New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hi james and all,

I used to home record with hardware and predominantly analogue gear, now after a very long hiatus (25 yrs) I am learning to do everything digitally on a laptop.

I'd rather not be because I prefer hands on to clicks on, but I travel around a lot and this suits for the moment.

I went to sleep with analogue and awoke into a very different digital world.

During those years my listening was predominantly AM/MW rather than FM which I've never liked.

We used to be able to pick up Dutch stations like Arrow Classic Rock loud and clear on the UK east coast on the Medium wave band.

" During those years my listening was predominantly AM/MW rather than FM which I've never liked."

I was in domestic electronics from leaving school in 1961 and it was THE hardest thing to sell Joe Public FM radio! Records went up to~18kHz of course but their Danssettes just wiped it out of the grooves and NOTHING had tweeters in it!

It was really only the coming of UHF TV which forced FM and a 15kHz bandwidth on the punters that they began to realize what real instruments sounded like!

Dave.

Hi everyone! Just wanted to drop in here for a quick intro. I'm not new to music production but have just started working again in my newly rebuilt home studio and wanted to rub elbows with some likeminded people. Hope to learn a lot from others here and perhaps share some things as well.

Hi . I'm a newb and I've just (yesterday) bought myself a Tascam porta one from eBay for £8, not expecting it to work but after a little fiddling, it did. Happy days!
I used to use one of these back in the day (when I was in a band...) and even found one of my old 4-track experimental tapes form way back when to play with :-)
Looking forward to gleaning information from the learned ones here so my recordings don't sound like total sh@te.
I also have a M-Audio 2496 in my PC, cos I read they were ok and got foofed off with using it - too clean - hence the desire for the dirty 4-track. Analogue forever!
Well, I am in my 50s
Look forward to meeting you,
ac30kev.

Wow, the Porta One, that takes me back! I'm brand new here too; had a PortaOne many years ago and did a lot of great work with it! Hope you enjoy :)

Hello all. Just joined the forum.

I'm from Manchester, England.

Recently discovered a passion for creating my own tunes on the PC.
A novice, I'm trying to get my head around using a DAW and associated software.

Purely soft synths at the moment but have my eye on a Novation Supernova.

Cheers,

Wyatt

Hey everyone! Thrilled to be here I've been a reader of HomeRecording for a while now and figured I'd join the party.

I've been involved in music most of my life playing guitar and piano but in the last year have discovered the magic of Ableton Live and the DAW world in general. Its taken some time but I'm slowly learning bits and pieces and feeling my way through the world of MIDI producing.

I tend to be a guy who thinks they can learn this stuff of their own but I decided to change all that and join a community of like-minded and talented producers. I've got no doubt this will fast track the learning process!

Nasher

Hi! I'm Yves,

I play guitar bass violin änd some keyboard type instruments.
Im recording music in my bedroom and trying to get better at recording and mixing.
I'm hoping to learn alot here.

Alright, alright! Hank here. Completely new to all things production/recording. I have played drums for half my life and have always loved music.
Right now I am looking to do more for myself as far as composition, production and recording are concerned. Currently I am looking to put together a small set up so that I can record jam sessions. That's it. I want to be able to play something now and listen to it later in good quality.
I am open to any and all advice, looking forward to meeting yall.

Hi Hank,
Drums need multiple mics, four is probably the accepted minimum? Dunno, never had the opportunity. Then there is the rest of the "jammers".

The top recc' for a multi-input Audio Interface here is the Tascam US 1800. It will take even more audio inputs (14 total?) as line ins and so (bit controversial this!) you might like to think about a small mixer? You will also probably find good use for a headphone distribution amplifier. The Behringer units are said to be very good and good value.

For headphones, since you will need a few, Sennheiser HD 202s are ~$20 and easily good enough for you all to "keep in touch".

Mulitiple recording setups EAT cable! Mic and headphone lines. Learn to solder and make/fix your own.

Getting a good recorded drum sound is quite a challenge (I am told!) and you will need to spend lots of time experimenting with mic positions and sound absorbing materials.

Computer: Don't know what you have but almost anything under 5 years old that can run Win 7 should do. Note (and you will read this word ad.n!) "Latency" is not a problem for "tracking" so you don't need a super fast system to get songs "in the can".

Dave.

G'day everyone,

Ive been a keen reader of these forums for at least 12 months and thought it was time I joined.
Im a solo musician from Melbourne, Australia and I'm in the process of building my own studio in my shed/mancave, I will have some pictures to post soon.

I will defiantly have a lot of questions in future and cant wait to pick your brains!

See you around :)

Hi I'm David and I think this is the right place to post. I've been registered on the forum for quite a while but I have only just logged in for the first time in ages. I would still consider myself a novice in the realm of recording, production, mixing etc. The reason I'm posting is for some advice; I have just got Cubase on my laptop and I have a sincere passion to start creating music again; for my band and any other projects. My gear currently consists of an Ibanez SA 6 string, an Ashton Electro Acoustic, Cubase, my laptop, a Line 6 UX2 Pod a Line 6 70 Watt Spider combo amp and some dynamic mics.

I am trying to find some good drummer and guitar tone software online which are compatible with the above. Can anyone help me?

Cheers

SSD4 for drums hands down. Not sure about the guitar sims. Depends on genre. Actually, so does the drum software, but the Steven Slate stuff sounds the most 'real' to me.

Joining as I've been looking around at new forums for a while. I've been a regular at KVR for years, and thought I'd broaden my horizons...

Hello Guys,

First I would like to introduce myself. I am Jonathan Bouwens a 20 years old producer from The Netherlands. I produce Bigroom House and sometimes Deephouse or Trap. Last summer I got signed by Housepital Records (dutch dance label) and my first release will be in the beginning of 2015. I you guys want to hear some tracks of me check out my soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/jonathanbouwens

Tnx!

Sounds like 'spamish' or self promotion.

Be careful where you place your next beat dood...

Hello, my name is Waylon Whitson, and I am a guitarist, and I play all kinds of different stuff, all pretty firmly within the rock genre, ranging from psychedelic blues to groove/progressive rock and metal.

I've recently decided to get into composing and recording, and being as I have little or no experience, and there seem to be quite a few talented and knowledgeable people here, I figured I'd join and seek some guidance in releasing my creativity and capturing it, too.

I am excited to get to know you guys, if you'd like, and discuss recording, music, and gear in general with you. And of course to hear what you guys have created, and maybe garnish some samplings of my own brain juice.

So, yeah... What's up?

Hi Waylon,
and welcome to the forum.
It has probably been said somewhere in these near 200 post but....
Could newcomers post a very short equipment list?
AI if you have one or how you presently/intend to get signals in/ out of the computer.

Computer: Brief details, e.g. PC/mac/laptop/desktop. CPU power and ram installed. Operating System.

If you come asking advice on buying gear please always give at least a ball park budget.

Dave.

Back