a little help please

nathan236

Banned
hi, I started doing some home recording on my laptop, but the results are, not profeshional sounding and just ok. I was hoping to learn some things about recording, and maybe get some tips. I am using an acer laptop, that I purchased about 4 years ago, a Steinberg CI1 audio interface, a sure microphone, and a boss RC3 loop pedal, that I use to import all the guitar parts that ive recorded. I amalso using audacity to record it all on.

does anyone know if things like the sound card in my computer, or how much rom or ram my computer has anything to do with why I am not getting a great sound ? or could it be the program I am using to record have something to do with it ? or something else that I don't know about.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

N

If you could upload a sample to Soundcloud and post a link, you would get more specific advice that might help you more.

I'm assuming that your audio interface is doing the work of converting your analog signals to digital and back to analog, so no need to worry about your card. I'd guess the problems you are experiencing are down to your recording technique, and whatever mixing and processing you are doing after that. There is a lot to learn, and a lot of information out there to help you learn it.

That Boss loop pedal may be a weak link. I have one too. It's a fun pedal for what it does, but it would not be my choice for capturing guitar recordings to import into my DAW. It not saying it couldn't sound good; actually I've never tried it myself. If the pedal is between your guitar and amp, then what you are recording is the direct sound of your pickups. I assume you are adding some kind of amp sim plugin in Audacity? That's another thing to give a careful listen to. Is your amp sim giving you the sound you want?

Best I can do without hearing what you are hearing.

You got any examples of your recordings to listen to, to help us try and pin point some main reasons? If your audio interface is half descent I can't see why it should make a difference to the overall sound output. But what are your laptop specs?

The thing about recording music is actually playing your instrument well is MASSIVE thing. The old saying of 'you can't polish a turd' is soon true. Also mixing things correctly makes a massive difference. I wild much rather hear a well played good song with a slightly poor recording then a pro sound recording but bad playing.

I will try to import something to a format that would play on sound cloud. but you guys cant laugh at my vocial. ha ha.

I think you're going to need to attack this from different directions: Performance and recording. I'll focus on the guitar; maybe others can comment on the vocals.

Performance wise, your playing needs to improve. You don't need super chops to make good guitar recordings, but you do need to play cleanly and in time. If you aren't using a metronome or a click track, start using one. Concentrate on playing to the beat and fingering your chords cleanly. Keep in mind, you don't need strum on on every beat. Try hitting the chord on the change, then letting it ring until the next change. Work up from there to more complex rhythm patterns. Also, you don't need to play full 6-string chords. Partial chords often fit better in a mix with other instruments anyway.

The recording sounds noisy, dull, and clipped. Personally, I would ditch the loop pedal and plug your guitar straight into the interface. You'll need to select the Hi-Z or mic-level input option. Then you will need some kind of amp simulation plugin in the DAW. You also have the option of micing your amp. If you can get a good tone from the amp, then it's just a matter of sticking the microphone in front and experimenting with positioning. There's lots of information out there.

If you are motivated and stick with it, your results will improve.

Your vocals have a nice quality to them, but they are not recorded well. There is no top or bottom to them, and they sound very much like they are out of a megaphone. There is also clipping here and there. I'm not sure what you are doing to get the sound.

Guitars need to be tuned . . . there's something tuning tension there, and if you set yourself up with a click track you shold be able to keep in time better.

I wouldn't mind hearing more of the song, which I enjoyed so far.

I am using a sure SM58 that I plug into the Steinberg CI1 audio interface. I was probably singing right into it, because I didn't have any moniter speakers hooked up at the momment, so I couldn't hear myself. I just recorded in my bedroom,which is a pretty open space. Im not sure if recording with the pedal is a good idea, like you said it might just be recording the pickus and not the amp. I did just learn how to add amp sim plugins to audicy,but all the ones I tried sound terrible to me. would you know where to find some good ones ?It might just be better to mike the amp. The vocials do sound kind of like theres no top or bottom. why is that ?

thanks for the feedbak

The amp sims I hear people talking about are ones like Guitar Rig and Amplitude. Those are payware. I've never used them myself. I mic the amp; it's not hard. Keep in mind, if you're turning the amp up loud to get a certain tone, it's hard to hear what you are actually recording because the sound of the amp will come through your headphones. The solution to get the amp out of the room where you are playing. That requires running long cables under the door. What kind of amp are you using?

You'll need to get some headphones. Part of your problem might be that you can't hear what you are recording, so you won't know if it is sounding good until you play it back. You have to be able to monitor as you play. My suggestion is a closed back headphone where the pad fits all the way over your ear, without any openings. Get one that has a nice beefy cable, preferably a spiral one that stretches like the old phone cables. The little cables won't hold up.

Audacity is great but not perhaps the best software for building tracks?

The C11 interface should have come with Steinberg's Sequel and a light version of Wavelab. If so give those a do.

If not the "free till the guilt kicks in" Reaper is usually touted and is fine. I rather like the totally free forever MAGIX Samplitude Pro X Silver.

Dave.

Hi Nathan just finished work and listened to your things. I hope your ready for some true words:

Your guitar playing is incredibly out of time , you really need to record to a click (metronome) . Also this will not make you naturally in time you still have to get your rhythm right so your hitting each start of the bars perfectly.

Secondly you need to spend more time plying your instrument fluently as you can clearly hear small pauses for you to reach your next chord and the chords are not played cleanly at all.

Your vocals have no emotion to them and it's like your talking instead of singing. Even Johnny cash had this kinda style but still you could feel his emotion.

All this on top of a poor quality recording does not make for a good listen. If you are really interested in home recordin I would look at something like a line 6 UX1 as they are really good for such a low price and so easy to use and you can get lots of differ t effects and a descent sound. I would also get a better DAW such a sonar artist for your basic needs .

Experiment and learn your instrument more and you will do great! I hope I don't come across as a downer but I can't lie.

practice and research some gear. Sub $500 will get you a half decent starting point.

All the problems Chris mentioned can be fixed with practice. You can progress quickly depending on what you put into it. Sharing your recordings on the forum can motivate you, at least it has me.

its hard to feel encouraged when someone says your vocials have no emotion. im less worried about my timing and technical ability at the moment ,then I am with getting my vocials to sound how I actually sound in real life. I can work with a metronome if that would help be on the beat,but I am more interested in why my equiptment sounds shitty then I am in my performance for now.

Get some headphones and try monitoring on those while you record. The odds of getting a good recording if you can't hear what's being tracked are pretty near zero. Set your levels and adjust your microphone while you listen through the headphones.

About the emotions, just think of it this way. You're working to capture the a certain feeling in the vocals. That's the goal. If the audience isn't hearing that emotion, that just means you haven't yet achieved it. Work at it. I'm no great singer, but here's what I've found. I need to sing the song a dozen or more times to really start getting close to what I want. I need to get to the point where I'm really at home with the song. Until I get to that point of familiarity, there a hesitancy in the way I sing it. It's hard to put the feeling into it when I'm not fully comfortable with the song. Try recording the five or ten times. You'll notice it starts sounding and feeling more organic.

Lot's of good advice up above, but just a few basic answers to your original questions.

Don't worry about the sound card in your computer. The Steinberg bypasses that entirely--and by having a decent interface you're already ahead of the game compared to people who try to use the onboard sound card.

Faster processors or extra RAM will help the performance of your system when you start adding effects and things...but they have nothing to do with sound quality.

Now, onto your recording. That really didn't sound like an SM58 close up to me. The 58 isn't a great mic but, even in an untreated room, it should sound better than that. Silly question, but are you sure you're recording your Shure? (See what I did there?) I'm seriously wondering if you somehow have the onboard mic on your computer routing into your DAW rather than the Steinberg. Worth checking... I don't know what DAW your have (Cubase maybe since you have the Steinberg) so if this is a possibility then hopefully somebody can talk you through the set up.

Beyond that, the advice to get some headphones is essential. You need to hear yourself to record properly. Your interface has "Direct Monitoring" which will allow you to create a nice mix of recorded tracks and your live voice.

However, the bad news is that there's no magic "make it sound good" trick. It just takes lots of practice and experimentation. The good news it, it's fun to play.

Finally, I strongly recommend working through the various FAQs pinned on this board. There's some really helpful stuff there.

I did not mean to offend you with your vocals. Just wanting you to know there is no "make it sound good" button. It's all time effort and practice and as you get better upgrade your gear. The advice about headphones is essential

The 58 isn't a great mic but, even in an untreated room, it should sound better than that. Silly question, but are you sure you're recording your Shure? (See what I did there?) I'm seriously wondering if you somehow have the onboard mic on your computer routing into your DAW rather than the Steinberg.

Good point . . . I couldn't figure out how a 58 could sound so narrow.

. I think that maybe ,I didn't install the right driver and set it to stienber. that could also be part of the problem. I think I might go to long an mcquade and pick up some headphones. hopefully there not a ridiculous price. the mike is a sure microphone. It was given to me by my grandpa. I don't think it is a fake,but who knows.

i still havnt gone out to buy headphones yet,which i plan to do ,but I went and got the peavey vypyr 100 amplifier. It plugs into a computer, which is why i bought it.it also works with audacity .

I have listened to some of the recordings on here ,and they sound pretty good to me. i would eventually like to write songs like the people on here do. I think that would be the coolest thing in the world to be able to express your self through music .

I was wonder if i could get some more tips. things like how do you get your vocials to sound good ? I know that a good mike would be key, but do they do anything else to the signal ? like effect or is it just straight through the mike to your daw and that's it. also what about drums. i don't have a drummer?

Back