New song - "People in the Seventies"

I like the timbre of the toms. One of them almost sounds like a timpani.
Regarding the mix, it's good and balanced. The only thing i find a bit distracting is the drums move around when listening in headphones. It almost sounds like surround sound.

This song reminds me of "late for the sky" era Jackson Browne in terms of arrangements, timbres, and even the somber feel.

Thanks for the listen! Interesting about the Jackson Browne. He's never been an A-list influence for me, but I've always loved his voice. It always sounded so organic and pleasant to me. And there are tunes of his that I really dig---especially "These Days" and "The Pretender." I can hear what you're saying, though, now that you bring it up. :)

Yeah these days and the pretender are fantastic. I like some songs off Late for The Sky. It's a good record, actually. Every time I play it my lady gets on me for playing "dad rock"...lol

Maybe a little too much FX on the intro guitar.
Nice arrangement and playing.
I was a teen through the 70s & I'm not nostalgic about it - simply put I haven't outgrown the music I dug from the era so don't look back at it warmly - I just continue with it.
Good song & sounds.

Maybe a little too much FX on the intro guitar.
Nice arrangement and playing.
I was a teen through the 70s & I'm not nostalgic about it - simply put I haven't outgrown the music I dug from the era so don't look back at it warmly - I just continue with it.
Good song & sounds.

Thanks! Yeah that was my first time playing with a real Leslie cabinet, so I really wanted to hear it in the intro. :) I was a child in the 70s, so my memories are more splintered and some more abstract, but it's a time that means something special to me.

---------- Update ----------

Very cool song. Love the mood.

Thanks so much for the listen and kind words.

So... Sounds good. Arrangement is beautiful. Sounds are rich and full.

My only nit is (me being a drummer) - it sounds like the cymbals, perhaps, are coming through the snare mic. All cymbal hits, except a very few, sound like they're coming dead-center, and maybe that's how you want it. I noticed it on the very first hard(ish) cymbal hit, and thought, "Man, I expected that to be more ambient". After analyzing the rest of the kit, it sounds like the kit itself is centered narrowly, while the FX provide a larger space (especially the toms. They *sound* like they're bigger than the rest of the kit, but I suspect they're not panned any wider).

Other than the cymbals... You've got a great sound going on. Thanks for sharing!

Man, what a great song. You've got a hell of a voice, and it's captured beautifully (IMO) in this tune. Nice, airy vocal sound. I also like how the different guitars and parts help transition the song from one part to the next. Really beautiful. I have no nits to pick.

First thing I noticed. I am a child of that era. Born in '59 did all my growing up then. We did not "take" cocaine. We did cocaine. You should fix that.

Maybe so, but there's no proof. I accept his description of 'taking' cocaine on the same grounds. There's no proof.

PoeticIntensity: Thanks man! To be honest, I hadn't even noticed that about the cymbals (not being a drummer). Drum panning has always been a mysterious thing to me. I actually tend to prefer mono drums because it sounds more natural to me. Anytime you're listening to drums being played (unless you're the drummer or standing very close to the drums), they sound mono, so the super wide panning of a kit always sounds pretty unnatural to me. I'm not saying I don't like it or don't ever do it, but it just doesn't sound natural to me.

Anorton: Thanks very much! I appreciate it.

Sky Blue Lou: That's a good point. It's too late for me to fix it now, but thanks for bringing it up. I can change it when I perform it live at least. It would make a good little song intro too --- how you schooled me on the proper terminology. :)

dobro: Hahaha ... I tend to think Lou is right, but thanks for having my back. :)

PoeticIntensity: Thanks man! To be honest, I hadn't even noticed that about the cymbals (not being a drummer). Drum panning has always been a mysterious thing to me. I actually tend to prefer mono drums because it sounds more natural to me. Anytime you're listening to drums being played (unless you're the drummer or standing very close to the drums), they sound mono, so the super wide panning of a kit always sounds pretty unnatural to me. I'm not saying I don't like it or don't ever do it, but it just doesn't sound natural to me.

Yup, I definitely get that. My first mixes use to result in drums spanning 100% wide. I even think I used stereo manipulation tools to get them wider than 100% a few times.

Now, I find that keeping my drums to 50% or less sounds better, or as you say, more "natural". I also use X/Y stereo mic'ing on my overheads because it results in a much tighter spread... So, yeah. I understand where you're coming from. But, still, I'm not gonna lie, hearing your cymbals come out direct-center was a bit of a eyebrow-raiser for me. They seemed more narrow than your toms, even. But other than that, it sounded awesome.

Maybe so, but there's no proof.

Proof of what ferphuxache? Nobody that used cocaine called it "taking cocaine". That would be like "taking marijuana". The only people who say it like that are people who never did it. If the narrator is a non-user, fine. If the narrator is supposed to be speaking from experience he's either making shit up or a complete dork. Get it? It comes across as phony to me.

I don't know... Maybe in some places people "take" or "took" cocaine. Not here or any place I've ever heard of.

ido1957: Ha! Yep, 43. I'm a nostalgic SOB, and I have many vivid memories of the 70s. Obviously, most of them are from the latter part of it, but I've often gone through all the family photos from that time and have always been struck by the colors and fashion of the era. Thanks for the kind listen and the kind words. Did your friend get some chicks with his TA, or was it all for not? :)

He bought it during the latter half of Grade 12 and we parted ways (as many do) after high school. That brown color was like blasphemy to the trans am lovers in my area. Anyway I never saw him with any girls for the short time after that, hard to say if he got any chicks. He's probably rich and fat but still pimply.

Back