So Many DAWs So few Tutorials

Here's the answer. The manufacturers realized they were making manuals that were in essence, books. They were making no money for it. The manuals are produced much in the same was any other book is; perfect bound and although in black and white, still quite expensive. Today, you can find PDF files online through your manufacturer information in the packaging. The second way is to look online on Amazon for third party books. You can also find these at Barnes and Noble or other book stores. In addition, YouTube has tutorials. Just type in any subject or application or model name and number and type in tutorial. Then use RealPlayer to download the videos. Or just study them. I hope this helps. Good Luck,
Rod Norman

Does anyone know why these DAW software companies won't produce a side by side tutorials? Would anyone want to venture a guess?

Any opinions on which is the best DAW with the best instructions?

???????????????

Here is the coffee table in my studio. :D

Sadly, I think "Mr. Objective" would have been highly confused with BOTH books AND a Sharpie on table. Had their been a Hi-Lighter as well--brain fart on the table for his eyes! Eeeek! Also wonder if he really knows what "oxymoron" means and if he did, would he change his name or continue being a full-fledged moron?:facepalm:

We shall see in a week and 3 days. He was only banned for two. Hopefully his fire will be subdued by then. This will either be a case of someone learning a lesson, or a complete explosion. Up to him to decide and I hope the latter is not the case.

We can only wait and see...

We shall see in a week and 3 days. He was only banned for two. Hopefully his fire will be subdued by then. This will either be a case of someone learning a lesson, or a complete explosion. Up to him to decide and I hope the latter is not the case.

We can only wait and see...

That was lenient Jimmy... from what I see his sole contribution here is starting threads just like this one where he can get cantankerous and whiny. Just a troll. Hit him harder next time, is my advice... :D

I'm an 'easy hammer' guy. :)

I also enjoy a good meltdown at times. lol

It like driving by a car accident. You don't wish for mayhem, but you have to look anyway... There could be other circumstances that made him angry. IDK. Only time will tell.

I would rather help someone find their way, than to remove this particular opportunity to do so. The jury is out here.. He only need to show what he is all about when he returns.

Back to my original questions...

Does anyone know why these DAW software companies won't produce a side by side tutorials? Would anyone want to venture a guess?

Can anyone recommend a stable DAW, with good native plugins, good workflow that has a good side by side tutorial?

I hope nobody gets butt hurt by this post.

If you have a stable computer they are all stable. They couldn't remain in business were it not true. Most, if not all, have thorough instruction manuals. There is plenty of video instruction available on the web. I doubt seriously if any offer the side by side thing you are inquiring about.

Back to my original questions...

Can anyone recommend a stable DAW, with good native plugins, good workflow that has a good side by side tutorial?

I hope nobody gets butt hurt by this post.

Reaper... you'll love it.:thumbs up:

*pokes sleeping bear with stick*

If you have a stable computer they are all stable. They couldn't remain in business were it not true. Most, if not all, have thorough instruction manuals. There is plenty of video instruction available on the web. I doubt seriously if any offer the side by side thing you are inquiring about.

Yes, the Mac OS and XP and 7 are stable and easy to use. The only DAW that I have seen that seems to get very few negative reviews is Studio One. Mixcraft is easy to use but it crashes a lot and when you add plug ins it gets worse. Audition is having problems since the upgrade as are many of the leading DAW that sell for under $500 bucks.

It takes so long to learn one and once you master it and then find out it's unstable when you are the needed plugins you are back at square one and then you have to unlearn it. I don't see why a navigational tutorial would be such a big deal. Having to go to YouTube and watch some amateur video hoping to find a simple answer is unacceptable. I would pick a guitar that plays like 10 and sounds like a 6 before I would pick a quitar that sounds like a 10 and plays like a 5. A DAW is a tool/instrument in the music making process. Ease of use is most important to me. Searching for work arounds and trouble shooting is not make music nor should it ever be part of the process.

Actually if DAWs meant the needs of producers there would be an industry standard and right now there are a lot of DAWs and a lot of problems.

You are totally missing the point man. The DAW's are not unstable. The system they run on is the source of the problem. That is why you hear so much negative comments about DAW's. Especially the expensive ones. Your PC or MAC must be able to handle the software. A PC off the shelf will likely need to be optimized to run correctly. And it may not be powerfull enough anyway, depending on what you are throwing at it.

This is why what you read is not true. Because it is not the DAW's fault.

Yes, the Mac OS and XP and 7 are stable and easy to use. The only DAW that I have seen that seems to get very few negative reviews is Studio One. Mixcraft is easy to use but it crashes a lot and when you add plug ins it gets worse. Audition is having problems since the upgrade as are many of the leading DAW that sell for under $500 bucks.

It takes so long to learn one and once you master it and then find out it's unstable when you are the needed plugins you are back at square one and then you have to unlearn it. I don't see why a navigational tutorial would be such a big deal. Having to go to YouTube and watch some amateur video hoping to find a simple answer is unacceptable. I would pick a guitar that plays like 10 and sounds like a 6 before I would pick a quitar that sounds like a 10 and plays like a 5. A DAW is a tool/instrument in the music making process. Ease of use is most important to me. Searching for work arounds and trouble shooting is not make music nor should it ever be part of the process.

Actually if DAWs meant the needs of producers there would be an industry standard and right now there are a lot of DAWs and a lot of problems.

I hope you find the perfect DAW. It is hardware/software and find the capabilities/money really are great. Maybe this is just too complex for you and that may be the problem. These DAWs are not media players and it is a complex process.

I'm not trying to be argumentative because I really do have better things to do than argue, but I've used every DAW that you have mentioned and never had a bit of trouble. This leads me to believe that perhaps the computer that you're using is either under powered or not optimized for audio recording. Check your computer.

It's probably not even a computer problem. You seem to want to know how to do every little thing with a DAW without learning. Do you really think that we all installed our DAW of choice and knew all the ins, outs and inbetweens immediately? I'm willing to bet there are people that still look at the manual every now and then even after years of using their DAW. I know I do occasionally.

A DAW, like any other program, tool, art, craft, hobby, needs time and patience to learn and if everything is still screwwy after that, then maybe you should choose another recording medium. Portable/StandAlone DAW or something.

REAPER | User Guide Reaper's Manual/User Guide is a fantastic, in depth, explanation of everything you will need to know about the DAW. All DAW's have something like this or they have a HELP function built in where you can actually type and search for answers.

As for the plugins that come with DAW, they're all different but they all achieve the same things. REAPlugs look plain and simple but they are a whole lot more than that. I've read you saying before that they are rubbish. You are more than wrong. Sure they look butt ugly but you don't really need anything other than those. Everything is there you will need to work with. If you're looking for the magic plugins with the great presets for fantastic sounds then you've shit your pot full. They don't exist.

You should pick a DAW, spend time with it, learn how to use it, consult the manual if you can't find what it is you want to do. If you have any knowledge at all you shouldn't really need a manual to get going. I never did, I used common sense and when I wanted to know something I couldn't find myself I looked it up.

If you still insist on this whole looking for the Holy Grail of DAW's and are willing to eternally be utterly disappointed then you may as well get one of these babies! Comes with it's own microphone, hardwired, and all good to go.

fpt14421-mn-3808.JPG

Back