Clipping While Recording

for the past 2 hours ive been trying to upload the video demo but the website keeps saying that the file is too big, or it just wont upload it at all, :mad: its one problem after another

should i jus say fuck it and buy a desktop computer so it can be used only for music production and recordings? because i use my laptop for other things...with being a college student and all

Hmm?
I can upload 2+M of MP3 but not 1.6M of .wav..Crazy!

Dave.

Attachments

• flower final on pod.mp3
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
for the past 2 hours ive been trying to upload the video demo but the website keeps saying that the file is too big, or it just wont upload it at all, :mad: its one problem after another
You could upload the video on youtube and throw a link in here :rolleyes:

i would also like to add; during the demonstration, all i did was press record while everything was hooked up (m-audio bx5 speakers and my mxl v87 consender mic connected to my interface)

Not sure if this applies, but when I hear someone say their vocals clip when recording to a backing track it's often because the backing track is too loud. If that's the case turn the backing track channel down so the average level is around -18dBFS on the main bus meter. Record your vocals to the same average level.

READ THIS AGAIN ^^^^^

It's the pre-recorded audio track...it's TOO LOUD.

Forget all this buffer nonsense and not enough RAM nonsense. I've been running a full-tilt DAW with only 4GB RAM for awhile now and it works fine. RAM has nothing to do with playback, that's a function of the HD...unless you dump a pile of plugs on the playback track (which then runs in RAM).

and in cubase it has the same problem, but on cubase, the noise is apparent when i press play after i record....with or without an instrumental track

I turned both the track and the vocal recording down to -18db, that didnt work either

I wasn't sure if that was the problem, but it was worth mentioning. Just to be clear, you want the level on the track's meter to read an average of about -18dBFS. Turning a fader down to -18dB is not the same thing.

The same way you already did. What boulder is saying is to watch the input over time and see if it's averaging about -18db... if not, then turn it down a bit. It's just a general guideline...

Post your cubase, no music sample and let people have a listen..

ok how do i change it?

The backing track is already recorded, so either use clip gain or the fader to lower it until it averages about -18dB on the main meter (with no other tracks active).

Then use your interface to set the record level of your vocal to also average around -18dBFS. Hopefully there's a meter on the track that shows your record level.

This is important to do even if it doesn't solve your current problem.

Back