noise and hum than that.

Back