Help with new equipment

(hey cyan did u get my email!!!!!!!!!!!?)

wes how much for that Pod thing!!!!!!!!! i cant belive it can mimic a 4000$ mesa amp.....seems fishy...maybe it sounds to digital?

Shredder, it's about $350 or so. I can't believe it is so inexpensive either. I ran out to buy it because I was afraid they'd increase the price. ;-)

To me, it gets a nice warm sound with lots of control. I'm doing a guitar instrumental CD along the lines of Satriani and Vai. I'm using the new Tascam US-428 (or at least I will be when I learn how to use it) which has a special version of Cubase in it.

What's your project all about and what are you using?

WOW thats funny you would say that im into guitar instrumentals as well im a big fan of joe's Crystal Planet Cd so good... Vai is great as well Jibboom owns!!!!

Im also a huge fan of John Petrucci from dream theatre i study and read all his lessons ..his vid is absolutely great as well it increased my speed by far!

Im into doing more progressive type instrumentals but not so much as heavy as dream theatre or Liquid Tension experiment stuff. i also want to incorporate piano and violin as soon as i meet the right ppl. I live in a small town with no musical talent. so im a solo artist now recording and studying music.

I just got a loan for my studio and new amp and am looking at the Mesa's. I really want a great rythm and solo amp/head. I have a Ibanez JEM 7dk its great lead but...the rythm is lacking so im hoping that a good amp will help (im currently using a Peavey Bandit 112 :/ )so im not going to buy a Pod thingy till i hear it...because after all it wil sound different coming out of my peavey speakers than any better ones so how can u really judge??????

(oih yah and read up at the top to see waht system i wil be buying to record ((So far)) im going to go Pc style im pretty sure any comment welcome on this issue.

Shredder,

I'm also a huge Dream Theater fan. Petrucci is fantastic although I'm not real huge on his tone. You should hear Satriani's new CD. All programmed except the guitar. It takes a listen to get over how different it is but once you do, it's awesome. I don't know much about the recording equipment you're buying as I'm just starting to get into the computer recording area myself. Tell you what. If you're totally sold on micing an amp, Line 6 makes a POD Pro that is rack mountable and enhances whatever head you're using. I just like the POD because I've never been able to record my amps and have the playback sound like what I heard coming out of my amp. With the POD, there are no variables. What you hear is what you get. It's totally direct. There's no mic to mess up your sound.

How long have you been playing and do you have a band?

hi wes.

Im totally confused bout the Pod how can i record with it without using a mic??? out of an amp?? :D

and also on this POD thing do u just have a bunch of set sounds mimicing different amps? or can u actually adjust lvls ,gain etc and make your own distortions and clear tones??? how many different kinds of PODS are there!!!!?

fuk i dont know if i should spend a whole bunch of cash on a Mesaboogie or if i should by these PODs !!!!!!!!!!!!

no im unfortunate whre i live im not in a band theres no one around who can play the kind of music i play :D theres actually no musicians around period :(

ive been playing for about 3 years. but i practice and study hard i can play pretty much anything accept for shredding 32nd note patterns at 200 bps (thats quite hard att this point ((not for JOhn though hehEhEh) a bit lower and im ok! i love to play fast!!!!!!

wes if u want to start a band u can move into my house up here in norther ONtario. we would rock!!!!!!!! bye for now. talkt o you l8r (how old are u ? im 19)

Tell you what. If you're totally sold on micing an amp, Line 6 makes a POD Pro that is rack mountable and enhances whatever head you're using.

what do u mean by this?

Hehehe. I'm 36 Shredder and I've been playing for about 25 years. I live in the Phoenix Arizona area after I moved here from LA. I retired from playing for a while but now with PC home recording, the internet to take the power away from the record companies, and new innovations such as Line 6, I figured I'd record the "shredder" instrumental CD I always wanted to.

Let me tell you about the POD. It's a direct box that doesn't require an amp to mike. It simulates 32 different amps. Just like if you had all of those amps, you can set the pre-gain, gain, tone, reverb, and other onboard effects like chorus, flange, and delay. You hear yourself through your headphones or your studio monitor. And, what you hear is what goes down on the recording. You could be playing and someone could open the door to the studio and, as long as it didn't mess you up playing the song, the recording would still be good. So, basically, you plug into this little kidney shaped box, set your sound, and press record. No micing, no noisy effects, just pure sound.

I have a friend who just has to surround himself with Marshall cabinets old style (he was a big Kiss fan growing up). He absolutely cannot be convinced not to plug into a Marshall. But, after he heard my little Spider practice amp produce a bigger better sound than his stacks, he decided to go out and get the POD Pro. Its a rack mounted unit that uses your amp as a preamp and then lets you use the POD Pro like you would the POD. The only real difference is that you're using your Marshall or Boogie or whatever as well.

I'd suggest you go to a good music store and demo the Line 6 stuff. Line 6 also makes a head and cabinet that looks like Marshall, Boogie, etc. called a Flextone. If you want an amp to use both in the studio and live, that would be your best bet. It sounds as awesome as the POD but its an amp.

Ya know, it occurs to me that I must be confusing you something awful. Let me try again.

The POD isn't an amp. It's a box you plug your guitar into. A direct box. That means it is a go between between the instrument and the mixer. Then you go out of the POD and into a mixer. Then you record. No speakers, therefore, no mics.

The POD Pro is like a rack mounted effects unit that you can plug into your existing rig. Then it does what a POD does (models other amps, provides effects, etc.) except you're playing through your amp (your Marshall, Boogie, whatever) out of your speaker cabinets.

The Line 6 Flextone series is an amp. However, it is equipped like the POD (with the amp models, effects, etc.) You can get the Flextone as a head and run it with a 4X12 cabinet or you can get a self contained unit (head and speakers together in one cabinet). You can also go with Line 6's lower line called the Spider. I like the 112 (one 12 inch speaker). You can get it with 210s (2 10 inch speakers) but I don't like how small 10 inch speakers sound.

I use the Spider (with the Line 6 Floorboard--channel changing, wah, volume pedal, tuner, etc.) to practice and the POD with the same Floorboard to record.

Is that any clearer?

!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY!

so there s a whole bunch of POD accessories :D

hrmmm so whats the deal mesa/ marshall get a cut out of each POD unit sold?? they must ......

sounds to goood to be true.

But maybe now ill buy a way smaller boogie amp and use the POD eq to record and run it out of the wicked boogie speakers.!

and if your that old u must be true to your tone! heh
I hope your right bout the quality of the sound in that little kidney shaped box.

(if your a POD salesman than dam u DAM U!) :D

Happy Shredding! we should swap recordings and check each others tunes

Hehehe. Yeah. I'm pretty old. Nope. I'm not a salesman. Just a guitarist who used to appreciate tips from old guys when I was young. ;-)

I'm still in the writing phase so I haven't recorded anything yet. Go ahead and send an email to wespowell@musician.net and I'll let you know when there's something I can send you as far as a recording goes.

We can also exchange guitar tips. I studied classical guitar and music theory in college and can play as well as anyone.

I play fast too. ;-)

Got lots of tips for increasing speed.

See 'ya on my email.

wow was jsut checking out the POD website...

If i bought one of there amps then i wouldnt need the POD PRO or that other kidney shaped pod right? cuz the effects and stuff are in the Heads right???

or would i need the POD pro for recording ??

No, you wouldn't actually need the POD at all. The amp does it all and you could mic it. I like the POD though because I can just plug right out of the box into the mixer and not have to mic anything.

Make sure you get the Floorboard. Great Wah.

Back