omni or delta

hubb_99

i am looking at the m-audio omni studio, but then i got to looking at the delta 44 and the delta 66. what i am wondering what is the difference? I know the stats on them, but what i really want to know is when it comes down to recording, how many tracks can i record at the same time. i need to be able to record 5 or 6 at a time and have them on seperate tracks, i just don't know which one will get me the best results and the most tracks.

The OmniStudio must work with either the Delta 44 or 66. The two latter ones are actual soundcards. They each have 4 inputs/outputs

The OmniStudio is not a soundcard. It's a device that allows you to "record, monitor and mix" your stuff. It includes (among other things) two mic preamps.

What you probably need (if you want to go with M-Audio) is a Delta 1010, which has 10 inputs/outputs. There are other brands that will offer 8 inputs/outputs.

but when i was looking at the m-audio stuff on musician's friend, the delta 44 and the delta 66 each came with their own breakout box, but the omni studio package comes with a delta card and the delta i/o mixer/pre-amp, what i am wondering is; which would be the better set-up. which would let me record more tracks at once? I'm not sure if I need the mixer and the pre-amps of the omni, i would probably run everything through mixers and pre-amps anyway, but it would nice to just plug and play.
i know the delta 1010 is the ideal setup but i don't have $600+ to spend on it i would like to stay with something around $400 or under, plus i don't think i need to record ten tracks simultaneously, i really only need five. it would be nice to have the capability to, but for the price...

Neither will allow you to record more tracks than the other. You fail to understand the system. The Omni Studio package is a Delta 66 soundcard + the breakout box.

Yes it is true the Delta 66 card iteself when bough alone has its own breakout box but this is far more limited than the Omni breakout box. The Omni breakout box has two mic inputs with phatom power which are needed if you are going to use mics. It also has many other features like FX sends, monitor outs headphone outs with volume controls and useful thing like "pad" settings one some on the input channels which dampen the level of the signal if it is a very hot signal.

The Delta 66 card is a 4 analogue in 4 analogue out plus spdif. Hence the limit of tracks you can record at one time with either card is 4 (we assume you arent using the spdif function) because the soundcard itself only has 4 input channel. All the Omni breakout box does i give you more options as regards the TYPE on input plus a few other feastures which I have mentioned.

If you buy the Delta card a alone you will need to buy a separate mixer/DI box if your mics require phantom power etc...

So either way assume 4 tracks at once. TBO If you want to record drums, vocal and guitar well you may have to get a substantially better system with far more inputs and outputs esp if you are uing mics to mic everything. Hence you are realyl looking at something along the lines of the Aardvard Q10 10in 10 out with mic preamps on every input.

ok, thanks for clearing that up about the delta stuff.
now if i had the delta omni couldn't i do this. use the two pre- amp inputs for guitar and vocals, then for the drums either use the other inputs using just two mics carefully placed with preamps, or use a mixer connected to the remaining two inputs and use a bunch of mics (for the snare, bass, cymbals etc.) and mix them all before they even get the breakout box. it's probably not the greatest set-up but it might work.

that is exactly what you could do and indeed many people will have a simlilar setup. the thing you need to ask though is that for the price of an external mixer or preamps you could perhaps get a card like the Delta Omni with more ins/outs. I think someone has already mentioned the Hoontech C-Port.

Alchemist3k,
once again, you impress the hell out of me with the delta/omnistudio explanation.
hub,
i bought the delta 66/omnistudio package and think its the greatest thing. but it took alot of people in this forum to smack me over the head with it about 100 times before i got it hooked up right and to understand how it works. of course, when it comes to understanding directions, just call me corky the clown. but now that its up and running, its great.
the finished products that you can make have excellent quality.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/alternative/spacedye/
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/292/andy_marchione.html

As Alchemist does touch on the Delta 66 card does have S/PDIF which means if you but that you could get a pre amp like the DBX 386 and record using the S/PDIF and get 6 tracks at once.
Ive decied to go with the Delta 66 Omni studio package and just spend some extra money to record drums seperately at a professional studio. Saves me from buying the Delta 1010, and extra preamps and mics for the drums. Maybe that might be a better option for you. Also note that you'll have to get extra pre amps if you want to record more than two trades on the omni studio (M-Audio dont reccoment plugging a mic or instrument into the omni studio unless you use of pre amp, which ofcourse you can do for the first 2 tracks)

Can someone explain a little more what the s/pdif is exactly. I think that I read somewhere that they are inputs that use RCA hook-ups. But I'm not very sure on that.

I think I will probably go with the Omni, I believe that with a little more work and creative mixing that it will be able to perfrom all the recording and mixing tasks that I need. But for the money I
think it's prefect for me.

this is probably a stupid post but i'm going to go ahead and do it anyway. Is it possible to record from two soundcards at the same time? Let me expalin a little more. If I get the Omni then I would have 4 tracks simulaneously plus the s/pdif. Now say I left my old sound card in and then I could record a single track into it, while using the omni then I could have like 7 tracks. I just don't know if I could get away with that our if it would cause conflicts and such.
like I said probably a stupid idea.

Curious

Having already bought a 1010 but was considering buying the Omni i was curious as to where the idea was to use this as a replacement for an mixer or in addition to the mixer? This being as it says on the spec can emulate an in-line or split console mixer??

What gives?

It can emulate a very small mixer, as it only has 2 preamps...but has has the features of most small 4 bus mixers such as aux channels, effects send/return, headphone outs, etc......

I wouldnt go from a 1010 to a Omni.....

Sorry, more questions

Wow, great explanations on this thread. Thank you to you guys in the know for sharing your knowledge and helping the rest of us figure this stuff out. So, here's my questions:

1. In light of what's already been said, If I already have a decent mixer with pre-amps/auxes/etc. (mackie 1202), and I'm only needing 4 audio inputs, would there be much use with getting the Omnistudio as opposed to just buying a Delta on it's own?

2. Is there any way to get the Omni-studio with the Delta 44 instead of the Delta 66? (I have no need/use for spdif.)

3. Has anybody even seen or heard or know anything about the M-Audio Quattro? Is it anygood? Does it work?

Again, thanks for sharing the know-how.

-shack

1. I agree with gia

2. You can buy the Omni separately with the 44, but it will cost you more than buying the Omni Studio package...go figure.....

3. heard of it and if USB is your only option, Id recommend it...but since you can use a PCI card (like the Delta 44) thats the best way to go....

I think your Mackie straight into a Delta 44 would do you a great job....

let me ask, do u have the Mackie VLZ?......

Unfortunately, I've had this trusty little 1202 since the early days of mackie, so no: it's not vlz.

I do have a 1402-VLZ but my little 1202 just stays in my room for my recording purposes. I know a vlz would be better, but this works for me all right.

Thanks for the posts, because I was seriously thinking about the Omnio studio, but I'd also been thinking that a delta 44 might do the trick for me with my 1202.

I'm currently using a UA-100 as my audio interface, and it does really well for me. That's why I was really interested in the Quattro because it would give me 4 ins and outs.

It doesn't really matter either way at the moment, because I have no $$! :)

-shack

hubb, yes you can use two cards together, but usually keeping them in sync is a hair puller....Theoretically, I guess it can be done, but I havent heard of anyone getting 2 different soundcards synced to record simultaneosly.....

If you think about it you can sync up to 4 Deltas in one system with ease thanks to Delta Control Panel. That would be 16 in 16 out..... now that is very temping when you consider how much a 16in 16 out card would cost! *a plan is forming.....*:D

hell knows why anyone woudl need that many ins/outs.... only an SSL mixer would have that many buss groups anyway.:(

Questions!

Alright, I am currently going to buy a delta 44, I was going to get a delta 66, but the store people said I only needed the s/pdif for digital recorders and dats or something...? not even too sure, but I bassically realized I didn't need it.

Tell me if my logic is practical. I want to plug my mic into a preamp and then straight to the delta 44 (with no mixer...?) Also I'm planning n getting some Mackie monitors, and plan on routing those straight to the delta 44... Someone stated the omni works for monitors...does this mean I can't plug them straight to my delta 44???

Alright, this is bassically the plan. I'll proabably get a keyboard too, so aslong as the s/pdif aint needed for that, I'm planning on using my soundblaster midi port for that...?

Ok! These are my only real concerns... Someone please answer, I'd like to know if my ideologies are gonna lead me too a dead end. Thanks!

Back