Monitor Suggestions

steveaustin

$1000.00 is my limit. Looking for active or passive monitors w/ amp for PC based recording. By now I'm totally undecided by all the info I've seen.

Get the Focal 7KT or the ScanSpeak 7 (better) kit at speaker city. http://www.speakercity.com/sc_kits.shtml

They are sold as “hi-fi” speakers but are completely suitable for monitoring. For about $750 you will have a monitor whose linearity leaves those you’ve seen commonly recommended (20/20, Alesis, Mackie, etc) in the dust.

Remember, flat frequency response does not necessarily imply high linearity. 5% total harmonic distortion is not uncommon in monitors at working volume. But 5% THD is down –26dB and well hidden in the ripples of any +/- 2dB flat frequency response. A frequency response graph tells you almost nothing about a speakers linearity.

These kits I’ve recommended have flat frequency responses, and they have relatively flat harmonic distortion and intermodulation distortion graphs as well. You can’t say that about the ‘normal’ monitors.

barefoot

hmmmm hifi speakers..... well.... I know that you could get Tannoy Reveal actives. Theya re rather good indeed as are the new Yamaa ones.... or even some of the lower to mid range Genelac actives...

Yeah. They're shit hot... if you can afford that stuff then you would be spending your money wisely. It depends how serious about audio you are. I think my monitors are excellent and all-in (inc Samson Servo 170 amp) they cost m £300 which is around $450 (I think....).

Here in the UK most Mackie monitors start at 1 grand and up.... but I have been told by pro audio guys that monitors this good are only worth it if you are really serious.

Also, what kind of room do you monitor in? If you aren't a pro or very enthusiastic amateur then you probably monitor in your house in a small room. In that case perhaps nearfields would be more suitable? Those Mackie don't look at first sight to be near fields (hence you are mean to sit some way away form them).

doh... *reads what I just wrote*... i probably raised more questions than I answered but these points could be vaild.

It needs to be nearfield. My room (an enclosed portion of the garage) is about 6'x10' & very little acoustics. The larger portion of the garage has awesome acoustics but would bug the nieghbors.

as I said then Tannoy Reveal Actives . They look cool (purple sort of colour), they sound good and are nearfields.

Even better (perhaps) (also as I said before) are the new Yamaha active monitors. They are replacing the NS10s which are the industry standard. If you can find a pair of original NS10s (and u can buy them new in some shops if you look hard) u may find that they are the best option as these are meant to be very good indeed. The advantage of the replacements is that they can be adjusted to compensate for room acoustics (perhaps useful in a concrete garage!) and they are very very compact.

None of the above should cost you even near £1000.

Back