ramshackle - beck cover

Thanks Greg. Agreed on the main acoustic parts. It's that damned nylon stringed guitar. I never can get it to sound good with other instruments (sounds fine solo), but for some reason I keep using it anyway.

Nylon string huh? That would explain it. I'm no acoustic guitar guy by any means, but I don't ever recall one of those sounding very good as a strummed rhythm instrument. Aren't they typically used more as a lead finger plucked kind of thing? Like for classical guitar, or flamenco or some shit like that?

I took one semester of classical guitar in college. It's the only formal lessons I've ever had on any instrument. I can still finger pick halfway decently. I use none of it to this day. :facepalm:

Nylon string huh? That would explain it. I'm no acoustic guitar guy by any means, but I don't ever recall one of those sounding very good as a strummed rhythm instrument. Aren't they typically used more as a lead finger plucked kind of thing? Like for classical guitar, or flamenco or some shit like that?

I took one semester of classical guitar in college. It's the only formal lessons I've ever had on any instrument. I can still finger pick halfway decently. I use none of it to this day. :facepalm:

Yeah, I only lightly strum it during the intro (along with a steel string). The rest of the time I am finger picking (uh...plucking really) little 2-note mini-chords to form the backing melody. My steel string is old with high, stiff action and I couldn't finger pick these parts on it well enough.

Either way, the classical guitar records kind of dull and boomy. I could've spent more time with mic positioning though.

I totally can't picture you taking classical guitar lessons!

My dad still plays classical guitar (at 83) and this is one of his actually - on super long term loan to me.

I totally can't picture you taking classical guitar lessons!

Lol. It was odd for sure. I didn't mean to take that class. I don't remember the exact details, but I either misunderstood what the class was, or it was a schedule fuck up and I got placed in the wrong class. I think that I thought it was "classical" as in basic guitar lessons. Either way, I do remember it took only the first day for me to realize I was in the wrong place, but I liked the instructor and he worked around my total disregard for classical guitar. He even gave me free private lessons after class because I was sooooo coming from a far away different place than everyone else. Really nice fella, and man could he play! I knew nothing. All I knew was ham-fisted powerchords and he made it work. I did learn a lot of basic classical stuff that I can still do, I just don't.

Shit, sorry for the thread mirojack.

Back