New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hello JJ and welcome.
You need to consider how you want to proceed so that you get the correct advice for your particular case.

First thing, can you play an instrument and if so what? You say "expressed though computer processed music" and that would tend to mean a keyboard of some sort.

The computer is in many ways the least of your worries. Anything that can run Win 7 or later will surely have the power to run a couple of dozen tracks and a few effects.

You will almost certainly need an Audio Interface. This takes the analogue signals from microphones, guitars, keyboard if it has analogue outputs, converts those signals to digital data and sends that, almost always by USB, to the computer. Then, MOST importantly it converts the computer output back to analogue for you to hear. You might know that all computers can do this? So they can but badly, very badly as a rule.

With the AI will come recording software, usually called a "DAW". This could be Cubase or Ableton or any of several others. All have their strengths and weaknesses and some do certain things better than others. All the major DAWs can be downloaded and tried for a limited period. Many, many people rate Reaper and it certainly is very good and very cheap.

What is your budget?

Dave.

Dear Dave,

I have pm'ed you. Although, I am unsure whether it went through or not....hmmm...

Have a great weekend!

JJ

Greetings.

I'm SD Rob, been a multi-instrument musician for mega years (jack of many, master of none).

I decided recently to venture into the recording realm in hopes of someday being able to leave something behind for my grand-kids to listen back on (and hopefully not laugh toooo much).....

Intro - First Post

59 year old newbie. Wrote big ol biography as a reply to this thread, then messed up somewhere and lost it all. Here is abbreviated version:

Starting over...Got a us 1800, Cubase LE5, bunch of gear and instruments, a splattering of talent, and a hankerin' to learn.

Lurking and learning here for around a year, hope to become very active on the forum soon. Looking forward to it!

Hi, sonderangebot is my name and I,m very happy I,ve found this forum. For now I got more questions than answers but sooner or later I,ll be able to help others...you never knows ! I got an Alesis IO 26 FireWire interface with 8 analog and 18 digital inputs. Soft : protools 9.0.5 and would like to know what laptop with firewire is good enough and not so expensive. Any advise ?

Hi, sonderangebot is my name and I,m very happy I,ve found this forum. For now I got more questions than answers but sooner or later I,ll be able to help others...you never knows ! I got an Alesis IO 26 FireWire interface with 8 analog and 18 digital inputs. Soft : protools 9.0.5 and would like to know what laptop with firewire is good enough and not so expensive. Any advise ?

Quick answer? There is none. You could go for a mac (even here, be careful to get one WITH FW!) but your first port of call is to Alesis to ask them which brand of Fussywire chipset the AI is happy with. Most FW interfaces only worked well, or at all, with the Texas Instruments chipset but the I026 might be different.

Non-mac laptops with Firewire are now like rocking horse droppings.

Dave.

Ronbert here.
50-something, electrical engineer, hobby/couch guitarist. Been playing steadily (after work when I have time) for 14 years now.

Making some YouTube videos and working up to making a CD for my mother.

Simple gear - DR-40 recorder, a mixer, some adequate reasonably priced mics.

No computer- I sit in front of one 9 hrs a day for work and don't want to do more but may have to try the DAW world sometime when the overdubbing in the DR-40 becomes limiting.

Currently re-reading Harvey Gerst's epic historical postings about mics.

Other - hiking, backpacking, jeeping, motorcycling, shooting, fixing my own cars, flying, fly fishing and enslaved by 3 Amazon parrots.

Thanks a lot, I,m gonna try to sell the Alesis. I,ll never buy again a FireWire interface, it was my first one. I got already a M-AUDIO interface, M-AUDIO active speakers, MIDISPORT ONE from M-AUDIO too, Keys : Roland Juno D and Kurzweil SP4-7 but I would like to get in the future some interface with more IN channels. Any way I wonder, is there anybody using FW ? Thanks Dave from the botton of my heart !

Thanks a lot, I,m gonna try to sell the Alesis. I,ll never buy again a FireWire interface, it was my first one. I got already a M-AUDIO interface, M-AUDIO active speakers, MIDISPORT ONE from M-AUDIO too, Keys : Roland Juno D and Kurzweil SP4-7 but I would like to get in the future some interface with more IN channels. Any way I wonder, is there anybody using FW ? Thanks Dave from the botton of my heart !

Alesis I/O26

I remember reading that review in 07 and thinking "I want one!" It would have been perfect for our embryonic "studio". More than enough inputs with ADAT expansion, inserts and a very handy phono input. There were just two problems..
1) My computer did not have Firewire. (I was so green in 2007 that I did not know of PCI FW cards!)
2) NO WAY could I afford it!

Even now, if you were in UK I would make you an offer! I would pull one of the 2496 cards from a PC and fit a Fussywire TI chipped PCI jobbie. My son has a Dell laptop in France that has a Cardbus slot so there is every chance I could get that to work. (have you looked into a decent S/H Lenovo or Toshiba with a slot?).

I could find no Win 8.1 drivers on the Alesis site, stops at W7 but 64 bits so that would not bother me or I suspect many others?

All the best luck chap.

Dave.

Hello Sonderangebot,

I am going to go out on a limb here and ask you what Germanic heritage you are from?

Thanks again Dave, really you know what are you talking about, I bought a PCI FW card in 07 and installed it but it was a desktop (I dont use desktops any more) but I got enough with FW, never more, any way you got a good solution, thanks for caring and take care bro.

Hello guys. my name is Tomislav and I am a student and guitar player. Been playing electric for 6 years now, and want to get my interest on a higher level. I find this forum awesome and am glad to be a part of your community!
I am from Croatia btw.

Hey guys, my name is Rene, i just bought myself a soundcard called Tascam US 16x08.
I'm already recording one of my friends metal bands and my own psychedelic band. I need to learn mixing and mastering :)

Back