Across the Universe - Beatles Cover

It is a beautiful song and the mix sounds really good.

Thanks bud! I should have done what I did this morning before tracking ... listen to how Lennon delivered it. His phrasing elongates the notes differently ... particularly at the end. I also listened to his stop points in his vocal ... and they make sense.

Sounds good - did you do it with 2 12-string tracks? I'd like to hear some more guitar bottom end (like with a 6-string dread or jumbo, but that's just me.

Sounds good - did you do it with 2 12-string tracks? I'd like to hear some more guitar bottom end (like with a 6-string dread or jumbo, but that's just me.

Nope, Mike. Only one 12 String ... stereo miked w/ an AT4050 pointed diagonally at the back of the sound hole from the rear, and an MXL 603 up at the headstock pointed at the neck/body joint. Both about 16 inches off the guitar.

In the mix the 603 (for the highs) is panned hard right and the 4050 (for the lows) is hard left.

yup :D

Now it has more of your own character as well. :thumbs up:

Cool. I sang it a bit more true to Lennon this time.

The interesting thing I learned is he evidently tuned the guitar down to suit his vocal range ... for whereas this rendition is in the key of "D" ... the actual recording is not.

Nope, Mike. Only one 12 String ... stereo miked w/ an AT4050 pointed diagonally at the back of the sound hole from the rear, and an MXL 603 up at the headstock pointed at the neck/body joint. Both about 16 inches off the guitar.

In the mix the 603 (for the highs) is panned hard right and the 4050 (for the lows) is hard left.

I'm trying to visualize the AT4050 - from the rear? How did you hold the guitar? :confused: My 12-string is a cheap Ibanez, I'll usually plug it in to be able to use that for some body sound, but have also miked the lower bout (from the front) to try and get some.

I'm trying to visualize the AT4050 - from the rear? How did you hold the guitar? :confused: My 12-string is a cheap Ibanez, I'll usually plug it in to be able to use that for some body sound, but have also miked the lower bout (from the front) to try and get some.

Mine is an Ibanez also! By "from the rear", I meant "at the back". It's out in front of the guitar positioned at the end of the guitar, and pointed back diagonally to just behind the sound hole.

Yeah...eliminating the pitchiness improved this a lot. Did you use that dynamics processor on this vocal? Mention the brand name again, please.

Mine is an Ibanez also! By "from the rear", I meant "at the back". It's out in front of the guitar positioned at the end of the guitar, and pointed back diagonally to just behind the sound hole.

That makes more sense! I'm wondering if the position has caused a delay/phase issue (not that is necessarily bad), because it sounded like more than 1 12 string to me.

You did a nice job on this one. Wasn't this written when John Lennon was all blissed out on that guru/yogi guy?

My only thing is the slight break at the very start, I think at 8 seconds?

All over you captured the mood, I love this song, I've tried playing and singing it, and it's not as easy as it sounds. Your voice is very different, but I like it. Well done. :)

Sounds good. It is a tough tune to sing and get the breathing correct for me. Your voice reminds me of Ray Davies of The Kinks !!

The 12 sounds fantastic. I think your delivery of the word "world" is too abrupt - I think it is a stylistic difference, and that's just my personal preference.

That makes more sense! I'm wondering if the position has caused a delay/phase issue (not that is necessarily bad), because it sounded like more than 1 12 string to me.

I'm not hearing any phase ... as I tend to pay very close attention to that. What I think it is is the difference in tonality between the two mics ...

Back