How many mics would you use?

It always seems the more drums, the worse the drummer. Not always, just seems that way.

I had a drum kit turn up once where the 4, yes 4, flying toms were all the same diameter, and 2 floor toms the same size as well. The drummer said that he could not play the songs unless he had the whole kit. Guess what, 1 tom roll in each song all sounding like, da, da,da,da woom, woom, there mate all 6 toms were used :laughings:, oh yes and they all sounded the same tone. Don't you just love it.

Alan.

I had a drum kit turn up once where the 4, yes 4, flying toms were all the same diameter, and 2 floor toms the same size as well. The drummer said that he could not play the songs unless he had the whole kit. Guess what, 1 tom roll in each song all sounding like, da, da,da,da woom, woom, there mate all 6 toms were used :laughings:, oh yes and they all sounded the same tone. Don't you just love it.

Alan.
Keith Moon's kit had all the same size rack toms. He did just fine with it. He just tuned them differently.

Consider https://www.google.com/search?q=joh...=Pbf8UtaODLffsAS4mICQDw&sqi=2&ved=0CEsQ9QEwAQ
is one of your drummer's influences. Simple 5 piece. Consider all the great drummers that play on a similar kit (like Jen Ledger (Skillet), Shiela E (Prince)., Cody Linder (Say Anything)) lots of genres use the same kind of layout... A standard 5 pc with single tom and double floor tom, double kick pedal to one bass is easy to mic and great to play. It's pretty much what I use. Bonham is a lot of people's influence. Simple beats, rock steady beat...and all before click tracks in your ear!

I would like to know how many mics you would use to record this drum set. What would be the best placement of the mics as well. There are 7 symbols around the set. 6 Toms 2 on each bass drum and 2 floor toms.

drumset.jpg

Did you steal my drum kit??? :eek:

PearlDrums.jpg

:D

I think mine is the next version after yours, judging by the style of logo decal.
I have 8 toms...two floor 16, 18 and 8,10, 10 (deeper), 12, 13, 14....a bunch of cymbals, but I usually only put out 2-3 crash and one ride.

I usually mic the kit with a pair of OH in M/S stereo configuration, and just spot mics on Kick & Snare.
Never had any issue with the toms getting picked up or the hat, but if you want more control and definition with the toms, then spot mic them too.
Oh, mine is set up for my lefty drummer.

The only close one is Zac Starkey, playing with he Who now, Ringo's son. Keith Moon (uncle Keith as he was known) bought Zac his 1st drum kit when he was 8yo.

Alan.

Zac Starkey is great, but he's no Keith Moon by any stretch. He is way better than his retarded shit drummer dad though.

Zac Starkey is great, but he's no Keith Moon by any stretch. He is way better than his retarded shit drummer dad though.

Oh you must mean that shit drummer that played int he most successful band ever and made multiple millions of $ :laughings:

Oh you must mean that shit drummer that played int he most successful band ever and made multiple millions of $ :laughings:

Yeah, that's him. Anyone that thinks ringo is a great drummer because he played in a successful boy band and got rich is insane. Justin Bieber plays drums and makes millions too. Is he a great drummer also? He must be, right?

Great drummers are not necessarily rich drummers. I love Phil Rudd's playing, but he's no John Bonham or Neil Peart, or even Jen Ledger. Just solid, not great. But I bet he's earned some cash, and he plays for a very successful band. I prefer solid drummers, like Duncan Phillips or Jeffrey Gilbert, but the flashy, fun stuff is great when you're just relaxing. It's like listening to Santana over Yngwe, no matter how fast you can shred and how impressive it sounds, it gets old fast. Tasteful is more to my liking.

Great drummers are not necessarily rich drummers. I love Phil Rudd's playing, but he's no John Bonham or Neil Peart, or even Jen Ledger. Just solid, not great. But I bet he's earned some cash, and he plays for a very successful band. I prefer solid drummers, like Duncan Phillips or Jeffrey Gilbert, but the flashy, fun stuff is great when you're just relaxing. It's like listening to Santana over Yngwe, no matter how fast you can shred and how impressive it sounds, it gets old fast. Tasteful is more to my liking.

I agree with you. Phil Rudd is one of my favorites. That other guy implied that Ringo is great because he played in the world's most all time famous boy band and made millions. I'm saying that popularity and riches don't mean you're good. It means you're marketable. As a drummer myself, I actually like Ringo's style. It's the only thing about that stupid band that I do like. I'd never confuse him with a great drummer though.

Yes, exactly. To my understanding, Ringo only replaced Best because he had more "charisma": true enough, but Pete was a better drummer, technically. It could be argued that Ringo was a better drummer because he made them more money. I don't believe cash is what music is about.

Can't remember whether it was Paul or John said, when asked in an interview; "Is Ringo the best drummer in the world?" " He's not the best drummer in the Beatles!"

I'm sure he does. Just run it by him. If he's good he'll sound good with less and it will be way easier to record. One mic on one kick with a double pedal is easier to deal with than two mics on two kicks.
You're braver than I am. I wouldn't even think about approaching our drummer to tell him his kit was too big. I value my life!! I would be very careful going down this road. You wouldn't want your drummer telling you he didn't like the sound of LesPauls why don't you get a strat-o-castor. Musicians can be very particular about their gear, and adapting from a drum set up and placement that he's used to to something new isn't the easiest thing in the world to do (not impossible, but not automatic either). If lugging all those drums and hardware to gigs hasn't discouraged him from having such a huge set-up I don't think not having enough mikes to do the kit justice will either. I would say see what you can come up with for extra mikes to cover the kit, you'll avoid hard feelings and possibly ticking off a fellow bandmember.

Yes, exactly. To my understanding, Ringo only replaced Best because he had more "charisma": true enough, but Pete was a better drummer, technically. It could be argued that Ringo was a better drummer because he made them more money. I don't believe cash is what music is about.

I dont think so, I have heard a soundclip Lennon said Pete wasnt any good, pretty scathing really...his word was "a lousy drummer" they had trained him enough to play the red light district on the Hamburg trip and were always looking for a real drummer, he was never meant to be in full time. Ringo was with a bigger headline band and they wanted him... "Lennon said "we were always gonna dump him"..."he looked nice and the girls liked him was alright", this is a audio clip of Lennon saying it.

Recently read the Geoff Emerick book and he said Pete wasnt very good too, so thats two people at least. The EMI producer brought in a session drummer, drummer Alan White, the producer didnt care for Pete or Ringo on first listen.

You're braver than I am. I wouldn't even think about approaching our drummer to tell him his kit was too big. I value my life!! I would be very careful going down this road. You wouldn't want your drummer telling you he didn't like the sound of LesPauls why don't you get a strat-o-castor. Musicians can be very particular about their gear, and adapting from a drum set up and placement that he's used to to something new isn't the easiest thing in the world to do (not impossible, but not automatic either). If lugging all those drums and hardware to gigs hasn't discouraged him from having such a huge set-up I don't think not having enough mikes to do the kit justice will either. I would say see what you can come up with for extra mikes to cover the kit, you'll avoid hard feelings and possibly ticking off a fellow bandmember.

That's lame. You don't have to be crude about it. Suggesting using a smaller kit for a recording is not an indictment on his skill or gear. Your drummer is either an ego-maniacal douche who's not as good as he thinks he is or you're just not good at getting through to him. A good drummer can adapt and would understand if there are limitations in the recording process. If he wants to sound his best, I'd think he should be okay with using two less toms if that means you can mic everything properly. Whatever the case, there's a level of dysfunction in your band that is not healthy. You should be able to communicate ideas without making everyone butthurt. I know musicians are a fickle insecure bunch of miscreants, but if everyone is on the same page for a recording, then it shouldn't be an issue.

That's lame. You don't have to be crude about it. Suggesting using a smaller kit for a recording is not an indictment on his skill or gear. Your drummer is either an ego-maniacal douche who's not as good as he thinks he is or you're just not good at getting through to him. A good drummer can adapt and would understand if there are limitations in the recording process. If he wants to sound his best, I'd think he should be okay with using two less toms if that means you can mic everything properly. Whatever the case, there's a level of dysfunction in your band that is not healthy. You should be able to communicate ideas without making everyone butthurt. I know musicians are a fickle insecure bunch of miscreants, but if everyone is on the same page for a recording, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Yup, spot on. Nothing destroys a record faster than hurt egos.

Cheers :)

Back