EZdrummer 2 Help please.

OhCruelFortune

I have just started trying to record mine and a friend's music that we've been writing for several months. I have enlisted the digital help of Presonus Studio One, which seems to have a pretty steep learning curve. That being said, I have figured out how to create a track with EZdrummer 2, but all of my drum sounds sound like they're either clipping or in a tin can. What is wrong? I have eliminated all reverbs from soundcard, and from both programs. Help me. Nothing shows anywhere that it's clipping, and my mind is completely boggled.

Did you go into the EZD2 mixer to remove the room and mic bleed and check the fader levels for each drum mic? Clipping = too loud signal, are your meters going into the red?

I did actually, none of my meters are going into the red, and even if I make the signal barely audible, it still does it. I'm thinking maybe a driver issue, or perhaps something to do with the monitor double playing the signal and causing it?

I'm really at a total loss here, as I have fiddled with every option that I can think to fiddle with. I might just need a step by step on how to set this VST up and actually start using it. There's a SUBSTANTIAL possibility that I've missed something along the way when trying to use it, as I haven't even come across a grid where I can layout notes. I literally understand next to nothing about this DAW, but I am capable of learning if someone has the patience to help. Thanks in advance for any replies, and know this: I WILL stroke your ego sufficiently should you help me get this rolling. I am a musician, but I have done next to no recording besides messing around in Audacity. :)

Sorry, I don't know anything about Studio One. In Reaper, you just double-click on the MIDI track (you drag and drop from EZD to the track) and the MIDI editor opens up.
Can you post a sound clip of the what you're calling 'clipping'? Have you run EZD2 in stand-alone mode, and how does it sound when you do? Do you mean its distorting when you say 'clipping'? Do you have the correct drivers installed for Studio1?

Sorry, I don't know anything about Studio One. In Reaper, you just double-click on the MIDI track (you drag and drop from EZD to the track) and the MIDI editor opens up.
Can you post a sound clip of the what you're calling 'clipping'? Have you run EZD2 in stand-alone mode, and how does it sound when you do? Do you mean its distorting when you say 'clipping'? Do you have the correct drivers installed for Studio1?

1. So do I start with a preloaded track in EZD, and then drag that over to edit it? I really want to build tracks from scratch.

2. It does not have the same problem in standalone mode.

3. As it seems reaper is more beginner friendly, I have chosen to switch to it for the time being while I familiarize myself with DAWs in general, so I assume drivers shouldn't be the issue, and I have reduced delays, mic bleed and generally messed around with the EZD mixer, attempting to "clean up" the signal. All of my attempts to do so have failed, so it has lead me to believe I am making some sort of fundamental mistake.

It does do the same sort of distortion in reaper, as well.

Also, I will record a clip as soon as possible, but as for right now, I don't even know how to begin actually programming a track. Could I just record raw sounds by just recording my clicking of the software and recording it to a bare track?

Sorry for the long post, and sorry I'm so clueless at the moment.

Last edited:
Not to knock Reaper, but Cubase has the best and easiest to use drum editor. Just sayin. Not trollin.

I've never 'live recorded' with EZD, but I guess you do like you suggested.
Operation is pretty simple. Just grab a loop (multibar or single, whatever you want) from the EZD window, drag and drop it to your MIDI track. Set up your outputs to have each drum on a separate track, or just do it mono until you get it figured out. You are doing something wrong if you get clear sound on stand-alone but clipping when inserted into a DAW track.
Note that in EZD2, if you first drag to the play bar in the EZD2 window, then drag it to your track, it is still on the EZD2 play track, so if you hit 'play', it'll be playing on both your DAW and EZD2 at the same time. You need to delete it from the EZD window first. This is something that had me baffled the other night! 'Why am I hearing cymbals when I deleted all of them (MIDI edit) from this section?' I don't think EZD2 is as intuitively easy as the original version - that was just like programming an old Roland drum machine.

See, the thing is, I really want to program every "note" of the drums myself, because I already have original music written that I want to program the drums to. And that's why loops aren't really what I'm looking for. Maybe EZD isn't really what I need, but I perhaps need Superior Drummer?

See, the thing is, I really want to program every "note" of the drums myself, because I already have original music written that I want to program the drums to. And that's why loops aren't really what I'm looking for. Maybe EZD isn't really what I need, but I perhaps need Superior Drummer?

I do exactly this.

The sample software you use isn't particularly relevant, because it's done (in my world anyway) via the MIDI editor of the host you're using. I use Reaper, it's not particularly simple but nor is it impossible, but if Jimmy says it's easier in Cubase, that's worth checking out.

But have you solved the issue of the distortion yet?

Not to belabour the obvious, but have you turned the master fader down (on the VSTi, not the host) and/or set relative volumes in whatever mixer thing your VSTi gives you? Plug ins aren't going to automatically play themselves at the correct volume.. and if you're listening pre-grooved tracks at the moment while you're just sorting stuff out then they could have the hits up really high (as in 128), of have individual faders for particular drums set really high (unity or thereabouts) and could be causing clipping when going into the host as they're just too hot...

Try the various options you have available to turn shit down first... perhaps your problem lies there. Just a guess.

That's what I've been saying, is that I have tried adjusting volume levels for every hit, track, effect, master and everything else you have mentioned, I can find no clipping anywhere. I think it's more of a distortion/feedback of some sort, I can best describe it as a metallic echo (not reverb) and a static-like envelope to every sound I hear, most noticeable on the toms and not so much the snare or cymbals. Although I do believe it may not be as audible on those due to the obviously less "notey" sound of those.

And I don't think it's the hit volume for sure, because it happens even when I just click the drums myself and test sounds, even on the default kits. Thanks so much for any suggestion though guys, tomorrow is my day off and I should be able to post samples and try any suggestions we come up with between now and then, but so far, I feel as though we're making progress in narrowing down the problem, and you guys are being super helpful.

EZD2 - look at your kit setting. There are various settings including a 'dry' one. Even with the dry kit, there is still an 'ambiance' (room) slider in the mixer view. There are also mic bleed knobs for OH and snare.

Already tried making the signal totally dry, reducing all ambience, reverb, mic bleed. I am at least vaguely familiar with how that stuff works, I helped home record an EP of one of my old bands. That's why this has me puzzled. I feel like it's something with the way the midi is being translated or input into the program, because it happens with Studio One and Reaper. I will post samples later tonight.

It sounds like you've got a feedback loop in your sound card setup somewhere. Kind of like the "what you hear" feature on the old SoundBlaster cards. What sound card or audio interface are you using for playback? And what are you telling Studio One/Reaper to use as the playback device? That'll be in the audio, recording, or device menu of your software host.

It is a high end Creative ASIO. That's about all I know about it. I will have to look into that, because it sounds highly likely that it is the issue. I will investigate tonight, as I have access to the computer again.

It sounds like you've got a feedback loop in your sound card setup somewhere. Kind of like the "what you hear" feature on the old SoundBlaster cards. What sound card or audio interface are you using for playback? And what are you telling Studio One/Reaper to use as the playback device? That'll be in the audio, recording, or device menu of your software host.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...

It is a high end Creative ASIO. That's about all I know about it. I will have to look into that, because it sounds highly likely that it is the issue. I will investigate tonight, as I have access to the computer again.

Creative = Soundblaster. :facepalm: These are not made for music recording, they are for gaming and surround-sound movies, etc. It may not have the monitoring options you need. Get yourself an audio interface made for recording.

Back