Keeping Snare Bleed out of Kick Mic

pad

dude you can also use a pad to lower the volume so the crap around you isnt as loud .a person who knows alot about micing drums will tell you to pad every drum mic to stop bleed that way it is also easyer to gate. trust me it works.
also a pad is good to use when you have real high SPLs
when I mic my kick some times I will pad it because the air blowing out makes
a crapy sound

big country said:
dude you can also use a pad to lower the volume so the crap around you isnt as loud .a person who knows alot about micing drums will tell you to pad every drum mic to stop bleed that way it is also easyer to gate. trust me it works.
also a pad is good to use when you have real high SPLs
when I mic my kick some times I will pad it because the air blowing out makes
a crapy sound
Are you talking about a foam pad, or a line pad? We are all talking about the pad button on the board.

If you know what you are talking about, why would you think that a pad cuts down on bleed? All it does is turn the volume down. It wouldn't cut down on bleed any more than turning the fader down. Think about it.

it fucking works! think think think.
its almost like a gate in a way but with the volume
IE. gateing the lower volumes
Ie. if the snare is two foot away from the kick its not going to be as loud as the kick therfore you would hear the snare less it makes the mick less sensitive.
think .

you must buy really shity mics and EQ them to sound great
hey why spend the money?

Farview If you know what you are talking about, why would you think that a pad cuts down on bleed? All it does is turn the volume down. It wouldn't cut down on bleed any more than turning the fader down. Think about it.

big country said:
it fucking works! think think think.
its almost like a gate in a way but with the volume
IE. gateing the lower volumes
Ie. if the snare is two foot away from the kick its not going to be as loud as the kick therfore you would hear the snare less it makes the mick less sensitive.
think .

Maybe you should think think think...The snare will be lower because you're turning down the volume (padding)....So, if you use 2% of your brain, you'll figure out that since you turned down the volume (padding), you also turned down the volume of the kik....So, if you now want the volume of the kik to be a decent level, you have to turn up the track, which also brings up the snare volume that's leaking in. You obviously have no idea what a gate does, either, because you make absolutely no sense. All a pad does is turn down the volume. Fairview is right. You are wrong. Nothing worse than someone who has no idea what they're talking about trying to sound like an expert...It's almost embarraassing.
Read up a little on recording, get educated, THEN you can come back here and apologise to Fairview for being such an idiot with him.

what the heck is big country talking about? i'm confused. a pad is a volume attenuator. it doesn't care about bleed?

A pad doesn't make the mic less sensistive. A pad is little resistors that attenuate the signal down by a set dB. This happens after the mic has already picked up it's signal. The only way to desensitize a microphone is to let it play violent and graphic video games for it's entire adolescence, oh yeah and tell it it's fat.

most kick mics I've ever used, NO IN FACT every kick mic I've used has no pad unless you do it from the desk & to be honest I can't see it being necessary unless the player's got a hydraulic foot

it certainly doesn't cut out bleed, whether it's padded or not I crank the gain so it measures where I want it on the meters, record the part & then proceed with my gates

I think big country needs to go & have a think think think about this because he's talkin' through a hole in his head

padding, turning down the fader results in the same thing IT'S QUIETER. The snare drum however is still there as much as it was before the padding of the mic

no no no no NO it wont work cause youre bass will be recorded quieter therefore you have to turn it up in the mix and ohhh there its is the snare bleed that has supposedly dissapeared

breeeeza said:
no no no no NO it wont work cause youre bass will be recorded quieter therefore you have to turn it up in the mix and ohhh there its is the snare bleed that has supposedly dissapeared

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

a fucker isn't it the ol' bleeding snare thang

use sticks not razor blades :D :D :D :D :D

then all those people who have been using pads for all those years should just turn down the volume on the fader pads a are worthless.

big country said:
then all those people who have been using pads for all those years should just turn down the volume on the fader pads a are worthless.

You are still missing the point. A pad is used when micing a high SPL source and you can't turn the preamp gain down far enough to prevent it from clipping. Get it???? They aren't worthless. You are

hey hey now, let's not get personal. Asshole :)

Hang dawg is right, albeit a bit crude.

If you put the pad before the preamp, you reduce the source to preamp. There are times when the microphone is picking up a level too hot for the preamp, you need to pad it. If pads were useless, you would not see pad switches on nearly every preamp and professional console.

Back