A different kind of mix contest III

guitarhunny

I am offering up my first collaboration experience for all to mix. I will be using this song on my upcoming CD release in June or July and will add the winning mixer's name to the credits of this song. I have posted a zip file with the raw tracks on it at NL5's place. I'm not exactly sure how to post the link so if someone would help me out there, we could get this thing started.

This song is called "Again".

Should we have some judges or do you want me to have full disclosure? Possibly both?

HAPPY MIXING!

Hmmmm.... that bass track needs to be replaced -- it's seriously out of tune, and the bass player started wandering-off doing their own thing about 3/4 quarters the way thru the song! (he had a different song cut-in in the cans during tracking maybe???) ;)

Maybe that was a scratch track that got posted instead of the real one?

I'm not even sure it can be edited into place because there's a complete descension missing from the chorus everywhere (ie, there's no complete phrase for it that I can stitch together!)..... are we allowed to re-track, or is there a "no producing" rule in this one?

Blue Bear Sound said:
Hmmmm.... that bass track needs to be replaced -- it's seriously out of tune, and the bass player started wandering-off doing their own thing about 3/4 quarters the way thru the song! (he had a different song cut-in in the cans during tracking maybe???) ;)

Maybe that was a scratch track that got posted instead of the real one?

I'm not even sure it can be edited into place because there's a complete descension missing from the chorus everywhere (ie, there's no complete phrase for it that I can stitch together!)..... are we allowed to re-track, or is there a "no producing" rule in this one?
Bruce, that was my bass line. I am going to retrack it and get it posted. I am not sure what happened there. I think maybe her guitar tracks were redone and this was done off a scratch. Plus I converted and mp3 to mono wave to load into my MR-8, so it probably had something to do with it. Anyway, give me two days, and I'll retrack the bass properly.

guitarhunny said:
Thanks for joining in Blue Bear. I'm always impressed with what you do!
Two more days, i will have that bass retracked properly. It will come out much nicer now that I can load the wave files on my MR-8 instead of trying to load the mp3... :)

Rokket said:
Two more days, i will have that bass retracked properly. It will come out much nicer now that I can load the wave files on my MR-8 instead of trying to load the mp3... :)

Sounds Great! I'm amazed at your devotion on this little song of mine. Thanks for being so fantastic!

guitarhunny said:
Sounds Great! I'm amazed at your devotion on this little song of mine. Thanks for being so fantastic!
That's me. I hate to leave things unfinished. Once I start, I see it through.

guitarhunny said:
They should be a stereo pair. Maybe Bentrabbit should listen and make sure I posted them correct.

Not sure what happened... Both tracks seemed to be pretty close to straight up center pan...

I redid them and included another zip file of just the stereo drums, this time with the proper panning... Should just plug right into the existing waves...

Aren't collabs fun! :D

http://www.nlrstudio.com/mp3/collab/againdrums.zip

BentRabbit said:
Not sure what happened... Both tracks seemed to be pretty close to straight up center pan...

I redid them and included another zip file of just the stereo drums, this time with the proper panning... Should just plug right into the existing waves...

Aren't collabs fun! :D

http://www.nlrstudio.com/mp3/collab/againdrums.zip
OK, the new bass track is done and it's in the collab folder, titled "Again New Bass"...

If this one doesn't fit, I am going to shoot my fret hand! Kidding.

Hey Rabbit, can you pull all that stuff down and put up just one folder with all the new drum and bass tracks in it with her guitar and vocal?

Here is a real quick mix I put together. It's far from perfect and I'm a little tired, but I wanted to see how the bass is going to sound. I may have gotten the vocals a bit too low...

Rokket said:
Here is a real quick mix I put together. It's far from perfect and I'm a little tired, but I wanted to see how the bass is going to sound. I may have gotten the vocals a bit too low...

The bass is a little too loud, but sounds good. The reverb/effect on the vocal makes it sound kind of boxy and metallic. It could be a bit more up front, too. Other than that, it sounds pretty good.

scrubs said:
The bass is a little too loud, but sounds good. The reverb/effect on the vocal makes it sound kind of boxy and metallic. It could be a bit more up front, too. Other than that, it sounds pretty good.
I brought it out to make sure it was in tune! I am still working on it, I just got tired, and I make stupid mistakes when I am tired. There is not much reverb on the vocals at all.... Just washed the entire track in a medium hall setting that I could dial down a bit...
Thanks!

Back to work on it tomorrow...

Rokket said:
OK, the new bass track is done and it's in the collab folder, titled "Again New Bass"...

If this one doesn't fit, I am going to shoot my fret hand! Kidding.

Hey Rabbit, can you pull all that stuff down and put up just one folder with all the new drum and bass tracks in it with her guitar and vocal?
What's the URL?

Back