Soundcard Help

The E-MU 1820 has far more features than the other cards mentioned. All mic preamps sound different, you use what you prefer. The 1820 IS made by Creative, I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. I know someone with a 1820 and his demos sounded very good, very clean and quiet. Other than the low mic preamp gain (40 db), perhaps the 1820 is a better choice for you. Go for it.

Yeah and I play games on my PC too. I have heard that the 1820 is bad for gamers and DVD watchers. But I assume that they mean in terms of 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound connctivity. The 1820 only outputs stereo. That's fine for me because I do not plan on playing games in 5.1 or 7.1 and I don't plan on watching DVD's at all. Currently I have a soundblaster live 5.1...and I don't even use the 5.1 for games or anything. My headphones are configured to "stereo headphones" in windows. So I guess I am not missing anything. So, where once it scared me when I heard the 1820 was bad for games...I think they only meant in terms of 5.1 and 7.1....which i don't use anyway.

1820 it is.

Good luck with the 1820. Remember to invest in a 2nd hard drive to record the audio to and playback from. Recording audio on only one drive will guarantee glitching and snap/crackle/pops in your audio. Eventually you should consider having one dedicated computer for recording and one for internet & games... expensive, but it simplifies things.

Yeah, thanks. I do have 2 hard drives...one which I dedicate to music/ recorded files. Does make things easier.

Monkey Allen said:
A question on that...if the 1820 has mic preamps on the xlr and 1/4" inputs (and power), it would be useless to use an external preamp 1st, before connecting my mic to the 1820 right? So I suppose my final question before I go and order this is...are the preamps/ phanotm power on these kinds of sound cards (emu 1820) good quality ones? I'm guessing they would be.

You can use external preamps if you wish and just route them through the line inouts. Or you can use the built-in preamps.

I just looked up some reviews about the E-MU 1820. It is made by creative (which I knew) and apparently it is just an Audigy with a few extra tweaks. That does not sound very encouraging at all. What do you guys reckon?
The Audigy is nowhere in the same league as the 1820. Trust me on this. Where on earth did you get *that* from?????

I have had audigy sound cards, which I will never again touch, and an 1820m. Very different beasts, very different quality. The convertors on the 1820 are excellent for the money.

And fwiw, I play games all the time through my 1820m. Yes, it does not support advanced gaming features, but for standard game audio, it does well.

I read it in a forum that the Creative company had bought out the E-MU company, and then proceeded to dumb down the products...putting audigy type converters into the 1820. The 1820 samples at 92hz or something and the 1820M does it at 192hz...something like that. Anyway, just what I heard.

I just hope I get great sound with the 1820

Monkey Allen said:
I read it in a forum that the Creative company had bought out the E-MU company, and then proceeded to dumb down the products...putting audigy type converters into the 1820. The 1820 samples at 92hz or something and the 1820M does it at 192hz...something like that. Anyway, just what I heard.

I just hope I get great sound with the 1820

Well, then you heard wrong. very wrong.

While it is true that Creative bought EMU, afaik they are seperate business units. The Emu line is NOT the audigy line, and they absolutely, positively do not share the same convertors.

Back