Alive- Demo

BrettT

Hey guys, this is my first post under this username (I forgot my other password, it has been awhile). I did a quick mix of this demo track, but am hoping to get some feedback/guidance. I think the synth at the beginning is going to be taken out, the bass is too loud, and the vocals need to be brought up. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/thetruitts/alive/s-zLp0N

Sounds great. Clean vocals and mixed good IMHO. Personally I think that clang snare sound is a little harsh. I figure its probably the effect your wanting but maybe a little more distance on it. Other than that, great mix man.

Thanks man. The clang snare has been a topic of debate. I might take it out of the verses or use it more sparingly and bring in at the chorus, while also backing off the volume a bit.

The female voice repeating something in the background is very indistinct, if we're supposed to understand what she's saying, we can't. If we're not, then it could still come up in the mix a little. The 'wo-oh-oh part at around 2:30 sounds a little strange (processing-wise). During the acapaella break, the snare is annoying with that sound, it's not so bad during the rest of the song, except too loud.
Good sound overall.

The female voice repeating something in the background is very indistinct, if we're supposed to understand what she's saying, we can't. If we're not, then it could still come up in the mix a little. The 'wo-oh-oh part at around 2:30 sounds a little strange (processing-wise). During the acapaella break, the snare is annoying with that sound, it's not so bad during the rest of the song, except too loud.
Good sound overall.
Cool, thanks. I'll take a look at the woah part and see what's up. I'll also try something different with that snare sound and definitely lower the volume. I appreciate the help.

Damn - Soundcloud is blocked on IE at work so I changed to Chrome and I think that helps. I'll have to go find those other thread links....
What I hear in this mix is a snare that is rather bold and the lead vocal is resonating on the high notes and cutting through my brain.
I'd rearrange that snare so it follows the vocal a bit better - on some parts it sounds out of time.
This girl can sing and this is a great tune - all the parts sound pro.

Damn - Soundcloud is blocked on IE at work so I changed to Chrome and I think that helps. I'll have to go find those other thread links....
What I hear in this mix is a snare that is rather bold and the lead vocal is resonating on the high notes and cutting through my brain.
I'd rearrange that snare so it follows the vocal a bit better - on some parts it sounds out of time.
This girl can sing and this is a great tune - all the parts sound pro.

Thanks for advice and compliments, I appreciate it. I'm reworking the snare part now. As far as the lead vocal, would you suggest eq-ing some highs out? Or possibly applying a more aggressive compression?

Nice tune, nice harmonies. My only nits are the snare sound and the vocal/backing levels. The snare would sound better as a floor tom, timpani, boooom kinda sound, to me personally. The snare got boring real quick but I can see what you're going for.

I found the vocals either too upfront or the backing lacking and not interesting enough to carry the vocal. Nothing seem to happen beyond the vocal, if you know what I mean? The backing just seems to mill along relentless. I can see how you've tried to add the dynamics with the volume drops/builds but I think/feel it needs something else in there to hold the interest of the listener. Take the track and the listener to the next level.

Just my 2p worth. Good track though. I enjoyed it. :thumbs up:

The backing track sounds muffled, especially the snare. I would lighten it and bring it forward, and then add a touch more reverb to the female vocal.

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback and advice. Mr. Clean, great thoughts on creating more interest and keeping listener attention, I will definitely try and add something that takes it to the next level. Tobe, good advice regarding the snare and reverb on the vocal. I appreciate it!

Great vocals and a great song: very contemporary. Harmonies are great.

Like others, I'm not convinced by the sound of the snare.

Would you consider ditching the snare and kick altogether? How about replacing them with, say, shakers, congas and other hand percussion?

Great vocals and a great song: very contemporary. Harmonies are great.

Like others, I'm not convinced by the sound of the snare.

Would you consider ditching the snare and kick altogether? How about replacing them with, say, shakers, congas and other hand percussion?

Thanks man! Interesting, I haven't thought of that. I'll have to it try and see.

I love gecko's idea of ditching the snare and trying a shaker, conga, etc. Alternatively a lower percussive instrument with a deep thunder could work, if it wasn't in the entire song. More importantly, try to change up the percussion at different points to hold listener interest.

Some other notes:

-Female vox sounds really nice. Up front and very clear. It has some harsh frequencies that could be taken out, and potentially de-essed depending on the EQing.
-Vocals around 2:40 start to feel just a little too far out front for me. A bit overpowering as the track moves further on.

Thanks for sharing. You've got a well written song and great talent, clearly recorded. Keep working to make the most of it!

I love gecko's idea of ditching the snare and trying a shaker, conga, etc. Alternatively a lower percussive instrument with a deep thunder could work, if it wasn't in the entire song. More importantly, try to change up the percussion at different points to hold listener interest.

Some other notes:

-Female vox sounds really nice. Up front and very clear. It has some harsh frequencies that could be taken out, and potentially de-essed depending on the EQing.
-Vocals around 2:40 start to feel just a little too far out front for me. A bit overpowering as the track moves further on.

Thanks for sharing. You've got a well written song and great talent, clearly recorded. Keep working to make the most of it!
Hey Brian, Thanks for the insight. I'll definitely change up the percussion for interest. I appreciate the advice!

That's a very well written song and a nice arrangement. I don't think the drum sounds fit with the rest though, the snare actually sounds a little Phil Spectorish to me and the kick like a muffled heartbeat while the rest of the mix is less "effected". I thought I heard pitch correction dialed up a bit too much, but no one has mentioned it so maybe I'm hearing things? It just got a bit Chipmunky in places and thought I heard the Cher effect a couple of times. The background vocal sounded synthetic at times too, but if they're not maybe just need a little more blending with the lead as they are sitting outside of it at least to my ears.
Really a good job and a great song/nice performances, just some sounds not fitting together for me but sounds like a hit.

That's a very well written song and a nice arrangement. I don't think the drum sounds fit with the rest though, the snare actually sounds a little Phil Spectorish to me and the kick like a muffled heartbeat while the rest of the mix is less "effected". I thought I heard pitch correction dialed up a bit too much, but no one has mentioned it so maybe I'm hearing things? It just got a bit Chipmunky in places and thought I heard the Cher effect a couple of times. The background vocal sounded synthetic at times too, but if they're not maybe just need a little more blending with the lead as they are sitting outside of it at least to my ears.
Really a good job and a great song/nice performances, just some sounds not fitting together for me but sounds like a hit.

Hey, thanks, I appreciate it. I've changed the drum sounds. There isn't much pitch correction, and what I did do, I graphically fixed. However, I'll go in and make the retune speed on those notes slower. Thanks for advice!

The snare sounds like a yardstick being whacked on a big wooden table in a warehouse. Maybe cut a bit of its lower end? (Or maybe consider replacing it with a great big snare sample with a great big plate reverb on it.) Also, arrangement: consider muting it altogether for a couple bars at places like 1.14 for instance, and most definitely during the a capella bit toward the end.

Careful with the 'ohs' that come in at 2.23 - they sound slightly comical.

Beautiful vocals. You just need to develop the instrumental support and mixing chops for a better presentation of the singing.

I really like this one. Nice work.

Back