Recording keyboard only: do I really need a DAW.......(has anyone done this?)

joey2000

Looking to buy a keyboard which has a built-in sequencer (which can overdub). No external instruments. I get that I can improve in various ways with a DAW but frankly I don't want to mess with it. Just learning my way around the keyboard will be enough and it's not like I'm a "pro" looking to making a living out of this, it's just for my own interest. It is reasonable to think I can get respectable-sounding recordings with just the keyboard? Has anyone done this, what did you use, how did it go, etc.

IF all you want to do is record the keyboard with itself, and don't want to do anything other than that, you're covered. If you want to mix with other instruments or vocals, use other effects, upload the music to the web or burn a CD, then you're going to need a way to get the sound into a computer (some keyboards may offer USB transfer of files).

It really depends on the keyboard's recording features.

Some keyboards have sequencers/recorders that are adequate for quickly recording your musical ideas on the fly, but they aren't very sophisticated when it comes to editing and mixing multiple tracks to produce a finished result, so if you're using one of those keyboards then you're better off connecting it to a computer and using a DAW.

Other keyboards have extremely sophisticated sequencers/recorders that let you edit the tracks note by note, add effects and control changes, or even record to an audio file rather than to a MIDI file, and mix the keyboard's audio with audio coming into the keyboard from other sources.

So, yeah, if you've got the money to spend on a really nice arranger workstation that has advanced recording features, that might be all you need.

But for that same amount of money you could buy a much less expensive keyboard, or even just a MIDI keyboard controller, plus a nice DAW, plus an assortment of VST plugins or soft synths, plus an audio interface, etc.

In short, it boils down to what your preferences are, how much money you can afford to spend, and how sophisticated of a sequencer/recorder you can get on an arranger workstation for that amount of money.

Thanks for the replies. I won't buy a "controller" because they are just mini, chopped up keyboards and I want to be able to really play on a real keyboard......they don't qualify.

The pisser about this is I probably won't know for sure what will work best for me until I buy stuff and try it. :) I won't know how much I care about editing/mixing/mastering, how much tolerance I have for learning and messing with a DAW (again I suspect precious little tho) etc. ugh. I wish I could rent one.

Thanks for the replies. I won't buy a "controller" because they are just mini, chopped up keyboards and I want to be able to really play on a real keyboard......they don't qualify.

The pisser about this is I probably won't know for sure what will work best for me until I buy stuff and try it. :) I won't know how much I care about editing/mixing/mastering, how much tolerance I have for learning and messing with a DAW (again I suspect precious little tho) etc. ugh. I wish I could rent one.

This comes down to budget and what you actually want to do. Then, think it all through? How are you going to LISTEN to the keyboard? You could use headphones but they are not really very satisfactory and limit your movement.

You can of course get "Portasound" keyboards with low powered built in amplifiers and speakers but hardly a "Majestic organ sound"! Won't even really do justice to a decent piano program.

But the "DAW" is a side issue. What you need is an AUDIO INTERFACE. The Steinberg UR22 solves the DAW problem neatly because it comes with Cubase LE. It also has MIDI ports and any kbd worthy of the name will have the same, opening up vast musical possibilities.

The interface can also drive some decent monitors*. Sorry! There is no way to get such a system on the cheap! You CAN however download a trial of Cubase and try that out on the PC.

*Or indeed any amplifier/speaker system you might have to hand.

Dave.

? Thanks but I think you misunderstood. The DAW isn't a side issue, in fact it's THE issue. As I said, I don't want to mess with one if I can help it. And no, if I'm just using a keyboard, I likely don't need an audio interface, but again that's not the issue at hand...

Oh on budget, it's really not set in stone; short answer is I'm not looking top-end, but can at least afford a keyboard with some kind of legit sequencer. Offhand I'm looking at the Korg Kross and Roland FA-06, if that helps give you a feel for where I'm at......and while all factors come into play (key action, sounds etc), the sequencer's abilities and ease of use are probably at the top of the list.

? Thanks but I think you misunderstood. The DAW isn't a side issue, in fact it's THE issue. As I said, I don't want to mess with one if I can help it. And no, if I'm just using a keyboard, I likely don't need an audio interface, but again that's not the issue at hand...

Oh on budget, it's really not set in stone; short answer is I'm not looking top-end, but can at least afford a keyboard with some kind of legit sequencer. Offhand I'm looking at the Korg Kross and Roland FA-06, if that helps give you a feel for where I'm at......and while all factors come into play (key action, sounds etc), the sequencer's abilities and ease of use are probably at the top of the list.

Sorry! Trying to understand. The manual for the FA-06 shows it to BE an interface anyway and goes on to mention "DAWs", specifically Logic, Sonar and Cubase but you can bet your sweet bippy that Reaper will work just fine as well.

I still don't know how you are going to monitor the keyboard's sounds and if you compose on the keys alone, what do you do with the composition?

I don't wish to be rude or contrary but I think you are rather like those folks grimly hanging on to their mulitrackers when they know in their hearts that a PC and a DAW really is the way to go!

Dave.

.. The pisser about this is I probably won't know for sure what will work best for me until I buy stuff and try it. :) I won't know how much I care about editing/mixing/mastering, how much tolerance I have for learning and messing with a DAW (again I suspect precious little tho) etc. ugh. I wish I could rent one.
This is where you're at, It's sort of true on any new venture. Arm yourself as best you can (You're doing that) you won't even know necessarily which questions' etc sometimes, you step in get your feet wet, sleeper wave comes..
Smack Ooh! :eek:
Etc.. ;)

If you need to edit accurately and do clever stuff, a DAW is better, but if you are happy to record like tape, and do it again if you mess up - go with it. It's up to you and how comfy you are. My keyboard apparently has a good sequencer. I don't know - never even tried it!

Sorry! Trying to understand. The manual for the FA-06 shows it to BE an interface anyway
Well yeah, to be fair, you can consider a keyboard's built-in sequencer a "DAW," but when I hear that term, I think of a separate piece of software run from your PC. Again, that's basically what I'm driving at....hoping that basic capabilities that come with the keyboard are enough. I'm not interested in massive editing or getting cute with synth sounds or effects etc. Lay down some tracks and combine them. Voila. Sure a little tweaking is probably desirable, but basically I want the performance to speak for itself. Key word: performance....ie what I play, not a "virtual performance" I make by inserting or moving notes around later. :)

I still don't know how you are going to monitor the keyboard's sounds
I'm not.

I don't wish to be rude or contrary but I think you are rather like those folks grimly hanging on to their mulitrackers when they know in their hearts that a PC and a DAW really is the way to go!
lol. I don't disagree that it is. I just don't want to mess with it. I'm old and impatient. :) It will be enough to shake off the rust from playing as well as learning the keyboard.

---------- Update ----------

This is where you're at, It's sort of true on any new venture. Arm yourself as best you can (You're doing that) you won't even know necessarily which questions' etc sometimes, you step in get your feet wet, sleeper wave comes..
Smack Ooh! :eek:
Etc.. ;)
lol - yeah I figure some of that is inevitable.

No Joe, I said the FA-60 is an INTERFACE and as such Roland recognise that to get the best from it you need to use it with a DAW.

Still don't know how you will listen to the thing!

Dave.

I'll hang onto my multitracker (2488NEO) until they pry it from my cold dead hands. :D

By no means "grimly" hanging on.

While I do have an interface and Reaper, the multitracker is an easier workflow for most of what I do. Seldom need to edit my "perfect" takes. :)

Yes, well Mark you WERE one of the last of the Luddites I believe when we had this discussion a week or two ago!

Heh! I dare say if I had a Mtracker (and a smidgen of talent!) I would use one as well for certain things. I know my "kitless" son in France would LOVE one!

Dave.

No Joe, I said the FA-60 is an INTERFACE and as such Roland recognise that to get the best from it you need to use it with a DAW.
Yes. I get that. Once more: I'm not interested in a DAW and thinking/hoping using the keyboard's built-in sequencer is sufficient, esp given what I will be doing won't be esp complex or fancy....just wondering if anyone else has and how it worked out, what they experienced, pros, cons, etc etc. Apparently nobody has. :(

Still don't know how you will listen to the thing!
When you said "monitoring" I took that differently. As to listening in general, um with my ears? :)

I'll hang onto my multitracker (2488NEO) until they pry it from my cold dead hands. :D

By no means "grimly" hanging on.

While I do have an interface and Reaper, the multitracker is an easier workflow for most of what I do. Seldom need to edit my "perfect" takes. :)
Someone gets it, thank you. That's what I'm aiming for, the simplest workflow possible....

When you said "monitoring" I took that differently. As to listening in general, um with my ears? :)

Neither the Roland or Korg keyboards have speakers, but you could, at least, listen to them by plugging in headphones. Otherwise you are going to need something to listen to the tracks you are recording/have recorded.

Obviously.

What's not obvious is how you are going to monitor what you record. As others have been explaining , an audio interface will allow you to record the music to a computer for mixing, give a place to plug in monitors/speakers/headphones, etc.

:facepalm:

OK. My bad I guess for mentioning the Roland and Korg. This is not a thread about AIs but DAWs. Let's assume I get a keyboard with built-in speakers. :)

I guess nobody here has done what I was wondering about but thx anyway -

Back