Mastering Limiters?

ecktronic

Mixing and Mastering.
I have been using the L2 for some time now.
I like it but I heard about Roger Nicols mastering plug-ins.

I was wondering what yous think of the mastering limiter on the Roger Nicols Digital Detailer.
Any good? Sounds good when reading about it but better to get views on here.

Cheers,
Eck

I haven't used that RND detailer, but mastering limiters I have used and like are:

PSP Audioware's MasterComp, which is invisible and excellent sounding.

Steve Massey's L2007 limiter, which is for ProTools only at this point but might be ported later.

The Roger Nichols "Finis", which is his straight limiter plugin.

There's also a freeware limiter plugin based on the Waves L1 that is actually pretty good, called the W1. http://www.yohng.com/

I haven't used that RND detailer, but mastering limiters I have used and like are:

PSP Audioware's MasterComp, which is invisible and excellent sounding.

Steve Massey's L2007 limiter, which is for ProTools only at this point but might be ported later.

The Roger Nichols "Finis", which is his straight limiter plugin.

There's also a freeware limiter plugin based on the Waves L1 that is actually pretty good, called the W1. http://www.yohng.com/

Is the Roger Nichols Finis limiter and the PSP Mastercomp limiter much better than the L2?

Cheers,
Eck

I think the PSP MasterComp is amazing, and I do think it is better than the L2. Finis is a bit of a different animal, I'm not sure I'd say it is better, just that it is as good but seems to respond a bit differently. I'm glad I have it.

I used to own a Waves L2 hardware unit, so I am familiar with the sound. I'd take either of these two over it, but the MasterComp is the real winner in my opinion.

L3

1. if you want to achieve your very own signature spectral balance and dynamics
2. if your are dealing with a lot of distortions like Square waves or Guitar distortion
3. if you want all the detailes in your dynamics while having DA HARD ROCK LOUDNESS
4. and IF YOU LIKE THE SOUND OF L2

then go for L3, it has a lot different algorithm from L2 because its a Multiband mastering limiter with different priority for each band, the dithering is as crap as other waves dithering engines, but if you like a dirty dithering (analog characteristic) leave the dithering on ON
you can also save different parts of your plugin settings in different presets!

AND DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON SOFTWARE LIMITERS BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL CRAP IN GENERAL.

AND DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON SOFTWARE LIMITERS BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL CRAP IN GENERAL.

Not sure I understand your point, as the L3 you just recommended is a software limiter.

NL5, I haven't used the UAD limiter so I can't make any comparisons.

go for L3........AND DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON SOFTWARE LIMITERS BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL CRAP IN GENERAL.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

If you're going to buy a car, go for a Cadillac......AND DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON THE ONES WITH A STEERING WHEEL BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL CRAP IN GENERAL.:eek::eek::eek:

1. if you want to achieve your very own signature spectral balance and dynamics
2. if your are dealing with a lot of distortions like Square waves or Guitar distortion
3. if you want all the detailes in your dynamics while having DA HARD ROCK LOUDNESS
4. and IF YOU LIKE THE SOUND OF L2

then go for L3, it has a lot different algorithm from L2 because its a Multiband mastering limiter with different priority for each band, the dithering is as crap as other waves dithering engines, but if you like a dirty dithering (analog characteristic) leave the dithering on ON
you can also save different parts of your plugin settings in different presets!

I think he meant to say at the start, "If you have to use software limiters then..."

That would mae sense, as that would mean he doesnt like software limiters and prefers the hardware limiters.
I got my album back from a mastering engineer at Heathmanns. A glorious looking set of mastering suites with awsome gear. It cost me £720 ($1,440) and the limiting sounds horrible to me. I hear distortion now that was definetly noe there in the mix, even at very high levels, and I even tested he mix by using an L2 to the extremes and no distortion.
Obviously his A/D converters were pushed further than they could handle for my mixes.
What a waste of $1,440.
Fek it, Ive learnt my lesson now though.

Eck

I like the precision limiter over the L2. It does something to the sound besides just chopping off the peaks. I've heard the Roger Nichols Finis at one of the studios I frequent. What I heard sounded good but I couldn't really compare it to anything.

I've used that free W1 limiter just to get some extra volume for my acoustic songs. I like transparency for stuff like that on acoustic music, so it doesn't sound over-processed. I think the W1 did a good job for that.

fuck...for all the $$ you threw down on a shitty mastering job, you could've gotten yourself an 1176, or a clone thereof, and been done with it

fuck...for all the $$ you threw down on a shitty mastering job, you could've gotten yourself an 1176, or a clone thereof, and been done with it
Yeah, Im kinda gutted, but its too late now.
Ive learnt ma lesson now.
Id rather master myself now.

Eck

Yeah, Im kinda gutted, but its too late now.
Ive learnt ma lesson now.
Id rather master myself now.

Eck

Eck,

Did you communcate this to him? If so, and nothing was corrected maybe you picked the wrong engineer. I wouldn't throw all MEs in a bad light over this experience.

Another limiter to check out is the Sony Oxford limiter. If you want overall level though, it's a combination of several things, not just reducing peaks and throwing the level back up. Personally I rarely limit much more than 2 db with a limiter, the rest comes through a combination of gain staging, compression, and pushing a converter by the "right" amount.

Thanks Tom.
The whole album has been delayed so long the label really wanted it finished asap, so its the way it is. Was meant to be released in February! Prob wont be released till September now.
I just dont beleive that a "pro" ME would create distortion at points in the song. You cant really hear it on speakers, but on headphones its noticeable, to me anyway. Probably not so noticeable to the punters, but still its meant to sound better after mastering not worse! (to a certain extent anyway, as obviously boosting is gona kill the mix a bit).

Next album Ill prob master myself or get some help to bring the volume up. Will save alot of money and atleast I will have control over how it sounds.

Cheers,
Eck

have you tried the voxengo elephant limiter? if not, check it out... I think you might dig it!

I have that one, and I also have the psp mastecomp, which as mentioned works really great. Actually, they work well together!

That's just my experience, but heck, the voxengo surprised me big time. Works easy and sounds really nice.

Back