"Under My Wheels"....Last Alice Cooper cover for a while, I promise. :)

R

RAMI

The only reason I did this one is because I had done it about 5-6 years ago, and really like the tune but wanted to re-do most of the tracks. So, I got around to changing everything except the bass track, which was acceptable.

This is my last cover for a while, I have a few originals almost finished, just wanted to get this one out of the way.

Let me know what y'all think.

Thanx

UNDER MY WHEELS (Alice Cooper cover)

Hey! What's going on? This thread isn't showing up when I go to the Clinic.

EDIT: It's there now. I swear it wasn't there 5 minutes after I posted. That was the wierdest thing.

Firstly - Don't apologize - your covers are always great and I like hearing them! Not familiar with this although I probbaly heard your version way back :)

So I'm hearing your wah wah amd can't help but wonder... are you re-amping the wah wah lol, or any other guitar tracks - that's been prevelent lately so it's the first thing on my mind.
Either way they have great tone and the dual leads sound nice.

Lots of cool layering generally of the guitars all working well together.

I think my favorite thing is the balance between the vocals and the drums - which are to me very important parts of any recording - plus I'm listening more to drums lately. They are neck and neck like I think they should be and play off each other well - one drives the tune and the other gives it flavour and melody. The rest is just icing on the cake!

---------- Update ----------

Plus there's about 100000000 new reviews to sort through on the new post thingy again.

Firstly - Don't apologize - your covers are always great and I like hearing them! Not familiar with this although I probbaly heard your version way back :)
Thanx man. It's just that this happens to be the third or forth Alice cover I've posted in a couple of weeks.

So I'm hearing your wah wah amd can't help but wonder... are you re-amping the wah wah lol, or any other guitar tracks - that's been prevelent lately so it's the first thing on my mind.
Either way they have great tone and the dual leads sound nice.
I'm reamping the guitars, except for whenever you hear a wah. I tried recording the Wah DI and then reamping and that doesn't work. Then I tried placing the wah between my interface and the amp while I reamp and playing it with my foot while reamping and that didn't work, either. So, the wah parts are actually played and recorded through the amp the way it should be. I'm on a bit of a wah kik lately, but in this tune, the original happens to have the wah where I'm playing it, so I'm not adding wah to a wah-less tune. :D

Lots of cool layering generally of the guitars all working well together.
Thanx a lot. If you listen to the original, you'll hear that what I'm doing with all the layering is actually trying to duplicate some horn parts that are on the original. I had to pick and choose what to keep and what to ditch. It's close, but it's my version of all the layering that's in the original.

I think my favorite thing is the balance between the vocals and the drums - which are to me very important parts of any recording - plus I'm listening more to drums lately. They are neck and neck like I think they should be and play off each other well - one drives the tune and the other gives it flavour and melody. The rest is just icing on the cake!
Cool. The hard part about mixing a modern cover of a 40+ old song is that, if I mixed it like the original, I'm sure everyone would say the drums are too low. Drums weren't loud back then. So, I'm walking a tight rope between trying to sort of stay true to the original to a certain extent, and still having a little bit of modern power to it.

I'm still a little worried and un-sure about my drums because I changed the way I mic them last week. So I'm still not 100% confident that everything I'm doing with them sounds good.

Plus there's about 100000000 new reviews to sort through on the new post thingy again.
OH, not that again! I never use the "New posts" feature. I just have my profile set to automatically subscribe to anything I post in. So I get notifications of new posts for any thread I posted in.

nice cover!
one of my favorites from cooper

the drums sound a bit muffled....

but i totally get what you are saying, about trying to match levels of classics..

at least get the drums a little more punchy, and with more high end clarity, even if you do not bring the levels up

I think this flat ass rocks!
Superb vocal performance man. I will let others knit pick the mix ...since my mixes don't sound half this good. Great bass sound by the way. Everything meshed and I wasn't saying "man, that needs adjusting and this is out of whack" to myself. I wouldn't change a damn thing.

nice cover!
one of my favorites from cooper

the drums sound a bit muffled....

but i totally get what you are saying, about trying to match levels of classics..

at least get the drums a little more punchy, and with more high end clarity, even if you do not bring the levels up
OK, will do for sure. I'll clean up those drums. Thanx a lot.

I think this flat ass rocks!
Superb vocal performance man. I will let others knit pick the mix ...since my mixes don't sound half this good. Great bass sound by the way. Everything meshed and I wasn't saying "man, that needs adjusting and this is out of whack" to myself. I wouldn't change a damn thing.
Great. Thanx Jimi. I really appreciate that.

One can never cover enough AC songs! LOL!:thumbs up: Good job!
Can't argue with that. :D

You wah it well.
Everything is cool Rami except the snare in the intro sounds a little uncertain to my ears. The same break appears later but seems more definite at that time.

You keep this up and I'm going to have to buy an AC greatest hits album. Only know a few of his songs and never heard this one before, but your version rocks. This is the kind of thing I could crank on that Friday evening drive from the workplace to the bar.

Whereas I liked this type of snare tone on your last AC song, on this one a heavy, punchy snare I think would fit the song better. Not that I'm complaining.

If you're taking AC requests, do "Serious" next!

You wah it well.
Everything is cool Rami except the snare in the intro sounds a little uncertain to my ears. The same break appears later but seems more definite at that time.
Thanx a lot. Having fun with the wah. Just so happens that this tune has wah in it.

Not sure what part you're talking about with the snare. There isn't really a part of the intro that comes back later in the song, so not sure where the snare sounds awkward in the intro. The very very beginning of the song is toms until that roll a couple of seconds in. Maybe you're talking about that roll a few seconds after the actual intro?

Either way, I'm probably going to re-track the drums to this and a few other of my last couple of tunes.

You keep this up and I'm going to have to buy an AC greatest hits album. Only know a few of his songs and never heard this one before, but your version rocks. This is the kind of thing I could crank on that Friday evening drive from the workplace to the bar.

Whereas I liked this type of snare tone on your last AC song, on this one a heavy, punchy snare I think would fit the song better. Not that I'm complaining.

If you're taking AC requests, do "Serious" next!
Thanx man. Cool about the snare. Like I said above, I'll be re-tracking the drums to this and a few others. Need to get the sound I used to have on my drums, which I lost for some reason. I used to have a great sounding snare that suited everything.

I don't know "Serious". It must be later AC, which I'm not interested in at all. To me, the original Alice Cooper band, which disbanded in 1976 after Billion Dollar Babies, is the only AC worth listening to. All his later "Poison" crap is like a different artist to me. I don't even consider any of that Alice Cooper.

Last edited:
Thanx man. Cool about the snare. Like I said above, I'll be re-tracking the drums to this and a few others. Need to get the sound I used to have on my drums, which I lost for some reason. I used to have a great sounding snare that suited everything.

Swell. Do you remember the "kite-eating tree" from Charlie Brown? Maybe you have a snare-eating couch!

I don't know "Serious". It must be later AC, which I'm not interested in at all. To me, the original Alice Cooper band, which disbanded in 1976 after Billion Dollar Babies, is the only AC worth listening to. All his later "Poison" crap is like a different artist to me. I don't even consider any of that Alice Cooper.

I have gleaned from this that you are heavily into Alice Cooper and are disappointed that he went cock-rock in the 80s. I only know "Serious" from being covered by a band called Sloppy Seconds many years ago, whom I look upon as you look upon old Alice Cooper. The chorus is memorable and would jog your memory if you've ever heard it before.

Sloppy Seconds - Serious - YouTube

Apparently AC put it out in 1978, which I guess is after he stopped rockin' and started playing golf. He takes golf serious!

I don't know the original at all as I'm not a fan of Alice Cooper. I don't think I could name a song he did. Something about a School? Was that him? I don't know.

Anyway......this sounds fucking great to me. One thing I did notice that stood out to me was the "B" on But at 28secs sounded a little harsh but it's nothing major.

I really enjoyed it. :thumbs up:

I don't know the original at all as I'm not a fan of Alice Cooper. I don't think I could name a song he did. Something about a School? Was that him? I don't know.

Anyway......this sounds fucking great to me. One thing I did notice that stood out to me was the "B" on But at 28secs sounded a little harsh but it's nothing major.

I really enjoyed it. :thumbs up:
Hehe.....Yeah, something about a school. :D

Thanx a lor Mr. clean. :cool:

I thought this was great. The drums sound especially nice. Just perfect sounding. I like the vocal too.

Personal preference - I could use a little more woof in the bass. Just a bit clean for my tastes.

Guitars sound cool. A little more low midrange that you usually have. I don't know the original, so I'm guessing you're trying to emulate it? Don't know.

Anyway, excellent sounding mix.

Not sure what part you're talking about with the snare. There isn't really a part of the intro that comes back later in the song, so not sure where the snare sounds awkward in the intro. The very very beginning of the song is toms until that roll a couple of seconds in. Maybe you're talking about that roll a few seconds after the actual intro?
...guess I'll never know.......

---------- Update ----------

I thought this was great. The drums sound especially nice. Just perfect sounding. I like the vocal too.

Personal preference - I could use a little more woof in the bass. Just a bit clean for my tastes.

Guitars sound cool. A little more low midrange that you usually have. I don't know the original, so I'm guessing you're trying to emulate it? Don't know.

Anyway, excellent sounding mix.
Thanx a lot Triple. Snare isn't too ringy?

I thoroughly enjoyed this. As I sat here in my recliner I found myself playing air drums with my feet and air guitar with my hands right along with you. Don't ever quit.

Since I am an AC fan, I know the original very well and I would say one of his finer songs. It is just fun.

As always great job, if I had to pick on anything would be, the vocals are just a bit too out front. Vocals could sit closer to the rest of the music.

Another, not sure if it really makes sense, but it was just a bit too bright and clean. The original was nearly a crisp. (OK, just stupid talk, you can call me MW :eek: )

Overall, as usual. Great everything. Hard to comment on your stuff except, great.

Damn, I missed this in all the troll slop happening at this site lately.

I think this is really good. I don't know the original, but your version here sounds like it could be a early Bowie song - that's a good thing to me. Very classic rockish guitar riffs and sounds. Drums sound really good to me. I suppose you got your new setup figured out. Snare sounds awesome. Pop and body. Just right to me. Eveything sounds fine to me. Very well done.

Back