Constantly having to turn the Phantom power off and on ?

Your problem is that you were set to direct monitoring.
This is an extra problem. :p

OK, go to the Options menu, then Monitoring, then choose Smart Input.
That's from an older version of audition, so if it's not exactly right have a hoke. It'll be there somewhere.

That should sort it for ya pal.

Your problem is that you were set to direct monitoring.
This is an extra problem. :p

OK, go to the Options menu, then Monitoring, then choose Smart Input.
That's from an older version of audition, so if it's not exactly right have a hoke. It'll be there somewhere.

Yeah I wish : / That seems to work with Audition 3. Audition cs 5.5 seems to have a bit .... different set up, cuz I cant find that option anywhere. I cant even find a sub category for "monitoring" everywhere :/ Im still looking around but no luck.

This is when I love my Cubase. One little icon makes monitoring a cinch. :)

Ok, now I'm a troll. Bad Jimmy.

lol

LOL Jimmy.

And wow. All this f*cking time ( and yes im raging ) the Monitor Input option was RIGHT BESIDE MY DAMN RECORD BUTON !!!!! IT WAS FADED AND BARELY VISIBLE . it only becomes visible once I click record.... smh. Thanks so much Steenamaroo, you helped me sososo much. I wish i could thank you another way somehow but i cant unless you want me to do something or idk ! But thanks jeesus it finally works. Delay isnt to bad... voice sounds thick tho. Ima try to reduce latency with my driver.

nice one JOVI! S'all good.

It's always something simple huh? Sorry I couldn't guide you directly to it.

If latency is an issue, you can still record with direct monitoring then switch over to computer for playback.

Have a play around and see what fits for you.

LOL Jimmy.

And wow. All this f*cking time ( and yes im raging ) the Monitor Input option was RIGHT BESIDE MY DAMN RECORD BUTON !!!!! IT WAS FADED AND BARELY VISIBLE . it only becomes visible once I click record.... smh. Thanks so much Steenamaroo, you helped me sososo much. I wish i could thank you another way somehow but i cant unless you want me to do something or idk ! But thanks jeesus it finally works. Delay isnt to bad... voice sounds thick tho. Ima try to reduce latency with my driver.

I kinda figured it would be similar. Glad you found it man. Take a deep breath, have a PBJ sandwich, and enjoy. :D

nice one JOVI! S'all good.

It's always something simple huh? Sorry I couldn't guide you directly to it.

If latency is an issue, you can still record with direct monitoring then switch over to computer for playback.

Have a play around and see what fits for you.

I honestly cant thank you enough , ha.

Just one more thing - When I have it set like this, I do have to turn the line out knob on my tascam up when I want it to play through the monitors. Leaving it up, then it plays what i put into the mic. That is supposed to happen or is there a work around, BUT using this monitoring set up ?

No probs at all.

I'm not 100% sure i know what you mean, but the point is this

When you're recording, input monitor is on, line output is down, and the monitor knob is set to computer.

When you're mixing , input monitor goes off, line out goes up, and monitor knob is still set to computer.

Do the latter in that order, other wise you'll get feedback when you turn the speakers up.

No probs at all.
When you're mixing , input monitor goes off, line out goes up, and monitor knob is still set to computer.

"line out goes up" - thats what I was asking , if I could just keep it up some how :P Guess not. Thanks again ~!

Ah, not really I'm afraid.

I think the only way to do that is to have two completely separate output mixes; One for you and one for the headphones.

There may be a way to do that with what you have, but I'm not sure, and I really don't know the software well enough to advise.

Sorry Jovi, I get off here.

Having said that, if feedback was a problem before, then your mic is probably close enough to the speakers that you'd want to keep them off anyway.

This may be a result of using this "better" digital type minimal type system. In large Radio or Recording studios there are separate mixes for monitoring and Headphones developed from the versatile analog mixers to allow this condition to be avoided. In radio the speakers are disconnected by way of a relay or more properly when a Mic is turned on the amps in the room are not fed the mic audio. If your software does not allow for that then whoever designed it missed a large needed concept in the use of microphones and monitors in the same room which there will always be. You may have to look for a solution or contact Tascam if there is no way to discover how to fix this to the user. If there is no way then the product is not designed correctly. I have built radio and recording studios and normally this problem is not an issue as it is taken care of in equipment design and layout precautions. Maybe it is time to get a good mixing board.

I disagree skywave.
If the OP had two separate isolated rooms, there'd be no problem.

Since he doesn't, he's hardly going to want his monitors on while he's recording. That monitor output is going to be picked up by the mic.

Thinking about it OP, what you want is a headphone amp.
You and your singer can monitor on cans, then turn off input monitoring and turn up the speakers for listening back.

Perhaps I'm missing a trick, but that's exactly what I do.

Simple if you think about it. In the first instance use your headphones. However if you don't have a good set your monitors in the room are going to sound better, which is why I'm guessing you are using them.
As I say the simple solution is put a small piece of masking tape on your mixer to mark up for the mic level to be easily found again.
Just like in the old days of recording.
Problem solved.
ciao
BrownynH :listeningmusic:

This may be a result of using this "better" digital type minimal type system. In large Radio or Recording studios there are separate mixes for monitoring and Headphones developed from the versatile analog mixers to allow this condition to be avoided. In radio the speakers are disconnected by way of a relay or more properly when a Mic is turned on the amps in the room are not fed the mic audio. If your software does not allow for that then whoever designed it missed a large needed concept in the use of microphones and monitors in the same room which there will always be. You may have to look for a solution or contact Tascam if there is no way to discover how to fix this to the user. If there is no way then the product is not designed correctly. I have built radio and recording studios and normally this problem is not an issue as it is taken care of in equipment design and layout precautions. Maybe it is time to get a good mixing board.

I work in a radio studio as well, and it operates as you describe, i.e. activating a mike mutes the speakers. Which is exactly what you want . . . in a radio studio.

This is usually, but not always, the case in a recording studio. There have been many times when I have had mikes and monitors active . . . usually when I am doing something quick and nasty and can't be bothered with headphones.

But sometimes seriously as well. For example, recording someone playing guitar through a miked amp while they listen to the playback through the monitors . . . the bleed into the mike not being worth worrying about.

Back