Ex-Something, new tune

I listened to version 4 and love it. What a sweet voice you have. I think the harmonies really make this song work.

Not sure about the chorus effect on the guitars. Dobro mentioned pulling down the low mids on the guitars and I think that's good advice.

This song has tons of potential. Once you get comfortable recording and getting consistent results that you're happy with, you'll probably want to start working on arrangements. I think this is what Heat was referring to. Try experimenting beyond the strummed guitar, you'll take your songwriting skills to the next level. :)

And don't forget, there are many people here who will be willing to contribute parts to your songs. I've had the pleasure of collabs with people from Germany, Brazil and several from right here in the US. It's a lot of fun and you learn how others go through their process.

Great song, thanks for sharing!!! :)

Woah it's 1994 again and I'm flipping through records at a college station at a school I don't attend. The station manager looks at me disapprovingly. She's seen me around but knows I don't have a show. "I'm a friend of D___'s," I say sheepishly, "She asked me to grab these Softies and Barbara Manning 7"'s." I grab a Marine Girls album while I'm at it and skedaddle outta there before she can call campus security. She won't though. I've pulled this shit before. She knows I always bring them back.

Am I right to say an electric guitar has a range between 80Hz and 1200hz? So when you advise me to bring down the mid to low, that would be reducing the db in the middle of this number range and slightly below? I can hear the biggest difference when I lower the freq around 500hz, I think this makes sense or not?

I listened to version 4 and love it. What a sweet voice you have. I think the harmonies really make this song work.

Not sure about the chorus effect on the guitars. Dobro mentioned pulling down the low mids on the guitars and I think that's good advice.

This song has tons of potential. Once you get comfortable recording and getting consistent results that you're happy with, you'll probably want to start working on arrangements. I think this is what Heat was referring to. Try experimenting beyond the strummed guitar, you'll take your songwriting skills to the next level. :)

And don't forget, there are many people here who will be willing to contribute parts to your songs. I've had the pleasure of collabs with people from Germany, Brazil and several from right here in the US. It's a lot of fun and you learn how others go through their process.

Great song, thanks for sharing!!! :)

Cool, thanks heaps Chilli. I look forward to the next level, especially if it means getting to work with the talent on here. For now I'd be happy just to understand all the things I need to do to make it sound better. :)

Woah it's 1994 again and I'm flipping through records at a college station at a school I don't attend. The station manager looks at me disapprovingly. She's seen me around but knows I don't have a show. "I'm a friend of D___'s," I say sheepishly, "She asked me to grab these Softies and Barbara Manning 7"'s." I grab a Marine Girls album while I'm at it and skedaddle outta there before she can call campus security. She won't though. I've pulled this shit before. She knows I always bring them back.

Classic reply. 1994 was a good year. Marine Girls kick ass.

I'll get the acoustic out again and try something with that. I miss that simple bastard anyway.

Have you done it yet? (the acoustic I mean! :facepalm:)

I really like this & have been waiting for it,, the new vox sound much better, but agree on the gtr,

looking forward to the accoustic to better hear the beauty of it! :thumbs up:

version 4 is better tho!

Last edited:
I think it's refreshing to hear a soft simple song done without the typical standard cliche acoustic guitar folking it all up. Good choice on the electrics. IMO, not using an acoustic gave this just the little bit of something different that it needs to not be just like every other girl song. I am a true-blue chorus hater, but I don't mind it on this one. I wouldn't mind hearing no chorus either, but what you have is tolerable to me. I also like the short length of it. You say what you say and get it done without a bunch of extra unnecessary stuff. This is far from my kind of music, but it was an easy listen and I enjoyed it overall. I think the new mix is fine. I think the song is sparse and simple enough that you don't need to nitpick the mix to death. I could hear everything, nothing sounded terribly bad, so I'd say leave it be. Well done.

I think it's refreshing to hear a soft simple song done without the typical standard cliche acoustic guitar folking it all up. Good choice on the electrics. IMO, not using an acoustic gave this just the little bit of something different that it needs to not be just like every other girl song. I am a true-blue chorus hater, but I don't mind it on this one. I wouldn't mind hearing no chorus either, but what you have is tolerable to me. I also like the short length of it. You say what you say and get it done without a bunch of extra unnecessary stuff. This is far from my kind of music, but it was an easy listen and I enjoyed it overall. I think the new mix is fine. I think the song is sparse and simple enough that you don't need to nitpick the mix to death. I could hear everything, nothing sounded terribly bad, so I'd say leave it be. Well done.

Thanks Greg, really appreciate this feedback. I'm glad you said this was not a 'folking' cliche. :D Phew. I think I am done with this song. I loved it, hated it, learned a lot. I did try the acoustic but the simple fact is, I'm distracted by a new idea. :)

I listened to your latest version of the song and I love the sparseness and simplicity of it. Less equals more in his situation.
Like Chili says, there are lots of people that will collaborate and help filling out the song. I played a guitar solo track for Chili a few years ago that was on his Album 'Gravity' and I get compliments about it often.
Great song and vocal frits!

I listened to your latest version of the song and I love the sparseness and simplicity of it. Less equals more in his situation.
Like Chili says, there are lots of people that will collaborate and help filling out the song. I played a guitar solo track for Chili a few years ago that was on his Album 'Gravity' and I get compliments about it often.
Great song and vocal frits!

Thanks a lot, it does a lot for my motivation to hear comments like this. :)

Hey Frits - I had a listen to this yesterday. Just getting round to commenting! I liked it - a nice simple song, interesting melody and subject matter (I don't really take notice of lyrics, but picked up some of the meaning). I like your voice very much, I'm trying to pick out the accent - not sure if you are English or just sing that way, I though I heard a bit of American accent in there as well, but we English do tend to sing with an American accent?!?! It kind of reminded me of Nerina Pallot when I saw her do an acoustic set before she was famous - hope that's not an insult to you!

Were you to continue with this, I'd suggest adding something in the third verse, maybe some harmony and/or more instrumentation. It gets kind of samey by then, but then I realise you were experimenting on improving your tracking and are keen to move onto the next thing - no bad thing, if you ask me - I've found that each new project I work on there is a distinct improvement as I assimilate what I learned from the last one; and often by the time you get to a certain stage with a song you can be kind of sick of it and the energy you've put into getting to the standard it is means you can lack motivation and/or inspiration to take it any further. I find that the next project runs a lot smoother so I can concentrate on a different aspect - I guess it's the same with the learning curve of all disciplines.

Hey Frits - I had a listen to this yesterday. Just getting round to commenting! I liked it - a nice simple song, interesting melody and subject matter (I don't really take notice of lyrics, but picked up some of the meaning). I like your voice very much, I'm trying to pick out the accent - not sure if you are English or just sing that way, I though I heard a bit of American accent in there as well, but we English do tend to sing with an American accent?!?! It kind of reminded me of Nerina Pallot when I saw her do an acoustic set before she was famous - hope that's not an insult to you!

Were you to continue with this, I'd suggest adding something in the third verse, maybe some harmony and/or more instrumentation. It gets kind of samey by then, but then I realise you were experimenting on improving your tracking and are keen to move onto the next thing - no bad thing, if you ask me - I've found that each new project I work on there is a distinct improvement as I assimilate what I learned from the last one; and often by the time you get to a certain stage with a song you can be kind of sick of it and the energy you've put into getting to the standard it is means you can lack motivation and/or inspiration to take it any further. I find that the next project runs a lot smoother so I can concentrate on a different aspect - I guess it's the same with the learning curve of all disciplines.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and reply Jonny. I have 3 accents: Dutch/Kiwi/English. We moved a lot. :) I hadn't heard Nerina before but had a quick listen. She's got an amazing voice.

Thanks for your other feedback, I agree with you, if I'd had the energy I would have tried to stretch it out a bit more, and that might have been quite nice. Maybe taken it to a verse of Mary had a Little Lamb or something. :D

I'm at the back of the queue with this one. Late on the uptake!

I really enjoyed the song. Loved the harmonies. Your vocals on this remind me of Kimya Dawson (Mouldy Peaches) - That's a compliment!

I'll be interested to hear your music in 5 years time..... :thumbs up:

I'm at the back of the queue with this one. Late on the uptake!

I really enjoyed the song. Loved the harmonies. Your vocals on this remind me of Kimya Dawson (Mouldy Peaches) - That's a compliment!

I'll be interested to hear your music in 5 years time..... :thumbs up:

Thanks heaps for checking it out Mr Clean, cool you enjoyed it. Kimya Dawson is really awesome. I didn't even know her. Look at her egg cartons. :D

egg cartons.jpg

Not a huge fan of the chorusy thing either, although by the end of tune I was quite used to it. I wouldn't do acoustic however, I'd stick with electric, it's that sort of song. Mebbe just dial down the effects a little.

It's a good song... the additional vocals make it for mine - that sing-songy effect. Very nice.

The very first sung note is a bit buried - I'd turn that up a bit. Rest is at a good level.

Production suggestion - mute everything except the voice until the word "Stood" in the second line. You'll hate it because it would be just your voice up to that point, but I reckon it would work. I know you're sick of it but keep the suggestion for when you're putting your album together...

What makes you different is the slighly tremorous, "not quite confident" tone of your voice, without sounding like the husky little girl lost that a lot of the acoustic strumming girlies do, and which I hate... use that quality, I say.

Thumbs up from me. You've come a way since we first heard you. Keep it up!:)

Not a huge fan of the chorusy thing either, although by the end of tune I was quite used to it. I wouldn't do acoustic however, I'd stick with electric, it's that sort of song. Mebbe just dial down the effects a little.

It's a good song... the additional vocals make it for mine - that sing-songy effect. Very nice.

The very first sung note is a bit buried - I'd turn that up a bit. Rest is at a good level.

Production suggestion - mute everything except the voice until the word "Stood" in the second line. You'll hate it because it would be just your voice up to that point, but I reckon it would work. I know you're sick of it but keep the suggestion for when you're putting your album together...

What makes you different is the slighly tremorous, "not quite confident" tone of your voice, without sounding like the husky little girl lost that a lot of the acoustic strumming girlies do, and which I hate... use that quality, I say.

Thumbs up from me. You've come a way since we first heard you. Keep it up!:)

Cool, I've come a way, that's really good to hear. Thanks a lot for your input which has been invaluable to me since day one, I'll definitely keep those ideas in mind for when I go back to it.

I hate those type of singer chicks as well. Aww, shame, there's no vomit emoticon... Anyway, it's always a relief to hear my voice is different to that!

Thanks again for checking it out Armistice. :)

Well done on v4 Frits - ambient mouth smack noises seem to have been addressed and it all sounds done to m

...and while we're comparing you to every female singer/female fronted band going, it made me think about a song I used to love when I was about 15 and probably haven't heard for about 10-12 years > Thief by Belly. I had to dig it out on youtube and it took me on a nice little emotional reminisce down memory lane - so thanks for the inadvertant prompt also :D

Well done on v4 Frits - ambient mouth smack noises seem to have been addressed and it all sounds done to m

...and while we're comparing you to every female singer/female fronted band going, it made me think about a song I used to love when I was about 15 and probably haven't heard for about 10-12 years > Thief by Belly. I had to dig it out on youtube and it took me on a nice little emotional reminisce down memory lane - so thanks for the inadvertant prompt also :D

That's awesome, thanks for having another listen. Think it made a big improvement to to STEP AWAY FROM THE MIC, as you suggested, so cheers for that. :)

Cool you mentioned that about Belly, took me down memory lane too. I used to love Gepetto & I recognised the one you linked to too. Tanya Donelly's got such a shit hot voice.

Back