What's your "to go" eq?

I do tend to hi-pass guitars and vocals most of the time. Not so much on kick or bass. It is surprising how much low-end energy can be picked up by a microphone.

The only shaping EQ I use is ReaEQ. I love that plug.

When I do my homebrew "mastering", I use Variety of Sound's Baxter EQ to add some brightness into my normally dark-sounding mixes. A few dB at 7 kHz makes a big difference to me.

Yeah if you have to EQ so much that you have a go-to-to-go EQ then maybe try to track better sounds to begin with? Fix your room? Just a thought. I know, crazy, right? But then again, if you're dealing with someone else's shit, then use your magical EQs.

Greg I have never seen someone post so much bs in one thread...
A to go eq is an eq you usually go to when you want to eq, stop bullshitting my thread will you?

I read your posts around here, you are a wise ass, and I don't appreciate people who mostly does that, 50% of your posts are not proffesional

If you don't like the thread I started - keep out, or you know what, keep out everytime you see a thread of mine , and I'll keep out of yours (which won't be a problem since I don't think I ever responded to one)

Let me save you the trouble, I'm not going to fight with you here, so save your wise ass response
I come here to try help people , share my opnions, and get advice, that's it

Thank you

Greg I have never seen someone post so much bs in one thread...
A to go eq is an eq you usually go to when you want to eq, stop bullshitting my thread will you?

I read your posts around here, you are a wise ass, and I don't appreciate people who mostly does that, 50% of your posts are not proffesional

If you don't like the thread I started - keep out, or you know what, keep out everytime you see a thread of mine , and I'll keep out of yours (which won't be a problem since I don't think I ever responded to one)

Let me save you the trouble, I'm not going to fight with you here, so save your wise ass response
I come here to try help people , share my opnions, and get advice, that's it

Thank you

And I don't help anyone? How are you being helpful by being a halfass? Your scripted cliche response to every drum question is "use samples". How is that helpful? You're a fraud. There's been a lot of you in here lately, so I'm doing my part to out you hacks.

I didn't answer your uninspiring, mundane, moronic question because it's uninspiring, mundane, and moronic. Who cares what EQ people use? I went to the bigger picture. You know...recording good sounds to begin with, which is NEVER bad idea, so you don't have to default EQ everything with your "to go" EQ. If you can dispute that, well, you can't, but go ahead and try.

I will acknowledge that you might need to do some heavy EQ'ing if you're handed a bunch of bad tracks to mix. If that's the case, then use your go to EQ at will and fire away. That's what it's for. You don't need to be an internet pro to know that. STFU now.

I wonder why a pro mix engineer is on a home recording forum asking about what eq we use. But then I see the link in the signature...

Raz,

Greg might seem like a smart-arse but he's right. Get the sound right at the source and just record that.

I use the bass, mid and treb on the amp as my "go to" EQ.

Completely understand if you're mixing someone else's shit though but you can only polish a turd so much. REAPER has an excellent EQ built in.

JD

The correct answer is ReaEQ. ;)

I high pass damn near everything ITB for much the same reason that every active stage in the analog world is high passed - to strip any DC offset or LF carrier-type waves that might have crept in and keep things swinging around 0. In analog, you don't get to decide where those HP cutoff frequencies are because the designer did it for you. In ReaEQ, it can't be lower than 20Hz, but that works for most things.

Likewise, I low-pass fairly frequently as well to kind of "help" the anti-alias filter. I'm not going to claim that it makes much difference most of the time, but I got the trick from Joel Hamilton, and it sure isn't hurting anything. It is somewhat analogous to the LPF built into most analog gain stages to keep them from trying to amplify radio frequencies. Again, you don't get to set those in analog, though they are usually set a bit higher than the 18K where I put mine, but sometimes they change with the gain.

Also, for a lot of us, the computer is the source. For whatever reason, and by whatever means, the signal itself is being generated ITB. In these instances, a good EQ can and should be used for the same reasons that mic choice and placement would be used in meatspace.

I'm completely not saying that I'm doing this to make it sound like analog. All I'm saying is that the processes and reasons are similar. The only real goal is to make it sound good.

I'm not going to claim that it makes much difference most of the time...

But isn't that a key point?

I mean....people here often argue against using very high sampling rates because "it makes little difference"...but then by default, they apply HPF and LPF on everything, even though that too makes little difference most of the time.

Seems a bit of a contradiction....just sayin.

Personally, I think you're all a bunch of verbose idiots whose posts can all be reduced to "Me, me, me, me, I, I, I ,I".

I don't even know why anyone's even answering this question. Oh wait, I forgot. It's because you're all a bunch of verbose idiots whose posts can all be reduced to "Me, me, me, me, I, I, I ,I".

Unlike me.

:D

(just kidding)

If I had to pick one, it's probably garlic. I think the OP is more like "What's your favorite pizza joint?"

I'm not obese

I bet you are by BMI standards. That BMI scale is a joke. I'm now 5'11", 200 lbs., and as lean as I was in my 20's, but by the BMI scale, I'm considered grossly obese. Completely stupid.

I bet you are by BMI standards. That BMI scale is a joke. I'm now 5'11", 200 lbs., and as lean as I was in my 20's, but by the BMI scale, I'm considered grossly obese. Completely stupid.

According to BMI, a 5'8-235 lb NFL runningback made of solid muscle and ripped at 6% bodyfat is obese.

Back