Judy is a Punk! - Classic Ramones cover just for fun

The one you described as weird. "Please let me know what you think about this weird mix."

Doesn't sound weird to me. Sounds good.
Thanks. That "weird mix" comment was left over from when there was only one link in the OP. At the time, mix #1 was the "weird mix"

B Bop is cool.
I look forward to the vox.
I listened to Budgie's Never Turn Your Back On A Friend album last night and the stereo image is rather odd in head phones - sounds superb in a room & Breadfan simply burns. Snare is at about 1.30, bass & kick up the middle, toms where ever they fit for a given song, vocals often hard panned, guitars wander all over the place. Still sounds excellent.
U was watching/listening to a very ealr Ramones CBGBs gig. Wo, deeDee playing a danelectro short scale bass with his fingers didn't really work & Tommy, he wasn't a very happy chappy! Cool stuff though.

Yeah, that one's a classic. That was like gig #3 or something. Maybe Aug 1974? Very early show. They were hilariously bad in those first shows. They'd stop, and argue, and yell, and Johnny would punch Dee Dee, and do everything you're not supposed to do live. In his book, Johnny said that they'd film everything they could and would assess and tweak things until they landed on their formula. By 1975 they were the machine-like sonic and visual assault that would define them forever. Check out this "Arturo's loft" vid from early 75. They had it pretty much figured out by then. Arturo Vega was their art guy. He did their light shows, live backdrops, and designed the classic Ramones Seal logo. They lived in his loft for a while. He was with them from day one to the very end. And like just about everyone else in the most inner Ramones circle, he is no longer with us..

Supposedly, the Joey estate (Joey's brother) and Johnny estate (Johnny's wife - the girl he stole from Joey) have buried the hatchet and are now working together to release a whole big ass pile of unseen, unheard, unreleased stuff. Video, demos, pics, etc. And a Scorsese directed documentary about those early days is also supposedly underway. I look forward to all of that. I hope it happens.

I have the Arturo vid in my stash of Utub Ramones downloads.
It's cool as was Arturo's art.
I'm glad DeeDee picked up a plectrum!

Thanks. That "weird mix" comment was left over from when there was only one link in the OP. At the time, mix #1 was the "weird mix"

Yeah, that one's a classic. That was like gig #3 or something. Maybe Aug 1974? Very early show. They were hilariously bad in those first shows. They'd stop, and argue, and yell, and Johnny would punch Dee Dee, and do everything you're not supposed to do live. In his book, Johnny said that they'd film everything they could and would assess and tweak things until they landed on their formula. By 1975 they were the machine-like sonic and visual assault that would define them forever. Check out this "Arturo's loft" vid from early 75. They had it pretty much figured out by then. Arturo Vega was their art guy. He did their light shows, live backdrops, and designed the classic Ramones Seal logo. They lived in his loft for a while. He was with them from day one to the very end. And like just about everyone else in the most inner Ramones circle, he is no longer with us..

Supposedly, the Joey estate (Joey's brother) and Johnny estate (Johnny's wife - the girl he stole from Joey) have buried the hatchet and are now working together to release a whole big ass pile of unseen, unheard, unreleased stuff. Video, demos, pics, etc. And a Scorsese directed documentary about those early days is also supposedly underway. I look forward to all of that. I hope it happens.

I like the way they were a group. They learned how to be a group. That's the chief tease.

Opening for Beat (on) the Brat reminds me of the Beatles. It's not my fault.

What tune are they playing at the 14.00 min mark? What's it called? And what's the one after that called?

What tune are they playing at the 14.00 min mark? What's it called? And what's the one after that called?

During the 14 min mark they're halfway through "California Sun". A cover of The Rivieras mid 60s song.

After that..."Today Your Love, Tomorrow the World".

That song had some controversy. The lyrics are "I'm a nazi baby, I'm a nazi yes I am. I'm a nazi schatzie gonna fight for the fatherland". The head of Sire Records, Seymour Stein, being a Jew, didn't like that lyric. Joey Ramone, also being a Jew, sang it how it was written by Dee Dee, and army brat raised in Germany. Dee Dee even usually counted it off in German. Joey had no problem with it, he was the one that had to sing it, but the label hated it so that one line was changed for the album version to "I'm a shock trooper in a stupor yes I am". The rest was left alone. That altered lyric is on the album, but was never again sung by Joey. That song stayed in the live set from day one until the very end, and it was always "I'm a nazi baby, I'm a nazi yes I am".

During the 14 min mark they're halfway through "California Sun". A cover of The Rivieras mid 60s song.

After that..."Today Your Love, Tomorrow the World".

That song had some controversy. The lyrics are "I'm a nazi baby, I'm a nazi yes I am. I'm a nazi schatzie gonna fight for the fatherland". The head of Sire Records, Seymour Stein, being a Jew, didn't like that lyric. Joey Ramone, also being a Jew, sang it how it was written by Dee Dee, and army brat raised in Germany. Dee Dee even usually counted it off in German. Joey had no problem with it, he was the one that had to sing it, but the label hated it so that one line was changed for the album version to "I'm a shock trooper in a stupor yes I am". The rest was left alone. That altered lyric is on the album, but was never again sung by Joey. That song stayed in the live set from day one until the very end, and it was always "I'm a nazi baby, I'm a nazi yes I am".

Shock Trooper...Nazi... meh.

Do it with a black, never look back
Do it with a Jew, learn how to screw

If you ever covered a jj cale song, wouldn't you tend toward the relaxed vibe he sang it with?

Shock Trooper...Nazi... meh.

Do it with a black, never look back
Do it with a Jew, learn how to screw

If you ever covered a jj cale song, wouldn't you tend toward the relaxed vibe he sang it with?

No, relaxed vibe isn't my kind of thing.

No, I've only got 'The Ramones' and that tune isn't on it. For some reason, it just jumped out of the video at me when I was watching it. It sounds crazy to say it of a band like that, but it seemed to me they really hit their stride on that one. "We was just warming up till now."

Live 1992-ish...in Germany!

Wow! I never expected to see them like that. Long hair, heavy-metal-ish stance/poses, swinging the head around to get the hair flying. It looks "anti-punk" to me.

No, I've only got 'The Ramones' and that tune isn't on it. For some reason, it just jumped out of the video at me when I was watching it. It sounds crazy to say it of a band like that, but it seemed to me they really hit their stride on that one. "We was just warming up till now."
That song is on their 2nd album "Leave Home". My personal favorite Ramones album. That album gets an official Greg seal of approval. :thumbs up:

Wow! I never expected to see them like that. Long hair, heavy-metal-ish stance/poses, swinging the head around to get the hair flying. It looks "anti-punk" to me.
The long hair and poses were always there. The Ramones went through a personality crisis in the early 80s, and by 1984 they got a little angrier, and darker. They never considered themselves a "punk" band to begin with. They fought tooth and nail to NOT be lumped in with shit like the Sex Pistols and the noise junk of LA. They actually wanted to be commercially successful. The first 4 albums are incredible, but didn't sell. The next 3 early 80s albums were slick and polished and way too poppy, but didn't sell either. By the mid 80s the damage had been done, they said fuck it, and decided to just do whatever they wanted to do. They got mad. They wanted to show all those up and coming punk bands who the bosses still were. 1984's "Too Tough To Die" was the beginning of them getting a little heavier, and much faster. That was the turning point from the lighter, more fun Ramones into the darker times.

The long hair and poses were always there. The Ramones went through a personality crisis in the early 80s, and by 1984 they got a little angrier, and darker. They never considered themselves a "punk" band to begin with. They fought tooth and nail to NOT be lumped in with shit like the Sex Pistols and the noise junk of LA. They actually wanted to be commercially successful. The first 4 albums are incredible, but didn't sell. The next 3 early 80s albums were slick and polished and way too poppy, but didn't sell either. By the mid 80s the damage had been done, they said fuck it, and decided to just do whatever they wanted to do. They got mad. They wanted to show all those up and coming punk bands who the bosses still were. 1984's "Too Tough To Die" was the beginning of them getting a little heavier, and much faster. That was the turning point from the lighter, more fun Ramones into the darker times.
Cool. It's pretty cool how every band has their back-story that only the real fans of that band are aware of. I actually really dug that video, it was a lot rockier than I ever remember them. It was actually very cool.

Cool. It's pretty cool how every band has their back-story that only the real fans of that band are aware of. I actually really dug that video, it was a lot rockier than I ever remember them. It was actually very cool.

Yeah I actually like the later Ramones stuff. But then again, I'm an unapologetic fanboy, so it's almost all good to me. Those mid/late 80s albums are not their best work by any stretch, but even on those darker albums, their early identity still pops through on many of the songs.

You might really like their later stuff. It's very "rock", less silly punk. They got the early/late blend right towards the end of their career. I think 1992's "Mondo Bizarro" is a good late Ramones album. Really good production, hard edged rock songs with their real identity still intact.

I'm beginning to think that Joey Ramone and Howard Stern are the same dude.

Never seen them in the same room together.......hhhhmmmmm......:eek:

I hate to tell you this, and I'm glad I can tell you over the internet, because you'd probably knock my teeth out if I told you in person....but, the "I can't wait" part in that tune is the same melody as part of "Imagine" by John Lennon" "I hope some day, etc.......".

:D

I hate to tell you this, and I'm glad I can tell you over the internet, because you'd probably knock my teeth out if I told you in person....but, the "I can't wait" part in that tune is the same melody as part of "Imagine" by John Lennon" "I hope some day, etc.......".

:D

Haha, that doesn't bother me. It's also almost dead-nuts the same melody as the chorus in The Misfits' "I Turned Into a Martian", which is a great song to me, so I just think of it like that and be okay with it. :D

I really enjoyed Mondo.
My personal shudder moment with the ramones was when I saw them at the Enmore in Sydney & Joey was wearing lycra pants.
The gig was quite fine - I ran into my sister in the lobby. The support was awful though Rat Cat - a Sydney band who tried too hard to be pop punk - more clothes style than sound.
But LYCRA?
When animosity made great pop...

Back