Do you loop verse and chorus parts in your songs?

I'm not the one moralizing about "fakery & trickery" in recording...or talking about a need to "take a stand"...etc.
If you really don't care what others do...then why make a point of always bringing that up if it's not intentionally meant to be a put down...?

I'm not bothered by the variety of methods people use to create their music.
I doubt there are any folks here faking or tricking anything AFA typical recording productions go.
It's not easy to really fake/trick a good recording...it's probably harder to do that than it is to just record normally. :)

I don't care what others do as it pertains to me personally. I do care that DAW trickery has drastically dumbed down the entire recording process, and as an extension of that, the entire creative process. If that's "moralizing", then good.

It depends. If it's a string pad or a synth arpeggio or something, sure. If it is something that has enough character that a listener can say "I've heard that before" then no. Drums, guitars, bass, vocals? Never.

But you never know when you'll fuck something up and have to grab a piece of that last chorus, so it's good insurance.

This is a great conversation for me. My music has undergone a complete exodus since I came to this website. I had mistakenly thought the future of music was in the programming. Seemed that's what everyone wanted to hear. Everything I was doing was programmed and made to sound as realistic as possible (mostly because I can't play guitar...well, I'm getting better). Maybe that's because I play a superstrat and a Mockingbird and they both have pointy bits...Point is, the only thing live on my recordings was my voice.
Anyway, I was quickly losing the love for the songwriting until I started remembering how much fun it was to be in studio in the 80s with the guys laying down tracks. So I grabbed my acoustic and put down something really simple. Added a simple bass line, some piano (from the piano) and laid that over some programmed drums. It was a whole lot more fun.
Then, on my last song, I actually sat on a drum stool and "played" the drum part into the computer...still cheating, I suppose cause it's a digital drum setup cooking midi notes into SSD samples. But it was a lot more fun. Everything got recorded (even if it was from digital source) by hand. There is a different spark to the tune that a lot of people like.

Bottom line, when I was doing what I though everyone wanted to hear, I lost the edge. When I started doing it for fun again, people started to like it better. :)
I've never heard a Purple Circles or Rami song, even Dobro's music I didn't like listening to for the energy they capture. Am I going to put them in my song list? Doubtful. No offense, but not the music I listen to. But I do enjoy hearing the energy. It's inspiring! It teaches me about recording at home, which is what I'm hear for! :D

Didn't read past the first page of responses. I believe it all depends on the type/genre of music being recorded. Electronic things can probably get away with looping things more - rock music might suffer from loss of "excitement", "suspense", "buildup", if the final chorus is exactly the same as the first. Typically, the guitars will be playing just a bit harder, the drums a bit louder, and the vocals with a bit more "ooomphh". again, depends on the style and if the song can tolerate loss of buildup.

Everytime I start a song, I plan to cut and paste the parts to make them sound more homogenous. But when I actually go to record, I like playing the song so much, I don't bother stopping. So, I usually play all the parts straight through. Then I get lazy about retracking flubs, so there I might cut n paste from a good section.

I usually copy my background vocals and little fills here and there.

I am wondering, do you or do any famous artists loops parts? Like instead of playing all the instrument parts over in verse 2, could I just loop in the instrument section from verse 1, and than add the new vocals? Do any famous songs do this?

Pharrell Williams, for one. "Happy" is almost entirely looped/copied and pasted, with slight addition or variation in lead vocal in I think one of the choruses. I'm not familiar with other artists he produces, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is his typical production technique.

Back