Reaper....all other multi-track software is a rip!

Wow - that does look like a nice program, reguardless of price.

Simple yet effective - just looking through the online manual, I couldn't really think of any features that I use a lot that it doesn't include, intuitively at that.

I had a copy of Vegas about 5 years ago, and I loved it for its ease of use - I can definately see some similarities.

I downloaded it and started messing around with it last nite. it was pretty easy to get the hang of the basics, and it seemed more stable than what I was using before (n-track). I think I'm gonna try to do my next project in this app and see how it goes...

Hi_Flyer said:
I downloaded it and started messing around with it last nite. it was pretty easy to get the hang of the basics, and it seemed more stable than what I was using before (n-track). I think I'm gonna try to do my next project in this app and see how it goes...

I have a buddy in Phoenix who has recorded a bunch of big name bands who is using Reaper exclusively now.

Lee Flier, who is writing for one of those industry rags give Reaper a big ol' thumbs up too, and is using it exclusively now.

The developer of Reaper was a Vegas user, and most of the people that are "helping" him were Vegas users, thus, Reaper looks a lot like Vegas. It IS very easy to use, and has all the features that you need to do killer audio production.

ProTools is a bloated POS. What is nice about Reaper is that you can "hide/unhide" most tools. There are editing features in Reaper that smoke ProTools!

does it have a feature like Beat Detective? if not, is there an alternative to Beat Detective that I could use with Reaper?

Man, I really hate switching DAW programs just for the sake of switching - I'm more of a learn a tool and use it kind of guy - but this program is peaking my interest.

I might download it and give it a shot. Maybe I'll make the switch from Cubase, but I know how to use cubase (at least I know how to make it do what I want to do - there's soooo much there that I don't even touch) and I like the results from it. Why fix something if its not broke.

Either way, this looks like a killer app for a GREAT price. If they release a universal binary version for the new intel-mac's, I'd be all over it. I've got a macbook pro on the way, and I'm going to run my DAW with cubase in windows under bootcamp. I really want to make the switch to mac, but I'm not going to even try running anything under rosetta in OSX.

TuoKaerf said:
However, the editing features kinda pissed me off. I don't like the "all in one" mouse deal.

Eeek, you will not be happy with the reaper development then. It was specifically made to do the one tool editing style of vegas, instead of the multi tool, keyboard dance, mouse click extravaganza of PT/Logic/Cubendo

Hi_Flyer said:
does it have a feature like Beat Detective? if not, is there an alternative to Beat Detective that I could use with Reaper?

IMHO most of the need for using beat detective, comes from PT's extremely slow editing capabilities. Since you are not able to see waveforms in events as you move them in PT, it makes precise, quick, customer over your shoulder editing almost impossible.

Beat detective can QUICKLY get you in the ballpark, but if you are being honest, in a real band situation, beat detective creates some pretty horriffic drum artefacts. That being said its not stopping anyone, you can hear the cymbal spit and tom tom goofwadder of beat detective all over the radio.
If you are in this only to make money, beat detective is the acceptable standard and will do very well

If you care about what your stuff sounds like on the other hand, manual editing is where its at.

All that said, reaper has an audio quantize function in its infancy right now, if you right click an item youll see it...Justin could build a beat detective system in a few minutes...anyone watching reaper's development will tell you that is no exaggeration, hes that capable of a coder, but his time is spent right now in other areas of reaper, and probably leaving us users to work the details for the audio quantize out, then get back to him with it...

thats how reaper works...the developer solicits advice from the community, pretty amazing! And on a daily or hourly basis

BJW said:
I might download it and give it a shot. Maybe I'll make the switch from Cubase, but I know how to use cubase (at least I know how to make it do what I want to do - there's soooo much there that I don't even touch) and I like the results from it. Why fix something if its not broke. .

OK, I am a MAJOR REAPER enthusiast, but I will say, though reaper midi gets better roughly every nine hours or so, there are still a LOT of MIDI things in cubase where cubase SMOKES reaper...no contest

I give this lead another month or two at most with the speed of development being what it is, but as of this moment, I believe MIDI sequencists will be happier in cubase than reaper...

If your needs are mostly audio though its a no brainer. We can get you editing audio faster in reaper in less than an hour than what you can do in cubase. The users will be glad to help you out, either in forums, or in realtime chat. This is an open invitation BTW

If your needs are 50/50 audio and midi, its a tougher call

Still, if you are on cable, from the time you hit download, till the time you are fully up and running in reaper will be less than 30 seconds ( NO Im NOT kidding) the app is small enough to fit on a floppy

A note on the demo project. This is in *.ogg format, and a LOT of systems dont handle ogg very nicely.

First of all if you are a vegas or samplitude user, simply import a current project from a vegas or sam EDL, never mind the demo project

yup, reaper opens Vegas and Samplitude edls :)

Otherwise if you are having trouble with the demo project playback, now would be a GREAT time to try reaper's consolidate feature ( Ex Vegas users-this is what youve been screaming at peter and dave for for years)

1. Click: File\Consolidate/export

2. In the consolidate dialog box click the "consolidate to" dropdown and pick "WAV file output"

3. Consolidation settings: check entire project and tracks all

4. Under the output section, check all the boxes, set a directory and filename iif you wish and click "process"

5. Play with your waves :) should playback fine now

Ford Van said:
It is called "practice"! ;)

yeah, I know.

I've never actually used beat detective before, but I'm sorta interested in the possibilities... Without a doubt, I would much rather have some solid playing to work with.

pipelineaudio said:
OK, I am a MAJOR REAPER enthusiast, but I will say, though reaper midi gets better roughly every nine hours or so, there are still a LOT of MIDI things in cubase where cubase SMOKES reaper...no contest

I give this lead another month or two at most with the speed of development being what it is, but as of this moment, I believe MIDI sequencists will be happier in cubase than reaper...

If your needs are mostly audio though its a no brainer. We can get you editing audio faster in reaper in less than an hour than what you can do in cubase. The users will be glad to help you out, either in forums, or in realtime chat. This is an open invitation BTW

If your needs are 50/50 audio and midi, its a tougher call

Still, if you are on cable, from the time you hit download, till the time you are fully up and running in reaper will be less than 30 seconds ( NO Im NOT kidding) the app is small enough to fit on a floppy

On my last project, I did all of 0% using MIDI - all audio. Basically, laid out the drum parts using loops from Drums On Demand, then I played the acoustic and electric guitar parts and vocals over that, then I had a friend come in and lay bass down.

(Shameless Plug Time)
Here are some songs from my last album - done in Cubase - no need to listen really, but gives you an indication of the style/type of music I do:

Something Better

Isn't She Wonderful

I'd like to use MIDI a bit in the future, just because I know there are some really cool things you can do with it, but my focus is definately primarily audio.

Some of the things I really like about Cubase (just a few):

Tempo and metronome settings. I know these are standard in most DAW apps, but Cubase laid them out really easily.

The way it handles "looped" recording - setting up a loop for say a vocal line and being able to record it over and over again in one session. OIt's pretty easy and intuitive in Cubase, but reading the manual on the Reaper site, I found out how to do it within a minute of opening the page.

Being able to save a channel and a mixer setup. I'm going to start recording live church services for my church, and I plan on saving a mixer setup in cubase so I can just plug in and start recording. I read in the manual how to save effects channels and channel settings, but not entire mixer setups - can I do this?

Pre-send effects via effects channels in Cubase (I'm assuming this is possible in Reaper). Maybe I'm not calling this the right thing - basically the ability to hear the effect, but not the actual audio that the effect is "effecting" - like hearing the reverb from a drum track but lowering the volume of the drums w/out the volume of the reverb being affected.

I really like all the capabilities of Cubase, but on the other hand, there is tons of stuff there that I don't use. Its nice to know that I have those capabilities, but I think an app can be crippling to the creative process if there is more there than will ever be needed - I think people spend way too much time fiddling around with crap they don't really need instead of making cool music. It seems like Reaper might have just the right feature set (and then some) for what I do and would like to do.

Anyway, once my macbook pro shows up I'll boot windows and try Reaper out - sounds like it might be just right for me. Thanks for your input - very helpful.

Last edited:
BJW, I think you will be happy with the audio features and speed of use. The routing is patchbay like, truly

Bulls Hit, UAD-1 is working now in reaper for most users. So much so that I have actually put mine back in the PC

However, like RME, Mackie and propellerheads, no help has been forthcoming from UA, but just like in those situations, the genious programmer got them working in his own way.

pipelineaudio said:
Eeek, you will not be happy with the reaper development then. It was specifically made to do the one tool editing style of vegas, instead of the multi tool, keyboard dance, mouse click extravaganza of PT/Logic/Cubendo

Mouse click extravaganza? If you're somewhat competant in Pro Tools you can do most of your editing without the mouse. I just don't like having to place my mouse in certain areas of the screen over and over again to get them it to come up with the tool I wanna use.

pipelineaudio said:
IMHO most of the need for using beat detective, comes from PT's extremely slow editing capabilities. Since you are not able to see waveforms in events as you move them in PT, it makes precise, quick, customer over your shoulder editing almost impossible.

Beat detective can QUICKLY get you in the ballpark, but if you are being honest, in a real band situation, beat detective creates some pretty horriffic drum artefacts. That being said its not stopping anyone, you can hear the cymbal spit and tom tom goofwadder of beat detective all over the radio.
If you are in this only to make money, beat detective is the acceptable standard and will do very well

If you care about what your stuff sounds like on the other hand, manual editing is where its at.

All that said, reaper has an audio quantize function in its infancy right now, if you right click an item youll see it...Justin could build a beat detective system in a few minutes...anyone watching reaper's development will tell you that is no exaggeration, hes that capable of a coder, but his time is spent right now in other areas of reaper, and probably leaving us users to work the details for the audio quantize out, then get back to him with it...

thats how reaper works...the developer solicits advice from the community, pretty amazing! And on a daily or hourly basis

I agree that Reaper is pretty cool for a free/very cheap program. However, it does show compared to the features I'm used to using.

Saying that users of beat detective are out to make money is a totally unfounded statement. Not being able to make edits fast in front of customers because you use Pro Tools is bull. I find Pro Tools to be the hands down winner of ease to edit audio, and fairly accurate at that.

It comes down to what you're used to using, and what works well for you. However, making unfounded statements and mistruths about a program just because you have some beef with it is immature.

TuoKaerf lets let science be the judge. Put up some normal editing tasks that we have to do around here. I will spend half an hour training someone who has never used REAPER before how to use it, then you guys race. See who gets done first. WHat area of the globe do you live in?

BTW

It comes down to what you're used to using, and what works well for you. However, making unfounded statements and mistruths about a program just because you have some beef with it is immature.

unless you were working for Digi in the pre PT days Ive been using PT as long as or longer than you

yes true, get a move on. it's a really cool piece of software written be an even cooler guy, imo. the speed of the updates up to this point has been unreal and unheard of when it comes to similar software.

Back