Type 2 cassettes

guit30

Greetings, I review Cds, but am not a CD lover, I record songs that I like to my hi-end Onkyo deck(no longer made) ,bias adjustment, 2 motor transport.I love it, I have been re-recording over Maxell type 2s and TDK type 2s forever, but now, all I see out there are Type 1 tapes, actually bought a couple of Maxell UR90s and set the bias right and was surprised at how good it sounded. Still would like to know where I could find some Maxell, TDK or Fuji type 2 tapes, CDs are for the birds, They make a good copy source,
Jim

www.totalmedia.com

Fuji DR-II 90 is on clearance,...
Maxell XLII 60 & 90 is sold out,...
TDK SA-90 is available,...
TDC SM-60 is available, (30, 20 & 10).

Finding Type II cassettes has become slim pickins lately.:eek:;)

A store here in town has a ton of the Maxell XLII and FUJI DRII on the shelves. Maybe I should clear it out for 'em?:D

---

That TDK SM-60 is Type IV Metal tape isn't it? BE DAMNED SURE you don't use metal tape on older decks not made for it - the older heads will be quickly worn out.

AK

If there is a Walgreen's drug store near you, you should be able to find Maxell XL-II cassettes there for $1.49 each. I clear 'em out each time I stop by there and they keep restocking them, so I assume they aren't in THAT short of supply. Granted, they are the 90 minute tapes, but I haven't had any issues with that.

That TDK SM-60 is Type IV Metal tape isn't it? BE DAMNED SURE you don't use metal tape on older decks not made for it - the older heads will be quickly worn out.

AK

The TDK SM line of tapes is Type II. The "M" most likely stands for "mastering", or "Master-Grade". Specialized for "Multitracks". Your choice.:eek:;)

If there is a Walgreen's drug store near you, you should be able to find Maxell XL-II cassettes there for $1.49 each. I clear 'em out each time I stop by there and they keep restocking them, so I assume they aren't in THAT short of supply. Granted, they are the 90 minute tapes, but I haven't had any issues with that.

I'll do that when I get a chance. Our local Stater Bros market has the XLII 90 2-pack, too. I should start raiding these stocks in my spare time. I've almost always used C-90's, and have had no discernable problems with wear.

I'll have to email total media dot com and ask if they're expecting more Maxell XLII's. The last few times I've been online there were plenty of C-60's and C-90's at 99¢/ea, but now seem to be sold out! Egads!:eek:;)

Actually,...

the truth be known, I've been stocking up on Type II cassettes for several years now, with perhaps 1000 brand new cassettes in storage bins in the closet. I'm starting to think my tape stocks might outlive me if I don't kick up the production schedule,... or you'll see my wife on eBay,... "These were my husband's stockpile of tapes, but I don't know what they're worth" -type of auctions,... along with "these 100 Tascams of unknown origin and working condition for sale".... haha. No joke, though.

Whatever the number of cassettes stocked in the closet, it didn't prevent me from ordering 150 more last week from total media. Happy Fathers Day!:eek:;)

What kind of dad wants blank tape for Father's day, not a new weed wacker?

Well, I need a new weed wacker too, but I got tape!:eek:;)

I...

I managed in a few months time to buy the last 5-packs of Memorex CD2/90's from Circuit City. Now they are no-more.

Type II tapes are getting harder to find, and I'd not thought I'd be saying that so soon in our history!

Other websites may have XLII's available, but the price seems to be escalating. I think I was spoiled getting them for 99¢ from Total Media.:eek:;)

Xlii

That first link is $1.60/ea., which isn't too bad. (plus shipping!)

The second link is $2.20/ea. + $7 s/h, or $2.90/ea./delivered. You'd do 'bout the same or better finding them at Walgreens or Stater Bros.

The tape warehouse websites will give you a shipping total with your order. Remember, tapes are heavy!:eek:;)

I'd shock you guys silly if I said I thought I had a thousand new Type II cassettes of various name brands sitting in the closet.:eek:;)

That first link is $1.60/ea., which isn't too bad. (plus shipping!)

The second link is $2.20/ea. + $7 s/h, or $2.90/ea./delivered. You'd do 'bout the same or better finding them at Walgreens or Stater Bros.

The tape warehouse websites will give you a shipping total with your order. Remember, tapes are heavy!:eek:;)

I'd shock you guys silly if I said I thought I had a thousand new Type II cassettes of various name brands sitting in the closet.:eek:;)

Uhm, I've got maybe 20 type IV tapes, and 20 Maxell XL-II on the way.

I also have nearly 200 "premium" 62min type i tapes, meant for my duplicator.

How many XL-II's do you have? :)

I'm going to use up the rest of my type IV and move on to using the Maxell XL-II exclusively. There really isn't any reason not to, for my application.

blanks_and_recordings.jpg

In a word: a sh!tlo@d !!!

I've not counted just the XLII's, but believe me it's a lot!

Something in me's always wanted to take e'thing out, count it, throw in in one pile and photograph it. To throw all my reel and cassette media in a pile would be something resembling the Matterhorn!:eek:;)

To think I have maybe another thousand tapes with jams on them from almost 30 years! Wow! My mind is blown!:eek:;)

I can remember when I had my 144 that Maxell tapes were about 10 bucks each!:eek: You can't get Maxell tape in Australia anymore, so I had get some from USA through ebay. There seems to be tons of Maxell over there even though they have not been making them for years. A lot of standard low noise tape brands here are gone now too. I noticed on ebay you can get new unbranded chrome from the UK. They still make lots of tape in china, maybe they should take up the slack? I wouldn't record straight to cassette now, better to send your final master to cassette? Those cassette mechanisms are fairly weak you know.

old thread, but wow Type II is getting harder to find isn't it.

Anyone ever buy bulk "no brand" tapes? The aren't sealed, don't come with cases or labels, but can be had for about $1 each (60 min tapes).

I haven't tried the unbranded Type 2. I used to work as a duplicator at a place that used bulk unbranded Type 1 for the tapes they sold (it was lectures and conferences... Type 1 is good for that), and they were just as good as the branded usually. I guess it all depends on the quality of that particular one. I'm sure there are some that are great, and others are junk.

FWIW, I've still been able to find TDK SM-60 occasionally at Guitar Center. Last time I found some, I loaded up. Works great on my 424mk3!

Back