I wanna hear some live recordings

Not exactly live and quite old now (4 years ago). Just something we recorded for a demo. Guitars just going through amps and the vocals through one PA cab. All recorded through a single Oktava MK219.

Believe it or don't, the bass player is a guy named Greg Edick. He has toured with a lot of folks that you probably have records by. Chuck Berry to Rory Gallagher.

Nothing negative about his playing...I was just kidding about that look...and yeah, I guess he has been around awhile. :)
How did he end up with your guys...I mean, how do you hook up with him?

Not exactly live and quite old now (4 years ago). Just something we recorded for a demo. Guitars just going through amps and the vocals through one PA cab. All recorded through a single Oktava MK219.

One mic? Any post production, that's pretty good.

You guys showed some promise....have you stuck together and do you have anything current?

One mic? Any post production, that's pretty good.
Yeah, we just ran the mic straight into the camera. No processing.
You guys showed some promise....have you stuck together and do you have anything current?
Cheers. Yeah, we're still together. We haven't been playing around much the past couple of years as we've been at university but we've started playing more recently and we're finishing a new album. There are a couple of videos from a gig we played about a month ago but they're not on YouTube yet. I'll try and get them up. Someone else has got them.

Do you always play without a drummer with that lineup?
Was that like a performance gig....I mean, it doesn't look like a bar/club gig.
It's a once-a-year benefit for the church that hosts the coffeehouse there. We've got together for the last 3 years to do our part - we're just friends who do this once a year.
Here's one more from the last show.

Not bad at all, James.

Which one is you?

As soon as I get 10 posts and can link (and as soon as I get the samples uploaded), I'll see what I can throw in here from rehearsals from a polka band I play in.

All the following are from rehearsals with the Traditional/Polka Italian music band I play bass with. We rehearse in the bandleader's basement in a rectangular room maybe 10'x18', but with low (7') ceilings. The setup is usually with the drumset halfway along one of the longer walls, a stack of amps (for bass, keyboards, and sometimes guitar) right next to him, and the accordion/button-box players in opposite corners.

The first recording (from ~2 years ago) was done with a Blue Snowflake USB mic into Audacity. I used the mic kind of like a room/omni, though I think it's actually got a cardio pattern. It was positioned partway between the drumset and the amps, but pointed back into the room.

La Playa

I did very little post-processing on that one.

The other recodings were done over the past year, with more gear (more "real" mics) and with much, much more post-processing (with a "real" DAW).

SM57's/58's/clones or amp-out -> 8 channel mixer -> AI -> Studio One

Gualio
Luciarosa
Molisanis

I did a whole lot of post-processing on those. The mixer had only stero out (which is "ok" since my AI has only 2 channels in), so I had to fake a lot of things out in the DAW to separate out some of the sounds. For example, splitting a channel into several with multiple sends, as well as using EQ to emphasize the role of a certain instruments (lots of low-cut for the accordion parts that were shared on the same channel as the bass).

Nice. I liked "so many words" as well.

Good to be able to put a face to the name ... Which one is you?

I'm the drummer. Drums are my primary instrument. I also made a "live" album for our kickstarter backers. Just me putting mics up in our rehearsal studio and just us running through the songs, no editing or overdubs, but I don't have any of that uploaded, although the sound quality is much better and more like how we sound now.

Moresound: I'm on guitar and vocals.

(I tried quoting using my phone but failed miserably)

Last edited:
Back