Fables - Rock/Alternative

Sometimes it helps to "duck" the signals. If you side chain compress the bass guitar from the kick signal, (1ms attack ~250 release 3-4:1 ratio set threshold to taste) the bass still sounds natural and the kick shines through better. Ducking the guitars from the vocal signal will do the same, but you'll want a slower attack and quicker drop off (3-10 or maybe more ms attack, 100-200, or even less release). These are settings I use WHERE NECESSARY. Nothing is guideline or set in stone...
There are leveling compressors, which bring the quiet notes up while leaving the hot hits alone. You need to use a regular compressor afterward (or before), because it basically just lets loud through and doesn't care about clipping or whatever. The one I use is called Sellig Leveler, but of course it's an RE, and I don't know if it's available in AAX or whatever.
One of the hardest lessens I've learned is to not over do things. It's fine to run a glue compressor at 1.1:1 into a leveler to bring up the bottoms, and then into a C1-L1 to pull the top down and still have a final compressor and limiter on the main bus, but getting them all to play "nice" takes a lot of patience and (at least for me) a bit of finesse. The first comment I used to get on ALL my mixes was "overcompressed". But yeah, I've learned to use volume instead of compressor and just put a glue compressor on the vocal bus or the drum bus or whatever just to keep the clipping out.

That's some good information, thanks!

I've not got into using side chains as yet. Something new to mess around with!

Can't find track?

Got that on both links

BTW update your original post with the new mix. That's what gets clicked on

I think I'm nearly there. I EQed the vocals and I think they cut through a lot better. I'm not sure if I can hear some clipping in a couple of places, and it sounds a bit like the music is lower when the vocals are present, I'm not sure if it's a compression issue or the vocals are over powering the mix? I'd appreciate some insight? Thanks again.

Last edited:
I didn't hear any clipping (I heard something towards the end, but couldn't see the counter) . My only negative is the vocal is just a tad harsh at what I assume is around the 2-3K range. Wait for others to comment but if confirmed, you could probably reduce some in that area.

Still, good tune and mix overall.

I'm in cans (not Cannes :)) cause the missus is asleep: The ride on the L is just a tad loud and distracting out there all by itself...possibly bringing it in a bit will cure both. The last note before the quiet at the end is clipped. Maybe what Dave referred to... Deep tom or Bass drum hit at 4:45 also clips. It could be the same drum clipping in both places. It also hits right at the end during the fade, but doesn't clip there...
The mix is awesome. Your voice is coming through very well without drowning out the rest. There's a bit of what sounds like limiter ducking going on, but negligible. Are you using a limiter? It may be pushing too hard. Would cause the vocal harshness and push the music down. Or, at least, that's what happens to my mixes when I over limit...limiters are my new focus. Trying to get where I can get a mix to sound good and not change when I hit the limiter...:)

Thanks guys, those are some positive words. I appreciate it. I think I've fixed the drum clipping issue. And I've looked at the vocals a bit more.

I'm not sure what Limiter Ducking is. I notice the issue on my iPhone: the vocals seem to over power the mix and the rest of the music is pushed down. I've never had it before and I don't know what's causing it. I've decreased the limiting and the gain, and there's not a lot of compression.

It's most noticeable at 2:45 'A mind off the rails', but only really on iPhone. Maybe there's a volume peak there or something and the speakers can't handle it?

Updated here and in the original post.

That plays well on my HPs.

Vocal harshness is gone. Could use a a bit of high end (not sure if you made the 2-3K cut, but you could add some of it back). But really for me it is just a tweak and unless I was going after something else, wouldn't alter it just for that.

Overall, I think it is in good shape.

Sweet. I think the ending volume is a tad low, so I'll sort that out and I think that's it! Finally!

I'll post it when I get time to finish it, thanks for all your help guys!

That cymbal on the left in the quieter part of the intro sounded OK. Then the rest of them sounded swishy. There is an unnaturally wide spread in the cymbals. I thought the kick was quite a bit too loud.

The guitar in the intro sounded pretty good. Clean guitars in general sound good. Doubled crunch guitar sounded a little indistinct and undefined.

Bass was a little sterile. Missing low-midrange.

Vocalist has a nice voice. But there is a harshness to it. You might be able to notch out something in the mid-2Ks.

Harmony vocals would be a nice touch.

Thanks. I've already done the mid range notch. I think that he was moving a little close to the mike during recording, which is causing some harshness at times, perhaps it's nearly clipping at points because of this. I'm not sure what I can do about that except learn from it for next time!

I think in terms of the mix I think I'm done. I appreciate the advice though so I'll give it a couple of days and reasses the kick.

Many thanks.

This is it. I'm done with it. What will be will be! Lowered the kick a little, I agree it was a bit loud, and I sorted out the ending volume.

Thanks again. :)

Still listening on HPs. I really like the bottom end on this much better than before. Since I am listening on HPs, can't tell if there is any boomyness going on.

I think you have a keeper. You should be pretty happy with this mix.

Thanks a lot. The only thing is getting the ending right when it transitions into the outro. But otherwise I'm more or less happy. :)

Back