Firepod owners discussion thread!

franksquid

I'm really suprised that there is not tons of Firepod discussions on the board. I've owned my Firepod for a few weeks now and its been great so far.

I'll start off by discussing the Firepods biggest liability...its lack of ADAT interface. But hey, what do you want for $600!? Our only way to add more inputs is through SPDIF and there are only a handful of affordable pres with digital outs. Not to mention that if you're going to spend more then $600 on a digital pre then you could just buy another Firepod and have 16 decent pres and 20 simultanous tracks at your disposal. Well thats the plan anyway, I don't think that Presonus released the dual drivers yet, I could be mistaken though.

Right now I am recording my sons Hardcore band. Guitar, bass, drums and a singer. I really want to get a decent live sound for them so that they have a CD. Truthfully, I've tried to get them together for some recording sessions and between all the BS and girlfriends its near impossible to do! Lets NOT get into a "the politics of bands" discussion...we could start an entire website for that! ;) I need to track the WHOLE band at once.

I've recorded a few practices with the following...

1-Beta 58-kick
2-Beyer M201-snare
3-SM81-OH(R)
4-SM81-OH(L)
5-Senn e604s submixed-toms
6-DI-bass
7-Beyer M88-guitar
8-SM57-vox

It would be really nice to have more inputs, so I went to SamAsh and bought a Dbx386 they had on closeout. They ony had ONE left in the rack so I took it. Wouldn't you know that the digital outs are NO good! I messed with it for a few hours last night and again this morning. After a trip back to Sam Ash one of the pro-audio guys confirmed my suspition! Shit! Now I'll have to wait....and you know how I hate to wait....so this is my therapy...typing this damn thread. :p He asked me to come back monday and he'll locate another unit for me or he suggested another Firepod which brings us full circle. No drivers yet but I "hear" that they are to be released within the next few weeks.

Man, 16 pres would REALLY be sweet and for ONLY $1200. Lets see...

1-Beta 58-kick
2-Beyer M201-snare
3-SM81-OH(R)
4-SM81-OH(L)
5-Senn e604-tom
6-Senn e604-tom
7-Senn e604-tom
8-Beyer M88-bass
9-DI-bass
10-SM57-guitar
11-Senn e604-guitar
12-SM57-vox
13-Beyer M400-vox
14-
15-
16-

Damn, I'll need more mics!!! :rolleyes:

So, how are YOU guys doing with your Firepods? Anybody using S/PDIF preamps yet? BTW, I spdif'ed in a CD player and it worked great.

i've had mine for like 2 months now.

www.myspace.com/diminishingreturns

those were the first 3 songs i've done with it. i've got some much better stuff now. i'm still fairly new to being able to have so many different drum tracks, so i'm not experienced with equing. the stuff i've been mixing for the last week or si is sounding way better.

i really want something better than cubase le though...

AvoidTheClap said:
i've had mine for like 2 months now.

www.myspace.com/diminishingreturns

those were the first 3 songs i've done with it. i've got some much better stuff now. i'm still fairly new to being able to have so many different drum tracks, so i'm not experienced with equing. the stuff i've been mixing for the last week or si is sounding way better.

i really want something better than cubase le though...

Ahh, an emo band from LI. :D

I really don't think that your software is holding you back. If you are looking for differnt effects and/or compressors then you can download a ton of free VST plug ins. Room treatments like hanging a carpet/foam/rigid fiberglass behind the drums or a good vocal mic would be the first place I would start to get a good sound.

One other option that I've just come across is the ART DI/O. Its an AD/DA that you can hook up an analog mixing board and send it to your S/PDIF ins on your Firepod. That would give you analog EQ at the source and may help your drum sound a little. As a matter of fact, I think that is a much better/affordable option then a pre with digital outs. There is also the TC M300 digital effects processor with digital (spdif) outs. Basicly you can turn off the effects and use it as an AD/DA converter with the added bonus of effects! The Art unit is $160 and the TC M300 is $200.

vigormusic said:
are you limited with LE, what don't you like about it?

only using 2 effects at once.

i switched to sx 2.2 today. its obviously more powerful, but i'm having mono/stereo issues with using the tracks recorded in LE there. & plus it only exports mp3's at 128.

franksquid said:
Ahh, an emo band from LI. :D

I really don't think that your software is holding you back. If you are looking for differnt effects and/or compressors then you can download a ton of free VST plug ins. Room treatments like hanging a carpet/foam/rigid fiberglass behind the drums or a good vocal mic would be the first place I would start to get a good sound.

One other option that I've just come across is the ART DI/O. Its an AD/DA that you can hook up an analog mixing board and send it to your S/PDIF ins on your Firepod. That would give you analog EQ at the source and may help your drum sound a little. As a matter of fact, I think that is a much better/affordable option then a pre with digital outs. There is also the TC M300 digital effects processor with digital (spdif) outs. Basicly you can turn off the effects and use it as an AD/DA converter with the added bonus of effects! The Art unit is $160 and the TC M300 is $200.

i'll try the hanging stuff behind the drums thing. thanks.

& we are NOT emo ;)

AvoidTheClap said:
i'll try the hanging stuff behind the drums thing. thanks.

& we are NOT emo ;)

but you ARE from LI! :p

OK, I couldn't stand it anymore so I bought the TC M300. Its limited to 48k 24bit but thats where I record anyway...96k makes my system a little "sticky". I needed a cheap effects processor for the PA so this is a win/win situation. I submixed the toms through my Soundcraft F1 mixer into the TC M300 and used the spidif out into the Firepod. I'll be damned if the toms don't sound pretty f-ing good. The new Evans hydraulic heads helped a lot too, Ill bet. The effects on the TC M300 are a little thin but usable, Im not a big effects guy so if there are 1 or 2 good settings on there then I'll be happy.

We'll record the kids band this week, heres the plan...

1-Beyer M400-vox
2-Beta 58-kick
3-Beyer M201-snare
4-SM81-OH(R)
5-SM81-OH(L)
6-Beyer M88-bass
7-DI-bass
8-SM57-guitar
S/PDIF (L)-Senn e604-tom
S/PDIF (L)-Senn e604-tom = submixed
S/PDIF (L)-Senn e604-tom /
S/PDIF (R)-Senn e604-guitar

that should get pretty good results. Then maybe we'll overdub the vocal and guitar tracks to fatten things up a little. OK, its time for bed. I gotta get up early and pick up a case of rigid fiberglass and cover it before we record! :p

peace

How would I hook up an A/D converter with the firepod? I was thinking I would buy an expensive converter but I think I'll just use that money on an RME Fireface 800 interface instead so I can use more than 2 external preamps.That's my big problem with the firepod, only 2 line ins....which is fine for most things except drums and excepting full band live recordings.

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
How would I hook up an A/D converter with the firepod? I was thinking I would buy an expensive converter but I think I'll just use that money on an RME Fireface 800 interface instead so I can use more than 2 external preamps.That's my big problem with the firepod, only 2 line ins....which is fine for most things except drums and excepting full band live recordings.

S/PDIF is the only digital in on the Firepod.

If you're serious about the big dollar converters and pres then go with the RME instead of the Firepod.

We should keep the fingers crossed... I emailed Presonus, and they told me that they are working on new drivers to solve the pre upgrade problem with the great FP.

JuliánFernández said:
We should keep the fingers crossed... I emailed Presonus, and they told me that they are working on new drivers to solve the pre upgrade problem with the great FP.

pre upgrade problem?
please explain.

I have my 2nd Firepod just sitting here waiting for the drivers. When I bought it about a month back I thought the new driver allowed for this... I haven't tried yet to see though, but it looks like people are saying it's not out yet. So far, I haven't done a session with it that's required more than 8 tracks simultaneously, so it hasn't been a deal. I'm looking forward to it though.

How do you think it will handle the audio though? 400mbps transfer doesn't seem all that fast if you're tracking 16 audio tracks at 24/96.

I've heard that it will eventually allow 4 firepods to be daisy chained. I wonder if you'd have to daisy chain 2 of them at a time to different firewire ports? Would that then allow 800mbps xfer rate? (I'm not all that bright w/ my computers, so I'm not sure if that's a possiblity or not :) )

I ditched the Cubase software though. I really don't like that program much. I use Tracktion instead, just personal preference. I'm looking forward to T2 that should be coming out any day now.

I just snagged Mackie Control off ebay, so I think once that arrives, T2 should be out and the new presonus driver should be out, and then I'll be able to stop worrying about my setup and start recording some tunes!

just to add another postive review for the firepod - i've used mine on both pc and mac without a hitch. i love it!

The Firepod

I just got my Firepod five days ago and love it so far. Before I upgraded, I was using a Delta 44 audio interface and a Behringer mixer. For years I was limited to recording four tracks simultaneously; this was always a huge problem. The warmth of the Firepod's preamps compared to the Delta 44/Behringer is jaw-dropping. The best part is that it can only get better as time goes on by experimenting. I was under the impression that the drivers for daisy chained Firepods were already out. I am anxious to get a second unit so I can truly have all the inputs I'll ever need at my disposal. Does anyone have an idea of when the drivers are due out?

Here's a test recording I did three days ago:

It tickles me that this is how my first recording with this piece of equipment came out. This is me on guitar, bass, drums, and the ten seconds of "growling".

FattMusiek said:
I just got my Firepod five days ago and love it so far. Before I upgraded, I was using a Delta 44 audio interface and a Behringer mixer. For years I was limited to recording four tracks simultaneously; this was always a huge problem. The warmth of the Firepod's preamps compared to the Delta 44/Behringer is jaw-dropping. The best part is that it can only get better as time goes on by experimenting. I was under the impression that the drivers for daisy chained Firepods were already out. I am anxious to get a second unit so I can truly have all the inputs I'll ever need at my disposal. Does anyone have an idea of when the drivers are due out?

Here's a test recording I did three days ago:

It tickles me that this is how my first recording with this piece of equipment came out. This is me on guitar, bass, drums, and the ten seconds of "growling".

Thats a great, FUN tune, nice job! :D

The funny thing about the using two Firepods is that Presonus's website says NOTHING about being able to use 2 or more units at the same time. However, there are quite a few SMALLER on-line retailers that say things like...

"The FIREPOD will ship with Steinberg's Cubase LE 48-track 24-bit/96K recording software, and is also compatible with both ASIO- and WDM-based applications including Cubase SX, Nuendo, Deck, Peak and Logic software. The additional FireWire port makes it possible to daisy chain multiple FIREPODs together, creating the possibility of additional audio channels at 24-bit/96k."

but the LARGER more up-to-date retailers that may have better communications with Presonus have ads that say something like...

"The Firepod also includes stereo headphone output on the front panel, as well as mix control to balance monitoring levels between mixed input and main output signals for zero-latency monitoring. Two channels of SPDIF input and output as well as MIDI input and output are also included."

no mention of daisy chaining Firepods. Presonus may have mentioned the daisy chaining in an early press release and then changed it later in order to work on the drivers a little longer. ALL of this is only speculation on my part. :rolleyes:

in the meanwhile, an inexpensive AD/DA convertor and your existing analog mixer is a great way to add two more channels with a sub mix. :)

I use 2 firepods at once...I don't know if the patch is available to the public yet, but someone at guitar center new a friend who got if for me. As far as I know, that's the only way to successfully get that patch as of now. (knowing somebody with a connection that is)

Firepod Users MUST READ!

I have been using the firepod for a while successfully and love it. I downloaded this SP2 fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222 last night.

On presonus' site they say it helps if your sync light stays red. I had no problem with that but decided to DL it anyway. Anyways, it dramatically improved the firepod's performance cutting a CPU usage of %80 for a full mix down to %40. I highly recommend it.

Strave said:
I have been using the firepod for a while successfully and love it. I downloaded this SP2 fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222 last night.

On presonus' site they say it helps if your sync light stays red. I had no problem with that but decided to DL it anyway. Anyways, it dramatically improved the firepod's performance cutting a CPU usage of %80 for a full mix down to %40. I highly recommend it.
Good find! Installing now...

Back