Reaper....all other multi-track software is a rip!

Just downloaded Reaper.
Hope I have to time to play with it over the weekend.
VSTi support...... :D :D :D

Hey, I tried Reaper last night and I couldn't figure something out. I want to use a VSTi or ReWire instrument like BFD to play my midi drum sequences through and be able to output the individual ReWire channels to audio files for multi track use. No matter how many new tracks I created I could only assign BFD's outputs to the midi tracks stereo outputs. How would I go about setting up Reaper so all my BFD drum channels are on individual channels? Thanks a bunch!

i think rewire support is coming but not in reaper yet. I'm still not sure how rearoute works but it may be worth looking into.

Last edited:
Projbalance said:
Hey, I tried Reaper last night and I couldn't figure something out. I want to use a VSTi or ReWire instrument like BFD to play my midi drum sequences through and be able to output the individual ReWire channels to audio files for multi track use. No matter how many new tracks I created I could only assign BFD's outputs to the midi tracks stereo outputs. How would I go about setting up Reaper so all my BFD drum channels are on individual channels? Thanks a bunch!

They have a Forum over there. You might get a better answer quicker.

Projbalance said:

http://www.documentwrite.com/reaper/stylus_rmx.htm

That should help...Im not so swift on the midi stuff but Malcolm's guide should be some assistance

I think the bottom line here is that it won't hurt you to give Reaper a shot. You go to the website reaper.fm and then go to the download page and download the full version. It is fully functional and does not stop working even after your 30 day trial is done, which means if you need an extra few days to get some cash after 30 days is up, no big deal. So, download and spend some real time with it when you have some extra time available. It's worth it.

Thanks for the help, but I was able to find a work around using ACID. It's not exactly what I want, but I'm more comfortable with the mixer in Audition, so I'd still prefer to use that.

I hear ya.I'm happy with NTrack and don't see a need to change,but I'm fascinated with Reaper,and other cheap/free software.It seems like a really cool program and comes with tons of neat plugins.
I would record a song with Reaper,but I've not been able to figure out how to copy/paste onto the timeline.I haven't looked real hard in the forum.Copy/paste editing is of paramount importance to me.I'm far too lazy to play everything through.

thats the problem Beelz

People get so used to apps where shit is hard to do that they have a hard time in reaper because its too easy

Just use regular windows commands like in any windows app to cut paste, cope whatever files into reaper's timeline

Or just drag and drop them in! While playing back even

pipelineaudio said:
thats the problem Beelz

People get so used to apps where shit is hard to do that they have a hard time in reaper because its too easy

Just use regular windows commands like in any windows app to cut paste, cope whatever files into reaper's timeline

Or just drag and drop them in! While playing back even

Dude, I just clicked on the links in your signature for the first time. You should be rewarded in some grande way(even more grande than rep points :) ) for the time that you have invested in schooling knuckleheads like myself in recording.

For those that haven't checked it out yet, do so! There is some really great stuff in there!

I just updated my hardware and bought two second hand Creamware cards (Pulsar 2 & Pulsar 2 XTC) and now that most of the dsp processing takes place in hardware a light weight multitrack program like Reaper would make an perfect companion for this kind of hardware. Now I can take some load off the hardware by doing some of the simpler single track processing (track volume envelope, gating etc.) in Reaper before each track is send out to hardware for actual mixing.

One reason why its less expensive is that it doesn't come with a wave editor. It has a setting which allows you to launch your wave editor from REAPER. It also requires an instrument to play midi. So there are some underlying architectural reasons why the price is so low. This is not a bad thing. I'm all for modular designs and in many cases they make the most sense. I personally think a wave editor is very personal and this approach was the best choice.

What impresses me the most is that it has envelopes. I could not find a package in this price range, that supports envelopes.

demirateser said:
One reason why its less expensive is that it doesn't come with a wave editor. It has a setting which allows you to launch your wave editor from REAPER.

This is no different than Vegas.

So how long do you think it'll be before he sells the underlying software and the name to some larger company and they begin to sell it for hundreds of dollars?

Projbalance said:
So how long do you think it'll be before he sells the underlying software and the name to some larger company and they begin to sell it for hundreds of dollars?

The sooner the bet for him, irrelevant for us, as it's still available to demo for free and purchase cheaply. :p

Back