Mix this!!! 13 tracks

My Mix

Ok...the attachment feature is working again so here is my mix.

I enjoy mixing and i'm trying to improve...

However, after listening to what Steffeeh did (which I really liked), I realized that I didn't really make any artistic/creative choices in my attempt.

I think I'll have to work on that aspect too...

Thanks for posting the tracks...I thought the song was great!

Attachments

• super.mp3
    3.4 MB · Views: 45
However, after listening to what Steffeeh did (which I really liked), I realized that I didn't really make any artistic/creative choices in my attempt.

I think I'll have to work on that aspect too...

It's a touchy thing for a mixing engineer to impose their view on the song. Most of the time when doing mixes for others I avoid changing the character of the song and just deliver the best balanced sounding version I can.

Your mix sounds really nice!

Fwiw, now that you got the attachment thing working you should remove this track from your soundcloud page. It looks like YOUR song. Not cool.

Last edited:
Hey guys, Alternative/Pop/Rock song.
I've got a mix on it at the moment but I reckon better can be done and it would also be cool to hear what someone else does with it, change my perspective or give me some ideas or something. So yeah, here's my mix:

And here are the track outs/stems:
Part 1: mediafire.com/download/3h17jivacnnki6o/Waiting_For_Superman_1.rar
Part 2: mediafire.com/download/dt8wr8z7abpkcpq/Waiting_For_Superman_2.rar

Thanks very much

Your mix isn't that bad, maybe too much low-mids on the guitars and sibilance on the vocals.

You still looking for more? You have a good range of mixes posted here, many of them varying in degree of quality and mixing styles.

Fwiw, now that you got the attachment thing working you should remove this track from your soundcloud page. It looks like YOUR song. Not cool.

I had posted this apology in the Mp3 Mixing Clinic thread as well...just wanted to make sure it was here as well.

My apologies for any incorrect use of the excellent 'Superman Song' by homerecording.com member Yeah. I had been participating in the 'mix this' forum (as you probably know). I did put a comment in the description...but you are right... I should not have done that and I have taken it down.

Sorry ace, I meant to come back here after the discussion in the other thread and remove my reminder.

I could spend all day fine tuning and tweaking this, absolutely love the song. [In fact, I have done a few tweaks to the mix as I've come back to it a few times in the last 24 hours]

I went conservative in the mastering, but left a lot of room to really crank the loudness in subsequent masters (hence why the mix isn't as bright as it could be). If you decide you like the mix and want a hotter master let me know. Either way you're welcome to the WAV file.

Thanks for letting us take whacks at the mix!! :)

View attachment Paris In Paint - Waiting For Superman [Boogeymen Productions].mp3

Last edited:
I did a mix and master on it.

Description:

Master: A general setting I use: Waves Lowband Linearphase highpass @ 50hz. and near max slope, for the cleanest sound, and L316 multiband, which does good general peak limiting. Also actually my own linearphase eq, after the L316, to adjust its tonality a little. Then L2 slow manual, for a little bit of enveloping. With todays loudness, it makes more sense to do that after frequency peak processing, as compressor becomes too uncontrolled, and with the enveloping limiter after, one can set exactly the amount of envelope one wants. Max is about 5dB and that is what I use here.

Mix:

Something that is a bit fun I think, is starting with the bass, and vocals, and getting this really clean, and tight (using L2 manual here, for a typical sound), and then trying to follow up the mix with a clean sound.

Typical processing I do is, eq-lim-eq, which can be used for both eq and de-essing, with a limiter, or adjust density in frequencies.

The first thing I wanted to do next then, is reducing the frequency range of the distorted guitars a bit. I also added a bit of edge, with a digital softclip. So, eq-softclip-eq on the guitar, also.

Then I did the kick, eq and limiting it, to get the sound I want, with hp to get rid of rumble, and usually some shelving filters. Also I sidechained bass compressor to kick, to duck the bass a bit with kick.

Really trying to follow the enthusiasm of the singer with a lot of settings.

Then snare, some eq and limiting, and a bit of reverb.

Added a bit of chorus and limiter to backingvocals.

"Drumroom"-track, a bit of highpass, highshelf, and limiter. Also a bit of eq to emphasise crash-cymbal, to accentuate it a bit more with the stops.

I think also the track sounded more commercial with a bit of ducking on the acoustic guitar vs the distorted guitar. And some processing.

Also a bit of processing on synth and added also a bit of saturation on the last sine´ish part.

Fade:

Then I added another plugin I wrote myself. I used a lot of standard plugins here, just to get a sound everyone knows. But this one is a smoothed gain ramper, which I use for fade. And then I also use my own quantize and dither after that.

Trim: Edited .wav for uneccesary silences at beginning and end.

Encoding: lame -mj -q0 -k -V2 song.wav will get the best sound from Lame 3.97.

The off-world colonies await:

There you go. Release it on youtube, with a band-video, and it will probably gain you promotion, and you can sell it on a webpage :) Unless you want the whole recordlabel, drugs and bimbos thing. Or maybe there is a decent recordlabel somewhere :)

Peace Be With You.

Attachments

• mixtest.wav.mp3
    6.1 MB · Views: 47
Thanks very much for all the new mixes!

The sound of the snare and the drums on your mix 'GT3000XX' is great. Really nice.

The acoustic guitar is a little too much on your mix 'Headline', but everything is sounding pretty tight and well balanced otherwise.

'Whoosh', I really like your mix; everything is sounding really clean and together. However the acoustic guitar is a little overpowering and the vocals are a bit too hipassed or something.

'Boogeyman', everything is sounding pretty natural and not too processed/super clean (except vocals of course haha). It's a nice change and everything sounds sweet together. Not totally sure about the vocal fx or perhaps the synth volume however.

'Ove Karlsen'; Being the bassist I can't help wondering what's going on with the bass tone. Pretty 'unique' haha. The vocal delays on the chorus and breakdown are totally cool however and the acoustic guitar bit is really dreamy.

I appreciate all the nice words you guys are saying and it's great to hear all these different perspectives on it!

'Boogeyman', everything is sounding pretty natural and not too processed/super clean (except vocals of course haha). It's a nice change and everything sounds sweet together. Not totally sure about the vocal fx or perhaps the synth volume however.

Usually the vocalist has to tell you what they envision, otherwise it's a crap shoot for the engineer. I decided to have some fun with it and let that be my mark on the mix (otherwise like you said I was aiming for clean and clear). :)

Here's yet another revision on my prior mix that may be a little more pleasing (compressed the vox and removed some of the chorus, increased the presence of the keys). Also pumped up the master a little.

View attachment Paris In Paint - Waiting For Superman [Boogeymen Productions].mp3

Last edited:
Thanks very much for all the new mixes!

'Ove Karlsen'; Being the bassist I can't help wondering what's going on with the bass tone. Pretty 'unique' haha. The vocal delays on the chorus and breakdown are totally cool however and the acoustic guitar bit is really dreamy.

Yes, I tried to do a commercial sound. The bass was processed quite a bit.

PBWY

Mix for "Waiting On Superman"

Nice song! Had fun with it, here's my mix.

Attachments

• Waiting On Superman Mix.mp3
    8.4 MB · Views: 20
Back