Outside Looking In

ido1957

9K Gold Member
Edit - new mix today (Aug 16) using individual drum tracks. This is the first time I mixed drum tracks - usually I use the stereo drum track Jason send us. Seems ok to my ears but would be great if you could listen and tell me what you think of my newbie drum mix. Same link below I just replaced the SC file.

Hi - this is our first mix of this tune, so we need your feedback on what we're doing right and most importantly what we're doing wrong. Thanks to Jason for getting the drums to us so quickly.
mjhamil - bass
ido1957 - guitars, vocals
poeticintensity - drums

Notes - drums are a stereo track so we can't adjust individual drums on this. First time singing through Mikes C414/ISA2. First tune recorded with my new Gibson LPC which I'm just loving.

Outside Looking In

Last edited:
Sounds good man.

Vocals and guitars seem to bury the drums though. First thing I would do is bring up the drums.

I think it is quite close, the drums just not quite loud enough.

Good stuff! :)

Sounds good man.

Vocals and guitars seem to bury the drums though. First thing I would do is bring up the drums.

I think it is quite close, the drums just not quite loud enough.

Good stuff! :)

Thanks Jimmy - I'll get on those drums :)

Sounds clean. Jimmy is right, bit more drums and maybe vocals down just a tad.

Good clean recording for sure, sounds good.

Why can't you get individual drum tracks? It makes things so much better and easier.

On the plus side.....the new guitar sounds bad ass. Nice fat classic Gibson/Marshall sound. Bass sounds cool.

I think the vocal level is fine in relation to the bass and guitars, but it seems a little up front without drum presence helping to fill things up. Bring up the drums before you drop the vocals.

Hey Greg - You're right and I've been thinking lately of getting the individual tracks for drum mixing practice. The odd time we'll get a comment to adjust the kick or snare - it hasn't been too often but it would be good to have the tracks. I've always used Jason's stereo track and have been pretty happy with them. Maybe it's time to learn how to mix drums not because his mix is lacking but more of a next step in mixing skills.

Hey Greg - You're right and I've been thinking lately of getting the individual tracks for drum mixing practice. The odd time we'll get a comment to adjust the kick or snare - it hasn't been too often but it would be good to have the tracks. I've always used Jason's stereo track and have been pretty happy with them. Maybe it's time to learn how to mix drums not because his mix is lacking but more of a next step in mixing skills.
You're really limited with using a stereo drum track. If Jason will send them to you, get each piece of the kit raw and unprocessed. It will open up a whole new world of headache but eventual mix glory for you. :D

Hey man this sounds pretty great. Vocals and guitar are great. Definitely bring the drums up, either just a bump on the fader or maybe play with some compression on that stereo drum track to see if there are any good results to be had.

I'm not all that good at mixing drums, but these fellas are right...you can do a lot with the separate drum tracks. It's fun to play with squashing or EQing the kick and snare, but at very least you can adjust their levels relative to the rest of the kit.

Mike sent Jason a request for the individual drum tracks. Greg's right - I probably in for a headache learning drum mixing but I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
One trick that I heard about that I want to try is compressing the bass and kick together. I have no idea what it does but we'll find out lol

Mike sent Jason a request for the individual drum tracks. Greg's right - I probably in for a headache learning drum mixing but I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
One trick that I heard about that I want to try is compressing the bass and kick together. I have no idea what it does but we'll find out lol

I know some folks use side chaining with the kick and bass. Not sure if that would work here. Most areas of music I have seen it is in EDM. I've tried in my music and usually remove it, but it can help the kick and bass groove together a bit more.

I know some folks use side chaining with the kick and bass. Not sure if that would work here. Most areas of music I have seen it is in EDM. I've tried in my music and usually remove it, but it can help the kick and bass groove together a bit more.

Works good for electro music, pretty unnecessary with rock and roll.

I'd advise against studio trickery. It only complicates things for the inexperienced. Get comfortable with dealing with drums as they are. You can always play mix games later.

Sounds good ido. Nice song and performances as usual. I agree with everyone else it seems that the drums could do with a boost, but other than that you sound done to me. Nice smooth mix :)

Ido & Mke,
Great guitar and bass sounds - this is the est I've heard Mik's bass in ages. It has bite & drive - not in pseudo mix terms just inmterms of hearing abass and reacting.
Voice is cool - lifting the drums alittle will help once you've the parts it'll come togther.
Try Greg's sticky in drum land for hints, tips and axiomatic processes.

Like everyone else, lilft the drums a couple of dB... the rest is neato as it is.... except... the drum track cuts off a bit unexpectedly for me... is that just the drummer choking the cymbal or an actual editing move on the track?:thumbs up:

Why do you need a solo vocal track to do a harmony? How about an MP3 of the song?

Because he has the giddy effect that Melodyne can have on a user with a new toy. lol!

It happens. I have created lower harmonies with Melodyne that give depth to a vocal track. There is one on the site I did for Einar a while back. The song was called 'Everyday'. Don't know the link.

Here is the song tho. The harmonies are subtle at times, more strong in the chorus, but nonetheless created with Melodyne.

Attachments

• Everyday-01.mp3
    6.7 MB · Views: 15
It sounds good but needs more level on drums as others pointed out already. It's really tight and clean, almost to the point of being a bit sterile. It need some type of ambiance to get a more organic sound. That is more a matter of personal taste on my part than something that actually needs fixing.
Good song.

Back