Need something to look for during Black Friday

EveTan

I'm fairly new to all of this. Been browsing the forums for about 1-2 hours now. Kinda lost at what I should be looking at. I just plan on recording vocals and letting a friend mix em for me. I was looking at the
Rode NT1A pack because it consisted of many of the "necessary" accessories. Then again, it is a condenser mic and and I need a "phantom power" source which I have no clue is about. I also stumbled upon the Shure 57/58 mics that are apparently "legendary"? So all in all, I basically want to buy some equipment on Black Friday but do not know where to start. I'm looking at an under 400 dollar price range. Sorry, if I had the time to read and explore more on the forums I would. But kinda getting rushed because I don't want to lose out on deals. Thanks!

Well I need a little more info. What kind of vocals? and what are you planning to record them into?

in both ways you need to get an audio interface. If you will buy Rode (or any other condenser mic) make sure the interface has phantom power (marked also as +48V) to power the microphone. Decent choice for starters would be for example M-Audio Fast track mk2.

And don't worry. 400 will cover you.
Most of the internet retailers I shop at dont really have black friday specials on items like that.
Just on strings and cables and such.

Yeah, like Seidy said, you'll definitely want to look into getting an interface. An interface is a device which serves as the connection between your computer and your mics. Phantom power is required by condensor mics to function. You can get this from pre amps, or an interface with a pre amp built into it. Since you only need to do vocals, you'll want to get something (interface) with one or two XLR inputs. Better to get two, you never know when you'll want to become a 'singer song writer acoustic ballad guy' in the future.
If you have $400, go for the Rode, and an interface. However, this is all based on the big assumption that you have a computer fit for recording. Also, like kidage said,black friday might not cover something like a Rode mic.

Thx for the quick replies! What do you mean by a computer fit for recording? I guess I might go for the Rode as it seems to be the best value in my case. Hope that's true. And now all I need is some amp? (which a recommended one is the M-Audio Fast track mk2?) Does it differ from headphone amps?

Thx for the quick replies! What do you mean by a computer fit for recording? I guess I might go for the Rode as it seems to be the best value in my case. Hope that's true. And now all I need is some amp? (which a recommended one is the M-Audio Fast track mk2?) Does this amp also differ from a headphone amp?

A computer with troublesome RAM and processor could junk up your recordings, or not even have enough strength to record at all.

Yes fast track mk2. It's an interface, and the amp in there is a preamp for your mic. It'll boost the signal. In simple terms- a volume knob for your mic.

A headphone amp is a volume knob for your headphones. Not too mandatory since the fast track has a headphone out that im sure will do just fine.

Are there any other recommended interfaces? or is that the best value i can get at this price range?

Are there any other recommended interfaces? or is that the best value i can get at this price range?
I don't know much about m-audio products.
All I'm really qualified to recommend is the Tascam US-200. I use a US-1800 and I really enjoy it.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Order's been sent. I'll start playing around with it when it arrives :D!

Back