Mixer or Audio Interface..?

Nah, its been my hobby for quite a while. :P

So for starters, all I need is my software, interface, and my mic? :) Many people have also mentioned sounds cards, is that in the interface?

Nice to meet you by the way.

That's your starting point. Yes, your interface in essence, replaces your card. Monitors should be on that list as well, but you do what you can. :)

Jimmy

Quality speakers so you can hear what you are doing. The best gear in the world does nothing if you cant hear the source correctly.

Not to speak for him, (luv ya buddy) but I believe acadeko has the MultiMix and has stated that he wished he got the 1800. He thought that because of the low price that it was inferior. Not so. Just a different animal.

Oh okay, I currently have Sony noise cancelling mics for drumming. :P I may look into the speakers after I have all this stuff first.

So you say that Tascan gives me a better quality device for it's price? The alesis one also says it is a mixer and an audio interface on its website, so I was just wondering what that allows me to do?

Going out for a bit, be back in around 3 hours. :) Talk to you soon

I am not able to compare as I only own the Tascam. I would say they are different. You could run a PA with the MM if desired. Not possible with the Tascam really. Well not with channel eq. The tascam is more directly aimed at recording, where as the MM is dual purpose. No real sense in a mixer if you are just recording or use lots of outboard gear. And unless you are spending thousands, the eq's will surely be lower quality and less flexible than the DAW's are capable of with free or stock plug-ins. Plus, I like an uncluttered desk. Having a mixer I never use would be a pain. But that is just me. Your particular needs will define what is better for you.

Not sure I would ever use one unit to do both, but I could see a small band, in a rehearsal space setting, using it to do both I suppose. If serious about recording though, I would absolutely separate the tasks with gear designed to do the task at hand. Like I said, depends on what it is you need for your situation.

Oh okay.. The tascam's also cheaper by around 200 bucks... and when you purchase it, does the Cubase LE 5 48-track that comes with it come in a box? Or is it just an online download afterwards.

More money for other needed gear. You get the LE5 install disk. There is no download of LE software. That is how Steinberg knows you purchased a bundled interface and hence, the $100 discount for upgrade to a full version of Cubase with the purchase.

Yes. Must have misunderstood. The LE5 install disk comes in the Tascam US 1800 packaging. You register and activate it online with Steinberg (the company who wrote the software). LE5 is a limited edition of Cubase 5. Limited to a set amount of inserts, total track count, some virtual instrument routing and MP3 converter is a 30 day trial (only $12 to buy). I am not sure you can even upgrade to full version of 5 through Steinberg anymore now that C6 has been out for almost a year.

Many users never need the added features of a full version of Cubase. I didn't for a year worth of recording bands.

So with LE5, am I still able to record 8 mics into 8 separate tracks?
Would you recommend buying Mixcraft 5? Its only around 100$ for the full software.

16 as far as I know. I could confirm that if you like. It is at least 8. I have no experience with Mixcraft so I cannot give you a proper judgement. You should try demo's of each DAW and see what feels good to you. These days, most of the big DAW's are pretty much equal in quality of results. It really depends upon whether the way the software was written, works with the way your particular mindset works. I started with Cubase LE4 and learned it cuz I had it. I tried others since, but fall back to what I know and feel comfortable with.

Do you know if the Tascam works with mixcraft 5?

Sorry if i'm asking too many questions, i'm kinda new and there's a lot of stuff to grasp. :P

You could have a look at some Presonus stuff too, which comes with Studio One bundled in. It's the next thing to beat the likes of Pro Tools. Only £150 for an upgrade to the full version too, which gives you access to more plug ins and a mastering suite.

Okay, ill have a look. :)

=-=-=-=

jimmys:
Do you know if the Tascam works with mixcraft 5?

Sorry if i'm asking too many questions, i'm kinda new and there's a lot of stuff to grasp. :P

This is my current setup for what I think i'm going to buy...

Software
Cubase LE5
OR
Studio One Artist

Audio Interface
Tascam US 1800
OR
AudioBox 1818VSL

Vocals
PG 42

Instrumental (Acoustic guitar, drum overheads)
SM 137 x2

Bass Drum and Dynamic Mics
DMK57-52 DRUM SETUP 399

=-=-=

Any comments or other suggestions on my setup?

This poll may give some insight. If you read the threads, it is quite obvious that Reaper is the makeup of 'other'. Base your judgement of popularity from there. Base your personal selection on use of the software itself. :D

Back