What Interface Do You Use?

I'm running an MOTU 2408mkII between the computer and an Alesis HD24. All clocked with a Lucid GenX6. This gives me a 26 channel sound card.

Not that it's likely much use to others but my set up is a bit different to the usual sound card.

I have a Yamaha DM1000 digital mixer (48 channels on 3 layers) which I use for input. I've equipped the mixer with 2 MY16AT expansion cards which give me a total of 32 ADAT inputs and outputs. These are connected to an M-Audio Profire Lightbridge interface then into the computer via Firewire.

The interfacing is completely duplex but, with only 48 channels on the mixer, obviously I can't have all 32x32 going at once. However, the whole thing can be configured with presets so, at the push of a button, I can jump between set ups. Typically, I have 16 inputs to the computer (and it's rare to even use that many at the same time) and 32 outputs back to the mixer.

My actual mixing is "in the box" but bringing all recorded tracks back into the mixer allows me to set up customised monitoring for the headphones of the musicians--I have 8 auxes available, all switchable pre/post. All routing is very flexible--for example, I can feed my headphones at the desk with anything from an individual channel to a whole rough mix, to listening to any of the headphone mixes.

There's also a compressor-limiter on every channel--I don't track using compression but I do keep a hard limiter on in a "just in case" mode so if one transient would clip, an otherwise good take is protected. Hopefully the gain structure is such that the limiter is never hit but it's comforting to know it's there if somebody decided to yell. Finally, there are 4 inbuilt effects units--again, I track dry but these can be routed to the monitoring if somebody asks.

Frankly, this system architecture owes more to the live sound work I do than to my home studio needs. I rarely record even 16 tracks at a time, much less 32. And with mixing ITB, having all tracks separately into the mixer is a bit of a luxury.

But it can be fun!

Bobbsy, do you ever experience problems with the M-Audio Lightbridge? I know quite a lot of people that hate them because of the claim that their drivers are horrible. And do you get direct monitoring with the Lightbridge?

Also, have you considered getting a PCI solution like an RME HDSP 9652 or something similar?

I've done quite a bit of work at a commercial studio here in town that uses a DM2000 with a couple of RME HDSP cards and that combination works great. Really great. And you can't go wrong with the RME drivers. Rock solid.

I think the DM consoles are really versatile and powerful. They don't sound bad either. I am fond of them for sure.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
The US1800 is fantastic, but it would be perfect if:
1. They had at least 8 outputs, one for each of the pre amped channels (like the firestudio)
2. You could daisy chain 2 units together. I know you don't usually need more than 14 channels at once, but if you're in a large ish live band situation you'll run out of inputs real fast. 7,8 mics on drums, a couple guitarists, a bassist, mics for vocals on 2,3 people, keys, etc. etc.

If they sort this out (and not jack up the price too much), it wouldn't make sense to get anything else (in that rice range).

The US1800 is fantastic, but it would be perfect if:
1. They had at least 8 outputs, one for each of the pre amped channels (like the firestudio)
2. You could daisy chain 2 units together. I know you don't usually need more than 14 channels at once, but if you're in a large ish live band situation you'll run out of inputs real fast. 7,8 mics on drums, a couple guitarists, a bassist, mics for vocals on 2,3 people, keys, etc. etc.

If they sort this out (and not jack up the price too much), it wouldn't make sense to get anything else (in that rice range).

Hells yeah to that!!!

Bobbsy, do you ever experience problems with the M-Audio Lightbridge? I know quite a lot of people that hate them because of the claim that their drivers are horrible. And do you get direct monitoring with the Lightbridge?

Also, have you considered getting a PCI solution like an RME HDSP 9652 or something similar?

I've done quite a bit of work at a commercial studio here in town that uses a DM2000 with a couple of RME HDSP cards and that combination works great. Really great. And you can't go wrong with the RME drivers. Rock solid.

I think the DM consoles are really versatile and powerful. They don't sound bad either. I am fond of them for sure.

Cheers :)

Touch wood, my Lightbridge has been rock solid since I bought it--about two and half years now. I'm pedantic about following the instructions regarding no hot plugging of the firewire and also the switch on order--dunno if that makes a difference but I've had no problems at all.

I used to use a PCI solution, in my case the Frontier Design Dakota which also worked really well. However, I took the plunge to go to a laptop for DAW work and that pushed me to the Lightbridge. (The move to laptop was made due to the live sound and location stuff that I do...I got tired of lugging a tower PC along with me. If it was just home studio I'd certainly stick to the desktop.)

I'm with you on the DM series...they do an amazing job, both in terms of flexibility and sound quality. Their pre amps are much better than some of the more recent Yamaha efforts--and I've actually (once or twice) managed to use all 48 inputs in a live setting--with a 19 inch wide mixer! Not something I do by choice--but the ability has won me a few jobs where space was restricted.

Bob

M-Audio Project Mix, 8 reasonable quality pre's, once it's set up it's pretty solid no real complaints. Bought second hand with Protools 8.

I am planning upgrading to Presonus 16:4:2 amd Protools 9 (full not crossgrade) I'd welcome any comments anyone who has had a look at this setup.

Well, looks like I'll be getting the tascam on wednesday with a pro vla ii...
be prepared jimmy
i might have more questions for you :p

Cool man. I'll be here. You are going to need an outboard preamp if you want to use the VLA in your input chain with a mic. :D

I use a Phonic Firefly 302 USB.

The whole thing works great - except for the headphone output, which has a miniscule underlying hum.
All recording aspects are nice and clean however and just about zero latency (really!).
To top it all off the package included Cubase LE and came accross the counter at $165.
As you will gather I'm not running a full on multitrack operation - but for a live band that does a little recording, the package is just about perfect at the price!

Chiming in just 'cause I can, I reckon.

With the desktop...I'm using a rock solid Delta 1010, some KRK Rokit5 monitors and running Reaper and Ableton Live 8 for DAWs.
With the laptop...I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, M-Audio BX5a monitors and running Reaper and Ableton Live 8 for DAWs.

Very happy with both. :)

Back