• No I think its silly

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I may do it if others decide to do it

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Bruthish

Hair Metal Roxx!
Contest thread - brown eyed girl

From my view, doing is learning. You have a task/challenge in front of you and you do whatever it takes to complete that task forcing you to learn new things and better ways of doing them.

This may have been done before but here goes.

RULES:

Anyone can enter, novice to veteran.

The Song is Van Morrison "Brown Eyed Girl"

Single artists or a combination of two artists are allowed.

Each artist will have 30 days to complete their own mix of the song the best they can. It does NOT have to sound like the original, it can be done in the artist's own style. For example, if its a rock song, the artist can do it in country, classical, jazz, or whatever as long as the structure is the same, and it can be easily recognized as being that same song.

Once the 30 days are up, APRIL 5th, 2015 the songs will be posted and the members can vote for the version they like the most judged on mix, style, tones, arrangement, and whatever else.

Winner wins pride and bragging rights, losers learn from their mistakes and do better next time.

Only need a minimum of 2 to play, but the more the better. Could be a lot of fun and a lot of learning.

Last edited:
No problem with the thread or contest. I've thought about hosting something like this myself.

Good luck, have fun. Hope you get participants.

Yeah, I'm good with this. If it's a kind of mix contest, it's been done many times. I've put up tracks to a few my songs in the past, as have a few other members.

Besides mix contests, I think a few people did a "Challenge" thread just a month or so ago.

I figured with as long as this board as been up that it has probably been done a lot.

I figured for the first song selection to make it fairly random and fair, someone can give me a number between 1-10 and and I will play pandora classic rock channel and whatever song comes up in that number slot will be the song. Then whomever wins, can choose the genre for the second round if there is interest.

And as for the contest I think teh "Mix" should play a big part of judging but I think creativity should be factored in too.

The Hallelujah guy wanted it to be a 'who can sing it like the Jeff Buckley version the best' contest, but most people were into the versions that didn't sound like that version and it seemed to annoy him, IIRC.

The Hallelujah guy wanted it to be a 'who can sing it like the Jeff Buckley version the best' contest, but most people were into the versions that didn't sound like that version and it seemed to annoy him, IIRC.
EVERYTHING used to annoy that specimen. He'd always name a band that he wished he sounded like and post songs and say something like "Here's a song that sounds exactly like Pink Floyd....", and then when people would say it sounds nothing like "Insert band name here", he'd get all hissy and fuck off. Lol.

EVERYTHING used to annoy that specimen. He'd always name a band that he wished he sounded like and post songs and say something like "Here's a song that sounds exactly like Pink Floyd....", and then when people would say it sounds nothing like "Insert band name here", he'd get all hissy and fuck off. Lol.

Haha, were they the same user? Luke something or other.

I remember him and that contest. That guy, Luke?, getting all pissy about it was one the funniest times around here.

What most amazed me was taking the challenge not even having heard the song, and posting a complete work of art (complete meaning bass/drums/guitar parts/vocals all done with flair, excellence and a huge twist of humor) 10 days later.

What most amazed me was taking the challenge not even having heard the song, and posting a complete work of art (complete meaning bass/drums/guitar parts/vocals all done with flair, excellence and a huge twist of humor) 10 days later.

Yeah, Greg tore that song a new one!

Lol. Thanks yall.

I glanced back through that thread and I remember jonny's version being kick ass too. And also all the good meltdown freakout stuff got removed.

Back