millinocket

heatmiser

mr. green christmas
Hey - I threw this thing together this past weekend and have been fiddling with it since. This mix got away from me for a bit, but I think I have it dialed in better now. What do you think?

I tried a bunch of different stuff this time, and as is often the case when you try new stuff, I'm on the fence about it. I look to some of you folks to weigh in.

New, 04/04 mix with more sub and air plus guitar solo...not as punchy and clear though?

Thanks,
Pete

Last edited:
The cowbell (if that's what it is), seems a little too far forward and centered, maybe just panning it a little to one side would do it.

And to answer the final question, go north from Bangor! :D

This is very cool Pete. Not bad for throwing it together over the weekend. I really enjoyed it. Especially the break at the end, that was awesome. :)

On my system, the only feedback I could give is it sounded a tad muddy. A bit more air at the top (I am talking very little here) would seem to make the tune open up more.

Liked all of the textures in the background, kept it all interesting and fresh sounding. Wasn't too enthused about the vocals, a bit more variance would compliment the tune. Maybe a bit more push on the chorus, with a bit more feeling. Just thoughts, not nits.

Cool tune.

I thought it was cool man. Could use a little more thump in the drums and bass for sure. It sounds a little boxy or something. Maybe throw a low pass filter on everything lol. :listeningmusic:

Really liked it. Some really cool ideas - that's the most fun in writing, coming up with cool little layers to add to what's already going on. Great job

Really really cool song. Agree with DM sounds a little muddy somehow. Instruments could be separated a little more...but nonetheless very cool. Great job

The cowbell (if that's what it is), seems a little too far forward and centered, maybe just panning it a little to one side would do it.

And to answer the final question, go north from Bangor! :D

Yeah, that damn cowbell! It's been years since I did a tune with one in it. They just cut right through don't they?

And no, the answer is you can't get there from here :):

This is very cool Pete. Not bad for throwing it together over the weekend. I really enjoyed it. Especially the break at the end, that was awesome. :)

Thanks Trish. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for checking in.

On my system, the only feedback I could give is it sounded a tad muddy. A bit more air at the top (I am talking very little here) would seem to make the tune open up more.

Liked all of the textures in the background, kept it all interesting and fresh sounding. Wasn't too enthused about the vocals, a bit more variance would compliment the tune. Maybe a bit more push on the chorus, with a bit more feeling. Just thoughts, not nits.

Cool tune.

I thought I was battling mud in the first mix that I chose not to share. I did a lot of notches on various tracks since then and now it almost seems like it lacks some low end oomph or something. I suppose lacking in low end thump and being muddy are not necessarily mutually exclusive? I dunno. I'm confused by this mix for some reason.

I'm not super enthused by the vocals either. I tracked them at like 3am with little or no enthusiasm and it probably shows. I just wanted to wrap it up and felt that any singing at that point was sufficient.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I thought it was cool man. Could use a little more thump in the drums and bass for sure. It sounds a little boxy or something. Maybe throw a low pass filter on everything lol. :listeningmusic:

Thanks Phil. I would like nothing more than an excuse to turn up the kick and bass. I can hear them both clearly, but I too think there's maybe something missing down there. Never used a hi pass or lo pass filter before...sounds like just really extreme EQ?

Really liked it. Some really cool ideas - that's the most fun in writing, coming up with cool little layers to add to what's already going on. Great job

Thanks! Yes, that was pretty much what I wanted to feature here and what I enjoyed most about making this...adding layers as I went along. End results aside, this was one of the most fun tracks for me to assemble. I actually used an iPad run through some guitar pedals to create many of the sounds other than drums/bass/guitars & vocals. glad you enjoyed it.

Really really cool song. Agree with DM sounds a little muddy somehow. Instruments could be separated a little more...but nonetheless very cool. Great job

Thank you bruthish. I don't know what to do about separation here. I think I've gone through the normal panning, EQ, compression and level exercises I normally do and it sounds more or less the same to me, but I'd like it to sound better if I can...I'll think about it. Thanks again.

Good use of stereo.

I panned some things to the left, others to the right and still others more towards the center. :thumbs up:

Very cool - I'd like a little more snare snap & kick thud but that's minor - I enjoyed it. The bassy synth is cool.

Very cool - I'd like a little more snare snap & kick thud but that's minor - I enjoyed it. The bassy synth is cool.

Thanks ray. The bass is actually a bass guitar played through an auto wah. More thud - does seem to be some consensus there. Thanks again.

Cool tune.

Since it's there, I'll just steal and not have to type as much. A little breath on the top (8k shelf) and some thud in the kick (~60hz ~2.5Q ~+3dB)
Extremely cool song, Pete.

Yeah, that's the clobber. That's the racket. Nice.

The instrument that predominates in the gaps between the vocals (synth?) could be a taste brighter, maybe.

Doesn't anyone want to get to San Jose anymore?

I want to encourage you in the use of strings. I'm moving toward that too and I think it's major for people like us who like to get a bubbly/funky rhythm going.

Really like this one.

Pretty good - that cowbell pokes out a bit but the rest is good for me. 3am vocals? That's about the time I start waking up for work. lol

high pass, high pass!

That was pretty funny. :) Thanks for clarifying.

Since it's there, I'll just steal and not have to type as much. A little breath on the top (8k shelf) and some thud in the kick (~60hz ~2.5Q ~+3dB)
Extremely cool song, Pete.

Thanks. I'll try that. I was initially confused by what sounded like feedback stating on the one hand it was muddy, but on the other lacked low end thud and air. I guess in general terms maybe what I have here is a mix heavy in low mids, but lacking in both highs and real lows...is that about it? Thanks everyone for trying to help! :)

Yeah, that's the clobber. That's the racket. Nice.

The instrument that predominates in the gaps between the vocals (synth?) could be a taste brighter, maybe.

Doesn't anyone want to get to San Jose anymore?

I want to encourage you in the use of strings. I'm moving toward that too and I think it's major for people like us who like to get a bubbly/funky rhythm going.

Really like this one.

Lol @ clobber and racket...those don't sound positive, but you ended with "nice" so I'll assume they're good things. :)

Yes, I like some of these new sounds. I tried plugging the iPad output into my guitar amp and the strings sound sweet through that with the more lo fi representation coupled with the spring reverb. The possibilities are endless. Thanks for checking it out dobro.

Pretty good - that cowbell pokes out a bit but the rest is good for me. 3am vocals? That's about the time I start waking up for work. lol

Thanks ido. Yeah, you're right about the cowbell. I think I'll go back to avoiding those in the future. Sounds just right at some volumes and then sticks way the hell out at others.

I am a night owl to be sure. I wouldn't get up before noon if I didn't have to!

Hey, I think this is cool, and I like that you're using an ipad to get some interesting sounds mangled through. It means that there's lots of texture and stuff in your mixes at the moment and this is no exception. You've built up an interesting soundscape and to my ears, the most different thing you've done here is that everything sits in the mix (everything apart from the cowbell maybe?).

Normally you have things jumping out into the foreground here and there, but not on this - and I did kind find myself wanting to hear something with some presence breaking through at times and taking centre stage. Like some synth or guitar lead? I'd look at adding something here into the existing arrangement if it were me.

I guess in general terms maybe what I have here is a mix heavy in low mids, but lacking in both highs and real lows...is that about it?

Yes, I think that's exactly it :)

Hey, I think this is cool, and I like that you're using an ipad to get some interesting sounds mangled through. It means that there's lots of texture and stuff in your mixes at the moment and this is no exception. You've built up an interesting soundscape and to my ears, the most different thing you've done here is that everything sits in the mix (everything apart from the cowbell maybe?).

Normally you have things jumping out into the foreground here and there, but not on this - and I did kind find myself wanting to hear something with some presence breaking through at times and taking centre stage. Like some synth or guitar lead? I'd look at adding something here into the existing arrangement if it were me.

Thanks rob. That is very helpful. I was thinking the same thing yesterday...I hear lots of sounds in there that I think are cool, but there's so many of them that no one thing can be focused on at any time. I don't know that this is necessarily bad. I don't mind not having a featured thing, but I do kind of what something or things to come forward more at times...probably some of the synths. Like the mangled, delayed one...or there's a clav sound in there that could pop out more...I don't personally think there's much room for an entirely new element, but maybe I can work with what I have to feature something currently buried in there? There's about 20 tracks already, so surely something warrants center stage at least for a bit?

Yes, I think that's exactly it :)

Cool. Took me a while to understand. Odd that I'm not hearing it that way, but maybe I listened too much and rushed it. I heard it as fairly bright with plenty of kick and bass. There is consensus here though and you all have inspired me to go back and revisit it. I'll try to add more to the kick and bass...maybe you automation to bring some brighter "lead" elements forward at times, and maybe add a little high end back to the mix as a whole. I'm so shy about highs due to cheap Chinese condenser mic syndrome, but sometimes I probably overdo it trying to compensate.

I liked these sounds. I thought the song itself was very good.
What can I say, I’m probably better off sticking with the big picture!

Back