New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

hey guys.. just bought 3 rode mics to use in my productions and found this forum with a Google search for "microphone forum" :)

I am not a musician, but as a video guy I am very much aware of the importance of "good audio" when shooting videos.. even the best videos will be useless without "good sound"..

oh btw, the mics I got are:

- Rode NT-USB
- Rode VideoMic PRo
and
- Rode Stereo VideoMic

Hi All, havent been on here for sometime so I feel as if Im a newbie my name is Frank singer\songwriter have my own home recording studio and hope to maybe help with some questions and also be helped with some of my questions

Thanks a lot, I,m gonna try to sell the Alesis. I,ll never buy again a FireWire interface, it was my first one. I got already a M-AUDIO interface, M-AUDIO active speakers, MIDISPORT ONE from M-AUDIO too, Keys : Roland Juno D and Kurzweil SP4-7 but I would like to get in the future some interface with more IN channels. Any way I wonder, is there anybody using FW ? Thanks Dave from the botton of my heart !

Dude, all your apostrophes fell down! :eek:
Welcome to the board!

Hi All, havent been on here for sometime so I feel as if Im a newbie my name is Frank singer\songwriter have my own home recording studio and hope to maybe help with some questions and also be helped with some of my questions

I'd say, "Welcome Back", but you're name's Frank and not Carter...so um, well, glad to see you return, sir. :)

Hello, hello, hello! I've lurked on this forum for awhile now, but I've decided it's time to actually register and get involved! Great community!

Brief about me: Handsome. Human. Law student. Singer(sorta)/Songwriter.

Total noob at recording, but am enjoying the ride so far!

Hello
I am basically a live - performance acoustic singer-songwriter and play fingerstyle. My gear is all oriented to high quality live sound reproduction. I use mostly a Taylor 414 ce, which I play through several pedals, Fishman pre-amp and into roland acoustic amp. I like to use an altec-lansing sound hole mic to warm up the on board electronics (two guitar channels). The amp has separate channels for instrument and vocals. I use SM58s for vocals but have other mics. I also have a four channel EV mixer which allows mix from stage position if I'm a long way from the amp.
I have written some interesting fingerstyle instrumentals as well as songs with vocals. Rather than going to someone else's studio it would be great to get these down on good quality home recordings. But I don't want to invest substantial time to learn the details. It would be great just to take my live sound to a clean recording.

Hello
I am basically a live - performance acoustic singer-songwriter and play fingerstyle. My gear is all oriented to high quality live sound reproduction. I use mostly a Taylor 414 ce, which I play through several pedals, Fishman pre-amp and into roland acoustic amp. I like to use an altec-lansing sound hole mic to warm up the on board electronics (two guitar channels). The amp has separate channels for instrument and vocals. I use SM58s for vocals but have other mics. I also have a four channel EV mixer which allows mix from stage position if I'm a long way from the amp.
I have written some interesting fingerstyle instrumentals as well as songs with vocals. Rather than going to someone else's studio it would be great to get these down on good quality home recordings. But I don't want to invest substantial time to learn the details. It would be great just to take my live sound to a clean recording.

Since you seem to be getting a good mix and PA repro', I would suggest an Audio Interface with dedicated line inputs rather than one of the basic (but good quality) 2 in 2 out types. This is because those AIs have "kludged" line inputs and often these have poor headroom if driven from a mixer.

You also need something that you plug in, run the drivers and then get on with the recording. There is no more stable AI, IMHO with all these qualities than the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6.
This has the required TRS balanced line in puts but also two excellent mic pre amps. Thus you could record the mixer "mix" but also experiment with other mic placements, maybe some "room effect".

NB The mic tracks would be entirely separate from the TRS mix so you could experiment to your hearts. The AI comes with Cubase "lite" but I would suggest you download Reaper. Since all you need to do is set 4 tracks to record, an evening's work should have that sorted!

Dave.

Hello, I'm ctm2aud. That means I used to be a CTM (cryptologic tech, maintenance) in the Navy and now I'm an audiologist. Just getting into home and church recording. I have a question about circuit noise, but I'll try to find the right place to post it..

I'm Mike Knight, I am interested in digital music using software such as FL Studio and Magix. I'm trying to get an authentic sound from digital instruments.

I'm also interested in high quality voice recording, for voiceovers and animation.

Hello All,

I am Daniel, a 30 something year old guy who plays music as a source of income. I have always dabbled in home recording to some degree, but have really been getting in deeper with it lately. I certainly have lots to learn and enjoy the journey.

Howdy. I'm a saxophonist. I played professionally 25 years or so ago.Did recording work,played live, traveled, then life got in the way. Now that I have the time, I have a desire to return to performing. Within the year, I intend to start a four-piece acoustic jazz ensemble.

I think that recording rehearsals and private practice is essential. Having been away from music for so long, I'm finding the change to digital somewhat baffling. I've worked with various 2-channel tape recorders, and I've worked with the Portastudio 414 mk II (an analog cassette recorder).

I'd like some opinions regarding a good, basic, 4 channel simultaneous digital recorder. (i.e., 4 channels in).

I'd like to be able to use backing tracks for personal practice.

I'd like to be able to use XLR cable mics, so on-board phantom power is a must.

I'd also like to have onboard reverb.

I would like an AC power source.

I'd also like for it to be easy to use and not too dependent upon outboard software to make it work.

I'm looking for something in the neighborhood of $4-500.00 not including microphones.

These are the basics.

Any suggestions?

If this should be posted elsewhere, let me know.

Thanks

Hcr

My name is Harold I'm new to recording with the Roland VS880EX I have 2 of these machines but before I could learn how to use the first one it started shutting off by it's self while recording. After about a year I bought another one last week and haven't even turned it on yet.

Hi I'm Aidan living in Warrington North West England. I am interested in getting some advice on my olc 4 track cassette recorders issues ( belt drives ) and as a collector of fine bits of junk I will need help on such esoteric areas as why after replacing all drive belts my lovely B&O cassette player wont play ; tension / torque / its a mystery . Still want to fix these even to sell. Have the Traction programme on a Macbook for digital recording have recently upgraded but still nervous as i lost ( yes within the programme ) quite a few unfinished tracks , my laptop is fine . NO joy from Mackie though . Hoping it will pan out with their new version 5 . Good luck in the sound world there is so much talent and so few who hear them .

Hi. I'm Steph. I'm a 46 year old male nurse. Used to be in a band, used to be broke, ha ha. I'm an absolute retard at home recording; just got me a Behringer C-1 mic and an Alpha Lexicon audio interface. Did some quickie tests with the free version of Studio One, though the Lexicon comes bundled with Cubase LE-5. I'm already ripping out what's left of my hair trying to get up and running. Never knew how much I missed this... I'll be posting my dumb-ass questions on a regular basis and thank all of you ahead of time for your patience.

May you rock long and hard.

Hi Steph and welcome.
Pretty sure that AI does not have phantom power and the C1 definitely needs it!
The best solution is another AI with 48V spook juice, Steinberg UR22 is my general reccy at the £100 mark. A good alternative would be a $50 mixer, almost all have Ppower but check first! That would feed the line inputs of the Alpha.

Also. not familiar with Studio One but done a bit with various Cubases. Not the slickest DAW to get started with but very good if you can get it working.

Dave.

Back