Been a while! Here's a Beatles cover.

R

RAMI

Hey guys. :)

A friend of mine gave me a piano with a few other sounds in it. So, I wanted to record something with it and I figured I'd start with a cover.

It's an 88-key with weighted keys. So it's actually fun to play and has a pretty good grand piano sound. It also has a harpsichord sound in it, so I foolishly decided to learn the solo in this tune. I ended up laying it down, but it took a lot of practice. And I had to do it with 2 hands. :)

Let me know how the balance is. I just finished recording and mixing the drums, so they might be too loud...or not. I'm not sure.

IN MY LIFE (Beatles cover)

Where you been man?

Heading out to waste away my last night before I turn 45. Be back later and probably a bit fuzzed to listen. :drunk:

Pretty slick man. I dig the harpsichord section. Good harmonies too. I expected no less.

Awesome! Rami is back!

I don't really know the song so I'm listening with no preconceived beatles notions. I think the vocals, guitars, and bass sound absolutely incredible. Your vocals always stand out to me, and this might be your best yet. So clean and smooth and the harmonies are performed awesomely. The guitars are clean and sparkly without killing my ears. I'm not crazy about the snare. I usually like your tight "pop" snare sound, but I'm not crazy about it on this one. I think a fatter tone would suit the song better. It also sounds a little distant compared to the kick and that ride pattern that jumps out from the left. Maybe bring in more snare close mic if you used one and EQ it for more body and fat. I don't know about that harpsichord thing. You played it very well, but it's sound is kind of Casio-ish to me. Maybe that's how the original goes, I don't know. Maybe it needs more space. It's pretty dry and up front. I think hanging some bigger reverb on it might help soften it up some. These are just personal preferences though. Overall I think it's a really good mix, and it's great to see you in here again. :)

Nice job, great vocals. That almost sounds like a piccolo snare ? Did you do something different ?

Fun tune, enjoyed the listen.

Nice to have you back. Wow, DavidK and Rami both returning in the same week. :cool: Cool.

I would never have guessed in a million years you would cover this tune. All is good except the snare. It stuck out of the mix to me as well. I think the drums as a whole sound better than anything Ringo could hav done, but I agree with Greg about needing to have more substance with the snare. Your snare sounds are pretty high to begin with, this one seems above the usual. Ha, but I'm also guessing you aren't going to retune the snare and retrack. LOL.

None the less, enjoyed it. enjoyed the vocals, harmonies. It sounds like a challenging song to sing and you got it down. I mean, who woulda guessed, John, Paul and Rami??? :D

Hey thanx guys. Good to see you guys again. :)

I'll listen again to the snare in a few days. I did put on a brand new skin just before tracking and maybe I tuned it too high. But I thought it was a similar sound to the original. Ringo actually has a pretty poppy snare for this tune. But I might have to put some bottom into mine.

I never would have thought to cover this tune either. If someone didn't give me a keyboard, I never would have covered this. But as soon as I played it with the harpsichord sound, this was the first tune that pooped into my head (funny thing is, it's just a piano on the original, but George Martin slowed the tape down to half-speed to do the solo, and then sped it back up again, so it sounds like a cross between a piano and a harpsichord). At least I did it at normal speed . :D

I'll revisit the mix in a few days and if I have to re-track the drums, it will literally take me 2:56 to do it, so I'm not adverse to re-tracking.

Thanx for the help so far.

It's too intense. Check the snare.

Harpsichord yes!

I admire the chord changes, too. Cut the last 'my life' 2 dB. You're welcome.

Welcome back RAMI. Nice to hear something new/old/borrowed from you. Very nice cover. Love the harpsi.....

I have nothing to add to all of the above but I agree with the snare comments. A touch more volume and 'Snare' rattle would be ace.

Top job, well done. :thumbs up:

The sanre sound is a little pop py but also I notice that in some passages you seemed to wander in terms of your target on the snare and the tone changed - seemingly randomly.
THis is one of the Beatles songs I like - not usually a big fans beyond Harrison & Lennon solo stuff.
You did it well.
I think Greg's suggestion about more reverb on the solo might be good - either that or EQ it to be a bit more toppy/aggressive - harpsicords, as plucking instruments, have a greater attack than the sample with this machine.
Excellent to hear you agin.
Now if Greg & Joe throw in a tune this week it'll be 2011 all over again.
Side bar --- did you get the CD I sent you in November or there abouts?

Nice cover, nothing to add to mix but I enjoyed it.

It's too intense. Check the snare.

Harpsichord yes!

I admire the chord changes, too. Cut the last 'my life' 2 dB. You're welcome.

Welcome back RAMI. Nice to hear something new/old/borrowed from you. Very nice cover. Love the harpsi.....

I have nothing to add to all of the above but I agree with the snare comments. A touch more volume and 'Snare' rattle would be ace.

Top job, well done. :thumbs up:

The sanre sound is a little pop py but also I notice that in some passages you seemed to wander in terms of your target on the snare and the tone changed - seemingly randomly.
THis is one of the Beatles songs I like - not usually a big fans beyond Harrison & Lennon solo stuff.
You did it well.
I think Greg's suggestion about more reverb on the solo might be good - either that or EQ it to be a bit more toppy/aggressive - harpsicords, as plucking instruments, have a greater attack than the sample with this machine.
Excellent to hear you agin.
Now if Greg & Joe throw in a tune this week it'll be 2011 all over again.
Side bar --- did you get the CD I sent you in November or there abouts?

Thanx a lot guys. So it seems that there's a consensus on the snare. Funny, I was actually sort of excited about that snare sound when I changed the skin and started recording. Goes to show how our brains play games with us when we WANT to like something. I'm a little confused on what exactly is wrong with it. Some people say it needs to come up, others say it's too intense. But, generally, I guess I just need to work on it and tune it a little better. I know I'm in the right direction with it because on the original, it's not Ringo's low-tuned "Abbey Road" snare sound. It's pretty popping on the original. But I'll re-do that in a few days.

Ray-Yes, I got the CD. Thanx a lot. I enjoyed it a lot. It's always weird to hear myself on other people's stuff in that context. :)

sounds great - I won't also talk about the snare. I like the harpsichord part - it does sound a little bit fake (but so what, I guess) - if you have a saturation plugin in your software, you might add some (something like IVGI ) - you can make it sound a lot fake :)

sounds great - I won't also talk about the snare. I like the harpsichord part - it does sound a little bit fake (but so what, I guess) - if you have a saturation plugin in your software, you might add some (something like IVGI ) - you can make it sound a lot fake :)
Thanx Anti. Yeah, well it is a fake harpsichord, so that's pretty much how it sounds. I'm just too lazy today, but I will re-track the drums and add some reverb and/or delay to the harpsichord in the next few days.

Thanx a lot. :cool:

Nice work! Favorite band, one of my favorite songs from that band.

The snare didn't really bother me *that* much, but I can see where people are coming from. Its a really nice sounding snare, really cracks, but in the context of this song....it needs a bit more body.

Pretty impressed you nailed the solo. Have you tried duplicating how Mr Martin did it, just play a piano patch at half speed and speed it up? While it sounds like a harpsichord, I see what Greg is saying that it sounds Casio-ish. Maybe a bit more verb on it, or compression, or something. Basically its a bit thin and "on top."

Good work! THere was one chord in the verse (can't remember which one, going to sleep right now so not playing it back) that seems to be wrong...as in not in the original. I dunno.

Hey Rami! Great to see you around again. Hope you're well.

I don't get much time to listen to stuff on here, but I always make time for your stuff - it's always great.

I liked this one. The vocals in particular are great. I think you're getting more consistency in that area and you really can sing well. The harmonies are brilliant, very authentic. As per previous comments, I think the drums are the weak point here. The way they're spaced is a little off-putting and they don't hold everything together as I'm used to with your stuff. The sound of the snare has been picked up on and I agree with that. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great and there's the usual, wonderful sense of space in your mix, but your drums are usually the strongest feature for me with your stuff.

Nice job, though and good to see you!

excellent!
Thanx a lot man.

Great harmonies! I actually love the harpsicord. Was that guitar in the end slightly out of tune?
Might be. I'll check it out. I do tune up before every take, but anything's possible. :)

Nice work! Favorite band, one of my favorite songs from that band.

The snare didn't really bother me *that* much, but I can see where people are coming from. Its a really nice sounding snare, really cracks, but in the context of this song....it needs a bit more body.

Pretty impressed you nailed the solo. Have you tried duplicating how Mr Martin did it, just play a piano patch at half speed and speed it up? While it sounds like a harpsichord, I see what Greg is saying that it sounds Casio-ish. Maybe a bit more verb on it, or compression, or something. Basically its a bit thin and "on top."

Good work! THere was one chord in the verse (can't remember which one, going to sleep right now so not playing it back) that seems to be wrong...as in not in the original. I dunno.
Thanx buddy. Nah, I didn't want to play the solo at half speed like GM did. I wouldn't even know how to do that with my DAW anyway. I will work on both the drums, which I'll re-track, and the harpsichord, which I'll add a bit of space to. There is one wrong chord. I heard it wrong when I was learning the tune. There's an E chord that I thought only the bass went to while the rest of the band stayed on the A. But it utrns out that the whole band goes to the E. Good ears, dude. :)

Hey Rami! Great to see you around again. Hope you're well.

I don't get much time to listen to stuff on here, but I always make time for your stuff - it's always great.

I liked this one. The vocals in particular are great. I think you're getting more consistency in that area and you really can sing well. The harmonies are brilliant, very authentic. As per previous comments, I think the drums are the weak point here. The way they're spaced is a little off-putting and they don't hold everything together as I'm used to with your stuff. The sound of the snare has been picked up on and I agree with that. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great and there's the usual, wonderful sense of space in your mix, but your drums are usually the strongest feature for me with your stuff.

Nice job, though and good to see you!
Thanx Johnny. Good to hear from you. I agree with your comments. I'll re-do the drums.

Thanx guys. :cool:

Yes, I will have to say the space on your mixes is phenominal.

Don't you use Reaper? Its super easy to do vari-speed recording, I do it all the time, especially with keyboard midi work. I'll record it at half speed so at least its in the same key, although an octave lower.

Back