Drummer's perspective, or audiences?

Which perspective do you usually mix from?

• Drummer

Votes: 119 60.7%
  • Audience

Votes: 77 39.3%

• Total voters
I don't play drums, but I mix from a drummer's perspective. no reason - I've just always done it that way - it's easier to mix the entire song that way for me, knowing the snare is on the left so there is room on the right for something else, like an electric guitar, then vocals and bass in the middle. something like that.

I think it's really because a lot of the beatles recordings have the electric guitar in the right ear.

i usually mix from the "drummer's perspective"...and in order to make sure there isn't weird shit going on with the panning everywhere, i label all my tracks according to this same perspective...i.e. the OH over the snare/hat is the OHL, the one over the floor toms and whatever else would be the OHR

SouthSIDE Glen said:
What's the point of doing all that seperate miking if you're just going to re-create a natural stereo image? Stick to the overheads if that's what you want to do.
G.
Im no pro at recording but I do know that OHs sound VERY different to close mics. OHs sound more natural where as close mics accentuate what is being heard in the OHs.
I pan close mics to match the OHs which makes complete sense to me.

Eck

I think it's best to mix from the guy two stories down's perspective. Lots of bass; everything muffled; practically mono. Brilliant!

VomitHatSteve said:
I think it's best to mix from the guy two stories down's perspective. Lots of bass; everything muffled; practically mono. Brilliant!
:D :D :D

I say mix from the drummer's girlfriend's perspective. She's right down there under the snare with her butt against the bass drum. It's GOT to sound good from there.

RAMI said:
:D :D :D

I say mix from the drummer's girlfriend's perspective. She's right down there under the snare with her butt against the bass drum. It's GOT to sound good from there.

Wouldn't that perspective invlove having a dick in your mouth thou? :confused:

RAMI said:
It might also be the limited number of tracks. They might have put the drums on one track and everything esle on the other and then, when stereo came out, like dachay2tnr says....they went nuts!!!

I also have heard that some of ye olde consoles, had merely a Left Center Right toggle switch, so it was only one of the three choices.

mix from the perspective of that one drunk old guy that always comes to heavy shows at small dive bars and loves it(does every town have one of those or something?) just flail around on the pan pots for the kick and snare in random directions rapidly untill the listener throws up from dizziness.You should pan the OHs and ROOM mics exactly in the center and reverse the phase on the L channels of them. Put the hihat channel through a sub bass pedal and cut those nasty high frequencies out, then just delete those toms, yechh. After you've done that record it on analogue tape and soak the tape in a used, but not flushed toilet for a half hour, after the time is up simply just take the tape out, pour a glass of beer over it (gives it that extra world class sheen) and throw that sumbitch back on the reels. You won't be sorry, trust me.

Given that the soundscape in studio is artificial anyways - I like the way drums sound from the drummers perspective. There's something cool about sitting in your car and hearing a long roll played out from your left to right. You catch people air drumming all the time, isn't it cool to the beats and hearing it like you were playing? Fun times :)

the rubber on my steering wheel is work off almost all the way to the metal core. I put on the most amazing drum solos in my car.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
If I'm doing a mix to please a drummer, then it might be from the drummer's perspective. If I'm making it for the pleasure of anyone else on the planet, it's either from the audience perspective, or it's an abstract mixing scheme that does not necessarily resemble a real physical performance.

G.

Problem solved.

Unless you are mixing for a drummer specifically (in case they want to hear more of themselves in a scratch mixdown for some reason), why would you want a song to sound as though you were sitting behind the drumkit?

Just seems like most people wouldn't want to hear really loud drums, mixed with the sound of the back of a couple amplifiers, and hardly any vocals at all...

In the sense of simply mixing the drums in ultra-stereo, I would imagien you would go for the sound that is most cohesive of all the parts recorded. If the drums sound good in stereo, I guess go that route - I just don't think I've heard many albums where the drums were recorded such that the toms descended in pitch across the spectrum, the hats were dead-right, the ride cymbal dead-left... I would think that might sound cool on a track or two, but would probably be disorienting when coupled with all the other instruments.

Most people want to listen to music the way they would expect to hear it in real life - the drums mixed pretty much center back behind the guitars, basses, what have you. But, might make for some cool effects - do a couple different mixes and get some opinions :)

one time a guy asked me to mix his kit as if the listener's head was stuck between the kick and the rack toms, facing sideways. thats was an interesting session...

The thing is, as soon as you cross over to anywhere near 'wide' it is "an abstract mixing scheme that does not necessarily resemble a real physical performance" --except perhaps as from the drum seat. :)

I think you should only mix as if your head was in between the kick drum beater and the kick drum head. That is the only way!

mixsit said:
The thing is, as soon as you cross over to anywhere near 'wide' it is "an abstract mixing scheme that does not necessarily resemble a real physical performance" --except perhaps as from the drum seat. :)

I still think about this and wonder why you would want to hear a song from the drummer's prespective - isn't the point of listening to a song to get the full effect of the band?

It doesn't matter. The whole lefty thing has already been brought up. To me, everyone else's "drummer pespective" is my (and Ian Paice's and Phil Collins', etc....) "audience pespective".

It means not a thing.

cusebassman said:
This poll is showing more people mixing from the prespective of the drummer. Whaaaat?
It's a flawed poll taken by someone inexperienced in poll-taking, increasingly answered by those inexperienced in the topic. The results can't be taken too seriously or accurately.

G.

Back