Drummer's perspective, or audiences?

Which perspective do you usually mix from?

• Drummer

Votes: 119 60.7%
  • Audience

Votes: 77 39.3%

• Total voters
If I'm doing a mix to please a drummer, then it might be from the drummer's perspective. If I'm making it for the pleasure of anyone else on the planet, it's either from the audience perspective, or it's an abstract mixing scheme that does not necessarily resemble a real physical performance.

G.

NL5 said:
Would you really want ANYTHING from a "drummer's perspective"?!?!?!?! :eek:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to NL5 again.
Classic!

I never, ever do audience. I am used to hearing hi-hats on the left side of me, and when I started recordings drums, it always seemed more natural to have the hats on the left and ride on the right. I don't think I've heard a lot of albums where the hats were on the right.

a little off subject by not really, but why in older stereo recordings, especially country, and some mo-town are the drums panned hard to one side, like the whole set is over to the left or right??

Chris Jahn said:
a little off subject by not really, but why in older stereo recordings, especially country, and some mo-town are the drums panned hard to one side, like the whole set is over to the left or right??
Probably because stereo was just coming into being back then, and people went crazy with it. Check out some of the old Beatles recordings, with the bass in one ear and the lead vocal in another. Sounds weird from today's perspective.

It might also be the limited number of tracks. They might have put the drums on one track and everything esle on the other and then, when stereo came out, like dachay2tnr says....they went nuts!!!

Actually, I don't even take that into account. I just put the song within the "song's" perspective. Also, I'd guess that 99% of the listeners don't give a rats-ass about audience or drummer perspective. JMHO :)

Drummer.

Reasons?
hmmmmm... :rolleyes:

1)I speak on the telephone with the left ear, and hear the "hi hat" mid/hi frequencies with it.

2) I´m a frustrated drummer, and it´s a chance to my imagination... :D

David Katauskas said:
Actually, I don't even take that into account. I just put the song within the "song's" perspective. Also, I'd guess that 99% of the listeners don't give a rats-ass about audience or drummer perspective. JMHO :)
That was going to be my original answer, but I got side-tracked on NL5's response. :D

Usually drummer's perspective. Only really because the floor tom seems more 'right' on the right to me. But then sometimes I pan the hat right too, so I guess it just depends on the tune.

I think this question should be qualified into two seperate questions. "Is there anybody who is not a drummer who mixes drums from the drummer's perspective?" - and - "Is there anybody who is a drummer who does not mix from a drummer's perspective?"

I might also point out that "mixing from a drummer's perspective" would include having the drums in the front of the mix, not amplifying the kick, and not being able to hear the rest of the band outside the bass and the lead vocals. ;)

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
I think this question should be qualified into two seperate questions. "Is there anybody who is not a drummer who mixes drums from the drummer's perspective?" - and - "Is there anybody who is a drummer who does not mix from a drummer's perspective?"

I might also point out that "mixing from a drummer's perspective" would include having the drums in the front of the mix, not amplifying the kick, and not being able to hear the rest of the band outside the bass and the lead vocals. ;)

G.

And, looking at the "exact" audience perspective, a hihat that in a recording mix is opened 70/80% , on a 30' stage, means a big, giant drum :D

Ciro

my songs
www.soundclick.com/openstation

CIRO said:
And, looking at the "exact" audience perspective, a hihat that in a recording mix is opened 70/80% , on a 30' stage, means a big, giant drum :D
Exactly! A hard-panned drum kit filling the entire sound stage is neither audience perspective or drummer perspective. It's an abstract construction.

G.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not busting your balls or anything like that...

I just really don't understand the point in having a vote on something like drummer's perspective vs crowd perspective.

There's no significant reason why one is prefered over the other. I think it just really comes down to habit and whatever the client wants. 5 minutes thinking about it is too much.

In the end, the drums, just like any rhythm section, is the foundation of the mix. You can flip that around and it'll still be what it is.

Then again, some people are just fucking *weird*. They just *have* to hear that floor tom comming from the left speaker. If not, it totally fucks with their world and they get all bent out of shape for it.

They may even hurt a kitten over it.

Just my two cents.

Im not a drummer bit I always place drum mix as if Im am the drummer. 'course, I pick my nose when Im driving so.....

Back