Lonely 'Gainst The Rail

I see a person leaning on the rail of a ferry twenty minutes after it's left the dock. There may or may not be a person or town being left behind one knot at a time.

yeah, that's cool. There's still a pause but it makes sense in terms of a note dying away before blowing the next one in. Harmonica sounds much smoother.
Good stuff!

Excellent, that's good to hear. Thanks a lot for your input ray :cool:

very nice piece, happy mixing

Thanks wjgypsy, very nice of you to say man :)

Nice tune, robgreen. If this was my mix, I'd be putting the EQ and compressor on the master bus to see if some gentle tweaks there made any positive difference. Endgame, in other words.

Thanks a lot dobro, glad it works for you. There is actually a tiny amount of compression on the master, but maybe room for some more? I don't often put anything there other than maybe a limiter as I'm wary of knocking things out of kilter by applying something to all. I'll have a play around with it. Cheers for your thoughts.

this new mix sounds better, especially the harmonica. guitar tones are better than i remember and panning the rain off center is better too.

so whats the story on the title?

Excellent, thanks for that Manslick - it seems like I'm pretty much there apart from a touch of polishing.

The title was something of a happy accident. I was a bit obsessed with Pavement during my teen years and early 20s - I was reading something about them and after they split and read that Bob Nastanovich from the band who did all the crazy shouting and percussion parts had become a horseracing writer and had set up a site by this name to publish his writings on - as in the rail of a racetrack. I thought it would be a great title for a song as it combined a bit of a homage to Pavement, but also the phrase itself had a certain wistfulness and sense of introspection like dobro alluded to. I kept it on the back burner for a few years until this one came along that suited.

Last week I googled it, and discovered that it was actually called 'Lonely On The Rail'. Turns out I'd mis-remembered it for all the years I'd been carrying it around in my head. On balance, I like my phrase a lot better and think it works better. However, I've no idea where the mutation occurred - particularly with the odd spelling of 'gainst...

Last edited:
interesting story Rob.
Nastanovich used to live across the street from Churchill Downs, a stones throw from my childhood home. in the pavement documentary -slow century, there is a scene in that house. im not a pavement fan and right now i cant remember how i came to have this dvd. the music in this dvd is hit or miss for me. when its good its great.
small world.

So much for the ferry fantasy. :laughings:

Yeah, I did feel kind of bad that I was shattering your ferry fantasy as I was typing. Sorry about that :laughings:

interesting story Rob.
Nastanovich used to live across the street from Churchill Downs, a stones throw from my childhood home. in the pavement documentary -slow century, there is a scene in that house. im not a pavement fan and right now i cant remember how i came to have this dvd. the music in this dvd is hit or miss for me. when its good its great.
small world.

That's cool, I haven't seen that doc for a while so maybe time to watch again. In a further 'Slow Century' link, I was actually at their Manchester show from 1999 that's on the dvd. Haven't seen myself during any of the footage though. That was a good week - saw the Flaming Lips on the monday and Pavement on the friday :D

Oh man,,, I can't wait to see the film that this tune could be used in!
I was totally gone, I love it!
Thanks Rob. :listeningmusic:

Eh, f*cking lucky you are. I've seen Flaming Lips, but hearing Pavement within the same few days. Overload. :D

I've definitely had worse weeks, that's for sure :D

Oh man,,, I can't wait to see the film that this tune could be used in!
I was totally gone, I love it!
Thanks Rob. :listeningmusic:

Wow, that's really flattering of you to say - thanks a lot jiff, I'm glad you liked.

A friend of mine runs a film production company - maybe time to see if a little nepotism gets me anywhere? ;)

Me too. You think the film might have a ferry in it? :thumbs up:

Definitely! I see a film featuring a person leaning on the rail of a ferry twenty minutes after it's left the dock. There may or may not be a person or town being left behind one knot at a time...

Hey rob... sorry, coming in late...

Apart from the fade thing already mentioned several times, if I could do one thing to your mix it would be to turn the feedback on the delayed guitar down a touch... it seems, in the open space, that the first delayed note is as loud as the original note, which is OK for the main, but I'm not liking it so much when you slide up to a note...

Maybe just have a fiddle with the feedback knob on a run through and see if you agree.

Vocals are very pitchy and out of time... I'm surprised you posted something like this up with such a glaring issue...:laughings:

But really, nice rainy day feel to this one... which, as it's a rainy day where I am, is perfect! Good stuff dude...:thumbs up:

Hey rob... sorry, coming in late...

Apart from the fade thing already mentioned several times, if I could do one thing to your mix it would be to turn the feedback on the delayed guitar down a touch... it seems, in the open space, that the first delayed note is as loud as the original note, which is OK for the main, but I'm not liking it so much when you slide up to a note...

Maybe just have a fiddle with the feedback knob on a run through and see if you agree.

Vocals are very pitchy and out of time... I'm surprised you posted something like this up with such a glaring issue...:laughings:

But really, nice rainy day feel to this one... which, as it's a rainy day where I am, is perfect! Good stuff dude...:thumbs up:

No worries on coming in late, thanks a lot for the listen and your thoughts Armistice :)

I hoped I'd sorted the fade out with the update, as it's just the natural tails of all the instruments in the mix now - nothing's artificially faded out any more.

I'll have a listen to the delay where you mention - I like how the previous note chimes in with the next one, but I'llhave a listen specifically for what you mention and see if I feel it clashes too.

Glad you liked the tune - there's a certain irony in finishing up such a rainy day tune during the best summer weather in a few years :D

Sounds like it could be used in a car commercial.......that's not bad, I like car commercial music.

Thanks a lot man. Funnily enough car commercial makers are the exact target demographic of my music. The working title of this was actually "Bluemotion Polo's are unrivalled for fuel economy"...but I changed it last minute :p

Sounds like it could be used in a car commercial.......that's not bad, I like car commercial music.

Wow, that's some high praise! :D

Really nice textures here, Rob. REALLY like a lot of the notes you picked on bass and the harmonica is sweet. Sounds like a few small changes in the sonics between v1 and v2.... not much I'd change at this point. The car driving by at the end's a real nice touch. Reminds me of something from Eno's Another Green World or David Sylvian's Gone to Earth. Really spare and emotive.

You guys have me remembering first hearing Pavement. A DJ at a local college radio station played a couple tunes from Slanted and Enchanted when it first came out and I immediately called up and was like "What was that song two-songs-back that sounded like the Pixies?" And he said, "Oh that was Pavement!" and I was like "The Cavemen??" and he said "No, PAVEMENT like you drive on." A couple months later they came through town and I went down to check em out. Malkmus was wearing a Drag City t-shirt and I remember thinking "WTF is Drag City??"

Wow, that's some high praise! :D

Really nice textures here, Rob. REALLY like a lot of the notes you picked on bass and the harmonica is sweet. Sounds like a few small changes in the sonics between v1 and v2.... not much I'd change at this point. The car driving by at the end's a real nice touch. Reminds me of something from Eno's Another Green World or David Sylvian's Gone to Earth. Really spare and emotive.

Thanks a lot for listening in fleet and really glad you liked. Yeah, I think main difference in v2 is the timing is tighter and the percussion sounds better. I really wanted to get good textures on this one and I'm really pleased with how the bass turned out, so nice to hear that cam through for you.

I'm not familiar with either of the references you've made, or actually much of either apart from their names. I see both are on Spotify, so I'll have a listen. Good to hear from you man. Thanks :thumbs up:

On Pavement, I can still remember the first time I heard them too. I was probably about 16 and bored in my dad's car waiting for my parents to finish shopping in some out of town retail park. Radio 1 was on and playing the usual forgettable chart crap, and Carrot Rope came on amongst it all. It was so different to all the monotony around it that I was instantly hooked...and so a beautiful love affair was born.

Back