4 mic preamp USB interface options?

Armistice

Son of Yoda
Howdy

Anyone know of a "shootout" online between the usual suspects in this configuration?

Talking Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Tascam US600, M Audio Fasttrack Ultra, MOTU 4pre, Lexicon Ionix 42 and anything else I might have missed?

Any particular reason you'd choose one over the other? Anything else you'd recommend?

I'm finding onboard DSP reverb and dual headphone outputs attractive options, all other things considered. S/PDIF nice but no current use for it. Inserts on the M-Audio handy but no current use for them.

Advise me, oh knowledgable recording dudes!;)

I love my Tascam US800 - you should have picked one up when they were discontinuing them! Why would you want 'onboard' reverb/DSP? Are you going to use this for live performances, or studio where you need to feed the singer a reverbed monitor signal?

I love my Tascam US800 - you should have picked one up when they were discontinuing them! Why would you want 'onboard' reverb/DSP? Are you going to use this for live performances, or studio where you need to feed the singer a reverbed monitor signal?

I work a lot with a really average singer (me!) who feels much more secure when he has reverb... but I can live without it if I have to, I guess, but I can do it easily enough with my current system, so it seems I should be able to do it easy enough with the system I'm replacing it with... :D

I'm finding onboard DSP reverb and dual headphone outputs attractive options, all other things considered

tbf this is what attracted me to the Fast Track Ultra, but in the end went for the Presonus Firestudio Mobile purely because i needed as many in's as possible and already have plenty of external pre's, and wanted something super small i could sling in my bag when needed. I ended up recommending the Fast Track Ultra to a couple of mates and they both love them. i don't know how much they use the onboard DSP stuff but they really like the two headphone out's and are both happy with the sound quality.

The focusrite stuff is, imo, very nice and was certainly a contender when i was looking. I've not used the 4pre but i used the 8pre a lot and was never that impressed with it in terms of build quality and sound quality (i thought the pres sounding really flat and boring). However, the 2 headphones on the 4pre and the smaller size does make it more attractive as an AI than the 8pre imo. I've not tried any of the tascam stuff or the lexicon AI's so can't comment.

Shopping for an interface was the third most frustrating thing to shop for ever ime (after only a new laptop and monitors!) and i spent sooooooooooooooo long looking. In the end i went for the one that fulfilled my main criteria (8 in's and small) and stuck with it. My advice; decide what the "deal breaker" bits are on your new interface and find the one that meets your criteria exactly

Shopping for an interface was the third most frustrating thing to shop for ever me

LOL - yep, I think I'm there...

So hard to get objective opinions - and I guess not a lot of people have exposure to multiple units so that's understandable. The search continues!

Thanks for the advice... I think you're right. I just have to decide that those criteria actually are... :)

I've gotta go with mjvphotos on this one, I have the smaller tascam us600 and it was easy to setup and the sound is great considering I bought it on clearance at kenneley keys for 150$.

I work a lot with a really average singer (me!) who feels much more secure when he has reverb... but I can live without it if I have to, I guess, but I can do it easily enough with my current system, so it seems I should be able to do it easy enough with the system I'm replacing it with... :D

Yeah, with an i7 2600, 8GB RAM, and 5 little tweaks of the setup of the OS, you should be able to do the same that I can do.

One of my latest projects consists of 47 tracks. 2 of them with Amplitude inserted. Two synth VSTi's and SS Trigger on 6 drum tracks. Each of 10 group channels have a Waves API 2500 compressor, PSP NobleQex and many others. Two delay FX tracks, A doubler FX track, and pitch correction running on 5 vocal tracks. I have 3 heavy hogging IR reverbs running at once as well as EQ, comp, and limiter on the output bus.

With all of this running, I just re-tracked vocals, monitoring from DAW output, with less than noticeable latency, and no lag (clicks and pop crap).

I don't see any need for DSP effects if you are going with PC balls. IMO, pick one for preamp quality and stability. Not for any fancy crap, Mr. Armistice.

:D

So Prof. Jimmy, you're saying that with the grunt I would get with the correctly configured PC as specified in my other thread (Xeon/16GB/SSD+hard drive/Win7 Pro 64) I needn't worry about DSP in the interface? That I can track with reverb or whatever the hell else added to a monitor mix without any major latency issues?

I've sorta been looking at the MOTU 828Mk3, but there are so many people out in the web that are a bit unhappy with one aspect or the other of it. It's a great looking unit, but if I don't need the DSP then perhaps there are other options I can consider for about the same $...

So Prof. Jimmy, you're saying that with the grunt I would get with the correctly configured PC as specified in my other thread (Xeon/16GB/SSD+hard drive/Win7 Pro 64) I needn't worry about DSP in the interface? That I can track with reverb or whatever the hell else added to a monitor mix without any major latency issues?

I've sorta been looking at the MOTU 828Mk3, but there are so many people out in the web that are a bit unhappy with one aspect or the other of it. It's a great looking unit, but if I don't need the DSP then perhaps there are other options I can consider for about the same $...

Mr. Armistice,

Yes, I would say that. I have a Tascam US1641 that I found for $218 when they were discontinued. That cheap 16 channel USB interface is the one I use for all my tracking. I did not have the ability to do projects like I mentioned, with my dual core HP. Not even close. Once I built the i7, I have never been able to tax it's resources. I have tried.

The US 1800 is basically the same unit. I might suggest you go there, though it is a bit limited for outputs/inputs for external gear (4 line in's and 4 line outs), and there is no way to go further than 16 input channels.

I have heard that W7 Pro is actually overkill, and presents more unnecessary crap running in it. Home Premium seems to be the best for audio as far as Windows is concerned. I could be an idiot who never reads though. :)

The MOTU you mentioned, seems to me like a bunch of stuff you really don't need, and might regret purchasing. Just my opinion though. It is really pretty...

I have heard that W7 Pro is actually overkill, and presents more unnecessary crap running in it. Home Premium seems to be the best for audio as far as Windows is concerned. I could be an idiot who never reads though. :)

The MOTU you mentioned, seems to me like a bunch of stuff you really don't need, and might regret purchasing. Just my opinion though. It is really pretty...

Yeah, I'm going to get whatever they have installed as far as OS goes, which is Pro, so I can see I'll be crippling it as much as possible... And I am wondering whether the attraction of the MOTU is more that it IS pretty... digital displays, meters etc... as much as the DSP and dual headphone outputs.

Thanks!

*throws away weeks of research and heads in completely new direction...* :laughings:

There is never wasted time researching. For $700 though, I would be looking at the RME Babyface, if 2 input channels and quality of preamps is your goal. The MOTU only has 53db of preamp gain, so much less than is recommended for low output dynamics like an SM7b. It really just seems like bells and whistles to me. I would hate to see you go there man. I mean, Mr.

:)

Yeah, I've looked at that, but breakout cables? I was looking at the Fireface UCX too but that seems to be overkill for a home studio in an untreated room recording acoustic guitar...

Seems to be a real gap between the Tascam/Presonus/Focusrite etc. "basic" interfaces and the way more expensive Summit/RME/Universal audio ones, which clearly has to do with the quality of the pres (I assume)... but I do wonder whether with what I'm doing I wouldn't just be wasting money going way upmarket. Wouldn't be the first time!

Perhaps the safest way to go is to get a Tascam/Presonus/Focusrite for a couple of hundred bucks and start that way. If I don't like it I can always revisit..

While we're chatting. Thinking of updating monitors too as the local music shop is going bust and they have a surplus of Rokit 8s and the discounts go up each week. I'm using Behringer Truth 8s at the moment. Any point? Or are they much of a muchness at that level...?

Yeah, I'm going to get whatever they have installed as far as OS goes, which is Pro, so I can see I'll be crippling it as much as possible... And I am wondering whether the attraction of the MOTU is more that it IS pretty... digital displays, meters etc... as much as the DSP and dual headphone outputs.

Thanks!

*throws away weeks of research and heads in completely new direction...* :laughings:

A couple of things:

I'm in the throes of getting ready to order a new laptop for my sound work and the question of the Windows version has come up for me as well. I called in some favours and asked some of the people involved in software development at Adobe Audition on their view of Windows 7 Home Premium vs Windows 7 Professional. The answer wasn't totally clear cut, basically being "usually Home Premium is okay but, for some items of software (especially those wanting XP or 32 bit compatibility) the Professional handles them better. There was no mention of OS bloat from the Professional version--but I guess it's just assumed that all the extras will be turned off for serious sound work anyway.

As for the MOTU, yeah it's pretty. But it also has a good reputation for quality and reliability. If you go and watch a broadway musical, chances are the computer playback will be via a MOTU because they're trusted more than most other brands.

Thanks Bobbsy! It's a shame there's not a "Windows 7 Audio/Video" version with all the crap turned off already, isn't there? I'd pay extra! Or just a single button..."optimise for audio/video" somewhere... save us all a lot of work.

I'd feel more comfy about the MOTU stuff if it didn't have such mixed reviews out there in teh interwebz... but then again, you never know who the hell it is that's posting and what they actually know.

I saw one guy bag it because he had the wrong Firewire card in his 'puter and it didn't work properly and MOTU tech support didn't tell him. I wouldn't know a firewire if it bit me, but after this research even I know that you need a Firewire card with a TI chipset, whatever that is (Texas Instruments?)... so that's hardly MOTU's fault.

There's always the argument that if it just works fine people don't log on and tell you all about it, so the fact that I've found half a dozen average review of a product that must have sold thousands doesn't necessarily mean it's no good.

And it does look mighty purdy... :)

*Sigh* Such indecision....

Yup. TI=Texas Instruments. It's not just MOTU--every Firewire card I've looked into says they only support the TI chipset. I'd love to know what's wrong with the alternatives!

I'm with you on the indecision...I have to buy a new laptop any day now (just waiting for a cheque to clear so I can afford it) and even with the two big specs I have (TI chipset Firewire and Windows 7 64 bit OS) I'm still dithering horribly.

Thanks Bobbsy! It's a shame there's not a "Windows 7 Audio/Video" version with all the crap turned off already, isn't there? I'd pay extra! Or just a single button..."optimise for audio/video" somewhere... save us all a lot of work.

Well, there kind of is that option. W7 OEM, comes with no PC manufacturer bloatware. The only 5 steps I have taken to optimize performance can be found HERE.

Granted, it is at least 28 mouse clicks. Not including clicking on the link to the instructions. It is quite daunting actually. lol!

Seriously, it is the crap that a store bought PC has in it from the manufacturer, that causes the most issues. It is not the OS itself
What I have heard about W7 Pro, is that it isn't worth the extra cash for the content that is not essential to an audio user. Whether compatibility with XP stuff is better, means noting to me, so I may have not cared that to be an issue to investigate. The XP mode does not even guarantee that all XP software will run. Hell, I have never had a problem running any XP written software that I use, that W7 HP didn't run. Of course, I do not have a back-log of old stuff that would be of issue anyway. I have never even seen a VST plugin that only worked with XP. I'm not even sure what the deal is to begin with. Even Cubase 6 works on XP, even though the OS is not supported anymore by the manufacturer Steinberg.

As far as the KRK Rockit 8's are concerned, meh. They are great for playing loud for clients when tracking in another room, but they are not my favorite for mixing. One day I will invest in much better monitors, but my Event TR8's seem to give me way more clarity than the G2 8's. I have spent much time with them, and my decisions with them are mostly correct. Plus, I found them on Craigslist for $300.The KRK 8's are way better than the 5" ones I had, but they still seem to have the same hyped low end thing going on. 'Flat' is something I would feel guilty for saying about them. They seem far from that to me.

My mileage may vary. You have to pay for your own gas. Hopefully, you don't get bad gas because the cheap station has the most colorful sign.

Just my opinion. I could be, and am likely wrong, but this is what I found from my research and experience. I was thinking of making up some stuff, but then I realized I'm not a prick. :)

Well, not often...

Win7 Pro is a superset of Home Premium. "XP Mode" is designed for really old applications which some large enterprise customers may have built their business around, specifically so Microsoft could get them to migrate off XP, which they have been trying to kill for some years now. If you have something that cannot run on Win7, you should run it on an XP system. XP Mode is not your answer. So short answer is, unless you plan to join a domain, stick with 64-bit HP, and do the basic cleanup. A modern CPU with adequate memory probably won't even be phased by some of the stuff that those cleanup lists tell you to do, honestly.

I'm using an M-Audio C600 on both Win7 and OSX 10.6.8. I like that I can run a couple channels on just bus power, so if I forget the wall wart it's not a complete disaster :). I would pick something a bit more rugged if I was packing it around a lot. (I do use it that way, but it's clearly not designed with that in mind.)

Back