Newb here- Easy home recording solutions WITHOUT a computer.

Thanks for all the help and opinions. I gaining some knowledge and figuring out what would be my best option. Keep them coming! All opinions are appreciated. Thanks! I almost bought an old cassette deck the other day, figured I could plug in a mic, set it in the corner and hit record and jam.

I wouldn't put more than about $10 on such a rig. Entry level is much higher quality now. But you might hit the yard sale circuit and see what turns up. You never really know.

Great thread. I'm wrestling with a similar problem, except that I DO have a computer, but I really don't like the vagueness of the descriptions of how it is used in the recording/mixdown process.

Like the OP, I'm looking for simplicity. I've found, however, that the simplicity creates some pretty complicated problems themselves. Two channels in plus external mikes would create more problems in terms of controlling the sound.

I have working studio experience. I understand analog. I understand mixing channels. I've owned 2 and 4 channel flanged tape machines, and I own a Portastudio 414 mkII.

I have a jazz quartet (piano, acoustic bass, saxophone, drums and occasional singer). As much as I dislike the idea of adding yet another component to the recording process, I think it's a necessary evil (sorry) at this point. I've settled upon the zoom R-16 tethered to a laptop with a good program. Does this sound like a sensible approach? I think that this would be (in the long run) a sensible approach for me as well as the OP. In time, he'll want to improve the quality of his recording and want a LOT more versatility.

What I don't understand is why most of these incredibly competent and complex digital machines don't have individual VU meters on the interface. Is it the manufacturers' attempt to keep costs down? I can see why these interfaces are designed to work with a computer; so much of the sophisticated electronics already exists on the computer. All that's needed is an appropriate program.

I apologize if I have hijacked the thread, but I think it relates to the OP's dilemma.

I'm a late comer to this thread, so my input might be duplicating someone else's (I've only read 3 of the 5 pages). But I'm curious if anyone has suggested any stand alone DAWs other than the DR-40. Leon (last post before mine) was asking about the Zoom R-16, and to me that seems like a way better option for the OP, if I understood your needs correctly. That unit has enough inputs to easily accomplish your stated goals for recording. In addition, you would have the ability to easily upload tracks or songs to computer, should you decide you want to. In fact, you can use the R-16 as a control surface for any future computer based recording you do (though I believe if you were going to go computer-based only, there are easier, better options).

I am not computer based myself. I really enjoy the process of recording in an analog "style" (turning knobs), while having the relatively high sound quality and lack of analog maintenance (aligning, cleaning, degaussing, etc...).

There are lots of other such machines available. You should be able to pick up SOMETHING usable for a couple of hundred dollars or less.

What I don't understand is why most of these incredibly competent and complex digital machines don't have individual VU meters on the interface. Is it the manufacturers' attempt to keep costs down?

Cost is always a factor, but while VU meters do well when recording to analog tape there's different metering for digital. Digital 24 bit audio has something like 144dB dynamic range, and it doesn't change character with changes in level. As long as you keep your peaks well away from 0dBFS (digital full scale, clipping point). With that in mind most analog to digital converters make a 0dBVU signal around -18dBFS. You still have 126dB below that so you can stay well away from clipping and never have to worry about the noise floor.

All you really need to know from the meter is "am I getting signal?" and "do I have enough headroom?", which the Zoom meters seem to indicate. You could plug the unit into a computer as an interface and experiment, comparing the low resolution onboard meters to the higher resolution metering in a DAW, just so when using the Zoom on its own you have a better idea what its meters mean.

zoom 16 and zoom 24 are good affordable recorders. both come with 48 v phantom preamps and simply buy an sd card plugin on play/record.

Have you looked at the possibility of used equipment? My first recorder I picked up from a local used add. It is a Tascam 788 with a CD burner two years ago. I paid $100 for the rig, it records 6 tracks at the same time onto an internal drive. My second is A Tascam US-1800 interface that I use with my computer and Reaper software. This interface was also purchased used from Guitar Center on their used gear website.

This is a fantastic thread for the digital new guy. blckjck, I've considered buying used. The Tascam 788 sounds like the simple rig I'm looking for.

Thanks, everyone.

Back