Latency correction question!

Loopback test results!
Lexicon Alpha

The Front "Instrument" Line - 195 ms gap
Line 1 - 185-187 ms gap
Line 2 - 185 ms gap

Don't know why the front one is so different. Also, why is it this large when Cubase is telling me latency is 36ms?

POTENTIAL FIX

I used the latency correction in the advanced options that said "Correct for Record Latency". I set my buffer at "Highest Stability" therefore a latency of 140.6ms. I tested that and it was miles out as it should be.
Then I converted 140.6ms into samples and inserted (negative) samples into "Correct for Record Latency". It seems to have done the trick I think (it's definitely better but I guess time could prove it slightly out as I record more and different things). I'm surprised Cubase doesn't already do this considering it "knows" what the latency is. So this leaves me a few questions! (PS your help has been excellent so far and I have much appreciated it. Wouldn't have got this far on my own!)

1. So why doesn't Cubase automatically correct latency?
2. Surely when I use my other input it will be 10ms out because my audacity loopback test test proved I get different values for different line ins.
3. How does Cubase "know" the latency? Is it definitely correct or an estimation? Could I do a loopback test in Cubase and get a better result?
4. How can it be such a simple resolution considering millions of forums posts are dedicated to solving it?

Once again, the help so far has been so great, and I've learned a huge amount about it all and am now looking forward to getting some tracks down!
Thanks

Quick question; did you download the Alpha driver v2.7 from the website or just the install disc that came with it. I'm not sure but there could be a newer version there.

I never had the issue when I used the Alpha in Cubase. Either the driver is funky or somehow the setting in Cubase got changed.

Make sure to go to Device Manager and delete the old driver before installing the new one. Even if it is the same version, I would still install the new one. Maybe the old is corrupt somehow...

HERE is the site link.

I tell ya, this has me scratching my head because I have never had a latency issue with any interface I've ever used. Tracks are always aligned properly.

1. So why doesn't Cubase automatically correct latency?
It should!! I wonder why it isn't.
2. Surely when I use my other input it will be 10ms out because my audacity loopback test test proved I get different values for different line ins.
Not sure
3. How does Cubase "know" the latency? Is it definitely correct or an estimation? Could I do a loopback test in Cubase and get a better result?
There is a loopback test in the panel I described earlier. Cubase gets latency data from the ASIO driver. It should be using it to determine the offset and it should be automatic. Unless you have something turned off or selecting the wrong driver, it should be working and you shouldn't have to even think about it.
4. How can it be such a simple resolution considering millions of forums posts are dedicated to solving it?
Well, that gets subjective. lol

Quick question: in Windows, have you disabled your onboard sound card? Before I start anything, and before plugging in the USB sound card / audio interface (Steinberg UR824) -- I always disable all HW record and playback devices, and also make sure the sound driver process is killed (Realtek, or whatever it's called). Then plug in the USB, and the record and playback devices show up and are ready to go, and fire up Cubase and everything always "just works". I have seen that brand of sound card (and / or its SW processes do some really weird and bad things.

I think your problem is the i3 coprocessor. i have an i7. I don't think your laptop is up to the task. I never have any latency problems.
Rod Norman
Engineer

Hi,

Been looking round to try and work this one out, and there seems to be no definite answer other than reduce latency with faster hardware from the start. However...
I'm running a Lexicon Alpha into my laptop (i3, 8GB RAM) which is running Cubase (I've just switched from Audacity). Audacity used a latency correction that re positioned the track after the recording.
In Cubase, under device management it tells me latency is 36.077ms. Because I use hardware monitoring through the Lexicon which is no latency (or very low) does this not mean I can just correct latency is Cubase by exactly 36.077ms for every track I do? Why isn't this the standard answer, it seems too simple for latency to be such a huge issue!
What have I missed? (and how would I do this in Cubase 5 LE?)

Thanks!

Back